Source: EJ Manuel to start Sunday for Tyrod Taylor

YoloinOhio

Yes it is the rule, and as always with NFL rules, it is in the interpretation. I don't know why people think that the only part of the rule that is applied is:

grab the inside collar of the back
and ignore this:
or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground

The operative part of the penalty is grab ... and pull the runner toward the ground.

There have been other non-calls for grabbing a jersey and pulling defenders to the ground, because the referees have interpreted the rule as any grabbing of the jersey above the numbers and where the player's knee buckles, because there's a specific proviso for that:

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

So in the pure application of the rule, that was a clear horse collar.

In a purely logic sense, the "and" implies both statements need to be true for it to be a penalty.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is THANK GOD the Bills already dumped Cassel so EJ gets the start if necessary. I like Tyrod over EJ, but I like slow death over Cassel, ok maybe I like them the same as those are the same things. Cassel is a check-down gutless joke. I can't wait for him to start AND FAIL in Dallas so all the carping by national media about the "risk" of trading him away vanishes once and for all. EJ has good an bad moments, while Cassel's last good moment is from before EJ entered the NFL.

Oh come on. Cassel had a great game the last time he played Cincy.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013122202/2013/REG16/vikings@bengals#menu=drivechart&tab=analyze

It stinks that TT got injured. Hopefully he can come back after this week, but if he is out a few weeks, the best case scenario is that there is a QB controversy because that means EJ played really well and likely led the team to wins. It is never a bad thing to have two QB's who you can win with.

Let's go EJ! Get healthy soon TT!

Yes it is the rule, and as always with NFL rules, it is in the interpretation. I don't know why people think that the only part of the rule that is applied is:

grab the inside collar of the back
and ignore this:
or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground

The operative part of the penalty is grab ... and pull the runner toward the ground.

There have been other non-calls for grabbing a jersey and pulling defenders to the ground, because the referees have interpreted the rule as any grabbing of the jersey above the numbers and where the player's knee buckles, because there's a specific proviso for that:

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

So in the pure application of the rule, that was a clear horse collar.

Believe me, I think it was a penalty, but grammatically, the sentence dictates that the hand has to be inside the jersey or pads. It cannot be interpreted in any other way using the rules of English grammar. You'll have to trust me on this one (it's kinda my living!).

I agree with eball that the rule needs to be modified to better deal with the second quote that you include in this post. After all, Mariota's legs basically buckled too, although not as sharply as Taylor's.

Edited by dave mcbride

Believe me, I think it was a penalty, but grammatically, the sentence dictates that the hand has to be inside the jersey or pads. It cannot be interpreted in any other way using the rules of English grammar. You'll have to trust me on this one (it's kinda my living!).

I agree with eball that the rule needs to be modified to better deal with the second quote that you include in this post. After all, Mariota's legs basically buckled too, although not as sharply as Taylor's.

Dave, i am not trying to be a tool, but this is from the rule book directly

This from the NFL rulebook

Article 15: Horse-Collar Tackle. No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket. Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground. Penalty: For a Horse-Collar Tackle: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down. A

Okay, noew i am confused after reading this 100 times :sick::lol:

Also weird as the ref said something about being grabbed by the numbers and not the collar when they picked up the flag against the Bills

Edited by plenzmd1

if EJ plays the way he did in the preseason then we still have a chance. if he reverts back to last year with control issues and hanging on to the ball too long then we might as well not even show up to the game. hopefully the defense can bail us out but I think Cinci will win by 1 AJ Green TD. we won't be able to score enough points unfortunately

if EJ plays the way he did in the preseason then we still have a chance. if he reverts back to last year with control issues and hanging on to the ball too long then we might as well not even show up to the game. hopefully the defense can bail us out but I think Cinci will win by 1 AJ Green TD. we won't be able to score enough points unfortunately

Crimminy, Thad Friggen Lewis has us to OT against the Bengals a week after getting here...of course we have a chance.

Article 15: Horse-Collar Tackle. No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket. Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground. Penalty: For a Horse-Collar Tackle: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down. A

This doesn't address dave's point and I think he's still right about how it's worded.

It wasn't technically a horse-collar, but it was really close. Can't blame them for calling it.

Bradham's tackle on Mariota, he had his hands farther down the jersey at the numbers, rather than the name tag.

Exactly. The absence of commas in the rule indicates that grabbing either of the below is a foul. I don't see where the "and" plays a role in where the player grabs.

inside collar of the back

the side of the shoulder pads

jersey pads

jersey

It's tough cuz TT was playing so well. Granted EJ may come in and light it up but it's safe to say that there were a few escape runs that saved our butt by Taylor in which EJ would have been sacked. The fear is EJ brings more of a one dimensional attack that makes it easier for opponents to plan for.

With that being said I'm highly grateful that Cassel isn't on the team anymore. Putting him in I think would be a train wreck with his non mobility and inability to stretch the field, especially with our RB core being depleted. We would be dead ducks vs Bungles.

If EJ wanted to make his case as starter this is his chance. Best hope is he makes it difficult to put TT back on the field. I really don't want to think of worst case.

EJ has to let it loose and show no fear. Or were in serious trouble and will be lucky to be over 500 at the midseason mark.

Edited by dezertbill

Crimminy, Thad Friggen Lewis has us to OT against the Bengals a week after getting here...of course we have a chance.

Not exactly the same Bengals team, but there is a reason that the saying Any Given Sunday exists. We're going to need a heck of a performance in all 3 phases, and it will be a tremendous help if Karlos and Sammy can go (just like we would have before the Tyrod questions)

If the Bills can put up 24 points or more, they should be in good shape.

If they are not able to pull out a victory in this game, I won't panic like many on this board.

Other than the New England game, I think pretty much every game on the remaining schedule has a reasonable chance to be a victory for the Bills. They are in a great spot right now. They need the injury train to stop and they need some players to get back in the lineup.