Bills Offensive Line ranked #9 so far this year by PFF

Big C

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/10/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5/

Summary: "A big improvement here, and it’s not hard to figure out why, with Incognito the catalyst for a much-improved run blocking effort. Cordy Glenn has been his usual self, but it’s worth pointing out that Eric Wood has really elevated his game."

As always, PFF ratings should not be taken as the be-all-end-all of football analysis, but thought this would be worth posting and discussing. We all knew Richie was playing great football, but I have felt that Cordy Glenn has been wrongly maligned by many on this board to this point. I'm sure many were just expecting him to ascend to the ranks of the elite, which was not unreasonable given the strong start to his career, but still he has been playing well.

As far as Eric Wood is concerned, the summary cites an elevation to his game. I have not particularly noticed this, unless he was just so bad last year that elevating his game this year is playing average. He is overpaid to be average, but I like the guy and of course would be happy to see him do well for us. Maybe I'm just not noticing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if last week was taken into consideration. Because they didn't look that good against the Giants. Otherwise, it's been solid.

Part is surely that there aren't as many good lines as most think and even those aren't as good as people think

I'm not sure how they rank that, but if this is true, then I blame Roman even more for his lack of creativity for spreading out defenses

Yep.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how I feel about Roman. Love him one minute hate him the next. It's so confusing. Maybe if we can just string some results together it will clarify things for me. One thing has become clear though, I hate Moron(e).

Yep.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how I feel about Roman. Love him one minute hate him the next. It's so confusing. Maybe if we can just string some results together it will clarify things for me. One thing has become clear though, I hate Moron(e).

Drastic swings in opinion drive to drive might be as much a problem you as he.

I completely don't agree with them being top ten unless there are 22 worse.... In which case I suppose I'd agree.

this is probably the way to look at it... plus our OLine is that same as other O lines in that the less injured and more play they get as a group, the better... not having Glenn or Miller for half the game last week was a factor in the loss for sure. Urbik is the backup center and Kujo is not yet ready to play. Need your #1 O Line unless you have a pro bowl QB. Must have one or the other in this league IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing of note

Kromer has now had some time with these guys after coming back from the suspension......they took the bye week off but this will make a couple of weeks counting this week.

Even though he has had his personal problems a highly regarded offensive line coach.......lets see how this plays out.

P.S. Please sign Cog to a extension ASAP

this is probably the way to look at it... plus our OLine is that same as other O lines in that the less injured and more play they get as a group, the better... not having Glenn or Miller for half the game last week was a factor in the loss for sure. Urbik is the backup center and Kujo is not yet ready to play. Need your #1 O Line unless you have a pro bowl QB. Must have one or the other in this league IMO.

I don't think you can realistically expect to have all 5 starters all the time though. The good teams are the ones who can coach guys up so there isn't so big a dropoff. The odds of any 5 given starters being available all season long are not strong. What's more important, building cohesion or gaining the ability to be functional without it? Every team is playing musical chairs with their starting lineup all season long. Further, you aren't even given the practice time before the season to establish that synergy- where you used to have two-a-days you now have unpadded practices.

I also see a lot of folks saying 'now we FINALLY have our QB, two RBs, OL and top WR all healthy together.' As if now we'll see the "real" Bills offense. Well that's great (truly) but how long do you expect this perfection to last, one game? Two if you're lucky? The coaches must be able to gameplan with the pieces they have on a given day and find a way to get production.

I don't think you can realistically expect to have all 5 starters all the time though. The good teams are the ones who can coach guys up so there isn't so big a dropoff. The odds of any 5 given starters being available all season long are not strong. What's more important, building cohesion or gaining the ability to be functional without it? Every team is playing musical chairs with their starting lineup all season long. Further, you aren't even given the practice time before the season to establish that synergy- where you used to have two-a-days you now have unpadded practices.

I also see a lot of folks saying 'now we FINALLY have our QB, two RBs, OL and top WR all healthy together.' As if now we'll see the "real" Bills offense. Well that's great (truly) but how long do you expect this perfection to last, one game? Two if you're lucky? The coaches must be able to gameplan with the pieces they have on a given day and find a way to get production.

The problem is a NFL team can take a certain amount of hits to the starting line up and still function

When a team turns into a mash unit.....you get a game like the jags

The problem is a NFL team can take a certain amount of hits to the starting line up and still function

When a team turns into a mash unit.....you get a game like the jags

Yes. I haven't been bitching about the offense the last two weeks because the one thing I give them a break for is Tyrod being out. Not much you can do with poor QB play unless you have a beast run blocking line, which we don't. At that point, is what it is, imo. But with Tyrod healthy, it's once again on like a mofo.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/10/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5/

Summary: "A big improvement here, and it’s not hard to figure out why, with Incognito the catalyst for a much-improved run blocking effort. Cordy Glenn has been his usual self, but it’s worth pointing out that Eric Wood has really elevated his game."

As always, PFF ratings should not be taken as the be-all-end-all of football analysis, but thought this would be worth posting and discussing. We all knew Richie was playing great football, but I have felt that Cordy Glenn has been wrongly maligned by many on this board to this point. I'm sure many were just expecting him to ascend to the ranks of the elite, which was not unreasonable given the strong start to his career, but still he has been playing well.

As far as Eric Wood is concerned, the summary cites an elevation to his game. I have not particularly noticed this, unless he was just so bad last year that elevating his game this year is playing average. He is overpaid to be average, but I like the guy and of course would be happy to see him do well for us. Maybe I'm just not noticing.

I think this is a reasonable ranking.. for pass protection anyway. Glenn and Incogntio have been playing at a relatively high level... Incognito especially. Wood has had a few subpar games.. however.. on the whole he has been much improved over last year. He played especially well in the Miami game. Miller/Urbik have generally been below average. Henderson started strong but decline each game leading up to his god awful performance in Tennessee where he got hurt. Kouandjio has been passable as his replacement.

In general .. the O Line has done it's job in every game this year and it's hard to blame poor QB performance on the line so far this year.. as opposed to last year when poor O Line play legitimately affected the majority of the games.