Players agree to cap , owners reject amount

millbank

The No. 1 issue that has plagued the NHL lockout went out the window Monday night when the NHL Players' Association offered a deal that included a $52-million US salary cap.

The surprising move was made by NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin during his secret meeting with NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly in Niagara Falls, N.Y.

Daly began the process Monday by offering a $40-million salary cap without ''linkage'' - a fixed link between player costs and league revenues, which has long been the centrepiece of the NHL's bid for cost certainty.

The union counter-offered with the $52-million team-by-team salary cap, which was rejected by the NHL. The players' proposal also featured more aggressive payroll tax thresholds and tax rates on team payrolls.

''It is indeed unfortunate that with the major steps taken by both sides today we were unable to build enough momentum to reach an agreement,'' Saskin said in a statement released early Tuesday morning.

The union's offer also included the 24 per cent salary rollback on all existing contracts.

players offer rejected

What's the point of 52 million? Calgary, Edmonton, Buffalo and many other teams can't afford to go that high with their payroll.

I heard a report on ESPN that said when they finally to solve this a year from now or beyond, as many as 10 teams could have folded. I don't believe that but what I'd like to see is the NHL return to 24 teams. I want the six Canadian teams to remain, but why do we need hockey in Miami, Anahiem, Phoenix, Atlanta, Carolina (and I live there) or Nashville?

Hockey needs to stay in the places where the fans really love and care for the game. The sport isn't about suits sitting up in luxery suites trying to finalize a business transaction! Hockey also needs the game to change because the watered down talent has made the game boring. Every night the scores are 2-0, 2-1, 3-2. Back in the mid 80's you could see a 7-5 game one night and a 3-2 game the next.

I'd love to see....

revenue sharing

more Canadian teams

skill allowed to operate

the trap outlawed

smaller goalie equipment

smaller roster sizes (18 players active for a game)

teams to hire shooting coaches