Soft CB play

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 'easy' might be a bit generous a term, especially since it didn't happen too often today.

Don't know what people want. If you are blitzing, either you want the results Pettine got, big risk big reward, with us getting burned quite a bit on the back end when the blitz doesn't get there, or you want teams to pick up a first down here and there by dinking and dunking and trust our guys to come up and make the play before the first down which they have been really good at much of the year(Jennings play notwithstanding although he stepped out of bounds)---12 yards on 3rd and 10 is better than a 60 yard TD cause the CB was playing press man with no help over the top...

Edited by matter2003

They did. A couple of those PI calls looked very iffy from the stands. How was the view from the living room?

The first one was a garbage call. The last one was definitely PI.

If its third and ten, why line up 15 yards off rather than say 6 or 7?

Because the defensive play call dictates where they line up.

Again, in certain zone calls, their responsibility is to be where they line up. Likewise, when they are in man, and have no one assigned to help over the top, they have to keep the play in front of them.

Umm, 13 pts on the road...I'm good.

Bend but don't break, baby

Both of these. This is what we did last year. Don't get beat on the big play and we only gave up 13 points.

Now against the Pats.....need to get up on them

Edited by Freddie's Ghost

We didn't cross the 50 the entire first half did we? We didn't even have a first down until one third of the game was over. When your offense does nothing whatsoever, and starts every drive at their own 20 or inside, and you still only give up 13 points when the only TD was a 30 yard drive after a PR turnover, I don't know how anyone can complain.

We didn't cross the 50 the entire first half did we? We didn't even have a first down until one third of the game was over. When your offense does nothing whatsoever, and starts every drive at their own 20 or inside, and you still only give up 13 points when the only TD was a 30 yard drive after a PR turnover, I don't know how anyone can complain.

Definitely can't complain but the Titans probably have the worst skill players this D will face this season.

The Bills D did what they are supposed to do in the second half.

Definitely can't complain but the Titans probably have the worst skill players this D will face this season.

You think they're worse than Jacksonville's skill guys? The rook in Jacksonville has been playing well, but I think Tennessee has better athletes (White, Hunter, DGB, and Walker are all big and fast). I like them more than Robinson, Lee (who I really like), Yeldon and Thomas.

... After listing them, you may be right.

Right. They basically have one real threat, Wright, who is good but not elite. Similar to the Giant game, watching it seemed like they were not playing as well as the stats and scoreboard show. There are 20 plays a game this defense is not completely set when the ball is snapped. Fans expect too much but these guys are making too many mistakes to be elite, and Rex/Thurman are not getting their skill players in the best position to succeed enough. I don't have any idea why they don't have Gilmore and Darby and Robey almost always pressing.

I think it actually helps Gilmore. He isnt an in the pocket CB and gets beat by double moves routinely. BUT lining up "off" give him more time to diagnose the route. It used to drive me batty. But after thinking about it and watching... I think its smart. You win some you lose some but you definitely limit the big plays where you get beat deep.

Don't know what people want. If you are blitzing, either you want the results Pettine got, big risk big reward, with us getting burned quite a bit on the back end when the blitz doesn't get there, or you want teams to pick up a first down here and there by dinking and dunking and trust our guys to come up and make the play before the first down which they have been really good at much of the year(Jennings play notwithstanding although he stepped out of bounds)---12 yards on 3rd and 10 is better than a 60 yard TD cause the CB was playing press man with no help over the top...

If we miss the playoffs by one game... do we have a replacement for the Music city Miracle? The famous Jennings toe tap?

I think it actually helps Gilmore. He isnt an in the pocket CB and gets beat by double moves routinely. BUT lining up "off" give him more time to diagnose the route. It used to drive me batty. But after thinking about it and watching... I think its smart. You win some you lose some but you definitely limit the big plays where you get beat deep.

I think fans everywhere expect way too much from "shutdown corners." They all give up a couple catches a game, even usually Revis, who is ridiculously good. If you give up two catches for 25 yards and no TDs as a CB, that's probably the equivalent of a 300 yard passing day by a QB and a 100 yard rushing day by a RB. I'm just making up those numbers but it's probably not far off. Gilmore is very good. So is Darby. Ridiculous for a rookie 2nd rounder.

My only real issue is when the CBs play far off the on obvious short down plays like ball on 3rd and 3. There were at least a couple first downs easily converted due to this coverage. Now if the Bills are playing a "bend but don't break" defense, then fine. But I don't think that is really Rex's philosophy.

But in the red zone, the Bills D looked pretty good, today.

My only real issue is when the CBs play far off the on obvious short down plays like ball on 3rd and 3. There were at least a couple first downs easily converted due to this coverage. Now if the Bills are playing a "bend but don't break" defense, then fine. But I don't think that is really Rex's philosophy.

But in the red zone, the Bills D looked pretty good, today.

I don't understand that either. I think the Titans were at the top of the league in redzone efficiency and TDs entering the game.

You think they're worse than Jacksonville's skill guys? The rook in Jacksonville has been playing well, but I think Tennessee has better athletes (White, Hunter, DGB, and Walker are all big and fast). I like them more than Robinson, Lee (who I really like), Yeldon and Thomas.

... After listing them, you may be right.

Allen Hurns is a legit 1200 yard type receiver for Jax.

Yet another guy is a player in the NFL but was a nobody at the U because of the lousy Joe Paterno-protege Penn State coaching staff they have.

Fire Golden!

I think fans everywhere expect way too much from "shutdown corners." They all give up a couple catches a game, even usually Revis, who is ridiculously good. If you give up two catches for 25 yards and no TDs as a CB, that's probably the equivalent of a 300 yard passing day by a QB and a 100 yard rushing day by a RB. I'm just making up those numbers but it's probably not far off. Gilmore is very good. So is Darby. Ridiculous for a rookie 2nd rounder.

For a small guy who "can't play the ball in the air" "cant defend bigger receivers" he is proving everyone... INCLUDING ME wrong. It seems to me he is the shut down of the two in terms pf who it seems was targeted the most. Seems like they test Gilmore more than Darby now.

So what, Bills shut down ODB and the entire Giants offense the second half other than 1 missed tackle by Bradham where the guy stepped out of bounds around the 30

We have some of the best CB in the league but we consistently play them 10 yards off. Why? That's why teams are dink and dunking us to death.

I have always hated seeing the Bills defenders playing 5 yards or more off of the LOS

Gilmore does it all the time and it is maddening!!!

So what, Bills shut down ODB and the entire Giants offense the second half other than 1 missed tackle by Bradham where the guy stepped out of bounds around the 30

Actually the Giants scored 3 TD's....not 1.

But their second of 3 TD drives was also only 2 plays.

Two completions to a wide open slot receiver.......who was given a free release both times while Darby and Gilmore pressed on the boundaries. :doh:

It's great to shut down ODB but it's not great to then get taken to the house by the supporting cast. :wallbash: