What is happening on Defense?

Mikie2times

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else notice that our Dfront is always floating around and getting cute. It seems like we need to put our hands in the dirt and get off on the snap of the ball.

Yep, I noticed it during the Patriots game and was slammed for commenting on it.

read more about the defensive problems here - http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/181760-carucci-disconnect-exists-between-dl-and-scheme/page-14

Good stuff, and I agree.

A few thoughts here. Its OK to be concerned about the Bills defense so far because most of us were expecting greatness, and not excuses!

Rex Ryan has a pedigree of building top defenses, and his defense usually play great against Tom Brady. In his six years as the Jets HC he never allowed 466 passing yards to ole Tom!

Brady didn't just suddenly start getting the ball out quickly, as he has been running the same offense his entire career. Rex Ryan admitted he made a mistake with his defense on Brady, as he went to a soft nickle coverage a lot in that game. Instead of getting heavy pressure on Brady he decided to try and have his DB's play a 10-15 yard cushion off the line. Because of that mistake his defense suddenly jumped to 31st in total defense, and 32nd against the pass.

Those stats changed this last game to 22nd in total defense, but still 29th in passing defense. Those stats matter!! Just like the Bills playing against the #1 defense against the run in the Giants and they held true to those stats by holding the Bills to a 2.3 ypc avg. I suppose the anti stat fans will say that the 24 rushes for only 55 yards doesn't matter, 29th in pass defense after four games doesn't matter because this excuse, that excuse, another excuse, and BTW excuse, excuse, excuse!

Is there still time for Ryan to field a Buffalo Bills top five defense this year, you bet! Will they? We honestly don't know, and if he continues to spew this crud that his defenses can't stop a QB with a quick release. News flash, Ryan Fitzpatrick has a very quick release too, and Ryan smoked Fitz when he was the Bills QB 2x in 2010, 2x in 2011, 1x in 2012. The Bills entire offense under Gailey was predicated on the quick, short pass, and guess what. He is back in the division as the Jets OC with Fitz as his QB!!

Then, no other defense has played Tom Brady better then Rex Ryan from 2009-2014 in 2013 In both games the Jets lost by 3 points each. In 2014 each game was lost by one point, and two points.

The last game against the Jets in 2014 in week 16 Brady didn't even pass for 200 yards. He went 25 of 35 for 182 yards-1 TD-1 INT.

Rex Ryan himself has said he has never had this amount of talent on a defense, so freaking pardon me If I'm not happy about being 29th in pass defense after four games. The problem is not in the defensive secondary because they have played really well from what I've seen. The problem looks to be lack of D line rotation along with far to much dropping into coverage instead of finding different ways to get to the QB, and the penalties!! JMO

I'm telling you, to my untrained eye, it's the rush angles. Last year they were pinching the pocket on every passing play (while pickling peppers). This year they seem to be rushing straighter upfield, leaving the pocket intact. It seems to me that they're doing it to better account for the rushing lanes but they're not collapsing the pocket at all. Ever. It's asinine.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too.

That was on Preston Brown. He totally got swallowed up. I re-watched the play.

They pulled two guys and only one had to make a block for the play to work. All the D was swallowed up on that one.

Edited by Fixxxer

Watching today, I had to wonder how the team would be doing if Jim Schwartz had stayed at DC and we got someone like Hue Jackson as the head coach.

Yeah, we could have had Hue and Schwartz. I hope Rex figures this shiz out.

I have to think it's scheme based issues. I know we find ourselves unsure as to what responsibilities players have in a 3-4 vs a Rex Ryan 3-4, but in a traditional 3-4 your DT is a NT/anchor. Think Ted Washington. It's a role that is meant to consume as many blockers as possible. Then you have 2 very physical DE's, almost closer to what a conventional pass rushing 4-3 DT would be. The outside backers are your real pass rushers, but they have to be athletic enough to cover as they will drop into coverage. Ideally you wouldn't want your OLB's to essentially be converted DE's.

Can Dareus be an outstanding 3-4 NT? Sure, but he's a heck of a interior pass rusher and if you make him an NT you take that away. Can Mario be an OLB? Sure. He's incredibly athletic, but do you really want him to be dropping back into coverage? Same with Hughes. On the flip side, both Hughes and Mario are not ideal 3-4 DE's. Since we don't have a true 3-4 DE, why not move Kyle over. Can Kyle be a very good 3-4 DE? Sure, he has the qualities, but it's certainly not his natural position. A 4-3 defense is what this team is built around. Mario is a text book 4-3 DE. Hughes is a mix between a 4-3 End and a 3-4 OLB. Kyle and Dareus are dominating as 4-3 DT's. This whole player fit was my concern entering the season but I felt based on Pettine it wouldn't hurt us. Well, it seems to be hurting us.

Perhaps Rex brings twice the playbook, as most have commented, this defense does not seem to be playing right now. They seem to be stuck in assignment mode, often times not even knowing the assignment. Players need to play, not think. We have the wrong roster for the system and in the ways that it's functional, Rex has done a poor job putting players in position to be successful by what is being asked of them. The whole term "A Rex Ryan" defense. I just don't think Rex knows how to dumb it down so guys can just play. He has to have his urine all over it to fit the Bravado that is Rex Ryan. I would rather have a defense not named after it's coach, but named after it's players, with a coach that is putting his players in the best places to be successful at all times regardless if it lacks some sort coaching name brand. Who is responsible for the Legion of Boom? Pete Carroll. His name doesn't get attached to it like a Rex Ryan defense, but it's one of the best defensive runs in the last 15 years. It's named after the players and I really don't think a guy like Carroll cares what they call it or what he does. He just wants to win. Rex needs to stop peeing on stuff and let the talent on this team make him look good.