Friday's lunch is random ruminations....

Simon

I think it’s time to take the training wheels off the Tie-Rod. The staff has been grilling QB’s for months and have settled on a guy that they feel they can trust. If you’re going to make him your starter then you need to go ahead and put your full faith and credit in him and let him run a fully realized offense. If the staff is not willing to trust him to do that, then they need to reconsider if they picked the right guy in the first place. Half-measures don’t cut it in this league and Taylor hasn’t given anybody any reason to think he still needs to be protected from himself.

Props to Richie Incognito. A few years ago if he had been called for a chopblock on a guy’s ribs late in a frustrating loss, he’d have gone completely ballistic. He’d have probably jacked up a ref and it would have taken 6 Kyle Turleys to drag him back to the locker room. The fact that he shut his mouth and just kept playing was impressive and if I’m Doug Whaley, that’s the kind of thing that has me talking to his agent about an extension.

Greg Roman’s tendency to stay conservative throughout the early portion of games is not necessarily a good fit for this team. Between the talent the Bills are carrying in the Front 7 and Rex’s strength being his ability to deploy them aggressively, the Bills are a much, much more dangerous team when playing with a lead. Banging away and keeping things close does not play to this team’s strengths and I hope Rex encourages Roman to open it up a little quicker so that Rex can do likewise.

I hope that Rex has learned from experience that coaching guys to play under control does not necessarily mean you have to coach them to play less aggressively. It’s just a matter of channeling that aggression more tightly and focusing it on concentration and execution. If this team can redirect that emotional energy into their technique, they can beat anybody outside of New England. If Rex cannot teach them how to do that, they can lose to anybody outside of South Florida.

As desperate as we are to see these guys consistently winning games right now, let’s not lose sight of the fact that this is their first year under a new staff, running entirely new systems and doing so with a lot of new and different moving parts. It’s not going to all come together right at the beginning of the year; it’s going to take time before guys really starting getting comfortable in their own roles as well as with the guys around them. The start has been pretty solid, if a little inconsistent, but for the most part I think we should be encouraged that this is the kind of team that is just going to keep getting better throughout the season. Some ballcoaches say that if you’re not getting better, then you’re getting worse; I’ve got to think we’re on the right side of that equation.

Y'all have a great weekend......

Nice post Simon. I agree with much of it. The two games where they had troubles were when they went up against teams that have had the same HC and most of the staff and systems in place for over a decade. And those two head coaches are HOF material. That's a big advantage for them.

The season's far from over but they better be getting better. The Bills control their own destiny. Just win baby.

Go Bills!

The Bills control their own destiny.

I think that is absolutely the key to this entire season.

And it's been a while since they've had the good fortune to be able to feel that way. I hope they take advantage of it.

I think that is absolutely the key to this entire season.

And it's been a while since they've had the good fortune to be able to feel that way. I hope they take advantage of it.

Yep. And it feels good saying it too. We all hope they can cash it in.

I think its time to take the training wheels off the Tie-Rod. The staff has been grilling QBs for months and have settled on a guy that they feel they can trust. If youre going to make him your starter then you need to go ahead and put your full faith and credit in him and let him run a fully realized offense. If the staff is not willing to trust him to do that, then they need to reconsider if they picked the right guy in the first place. Half-measures dont cut it in this league and Taylor hasnt given anybody any reason to think he still needs to be protected from himself.

i tend to agree its time to turn him loose a bit -- but think the logic in this paragraph is shaky at best. For all we know he was the lesser of two evils, and behind the scenes he could still be giving reason to doubt (heck, even on the field as we dont know what they are asking and if he is executing it like they want). Im not arguing its the case, but possible

simply being QB1 doesnt mean hes trustworthy, and likewise being not yet worthy of the trust doesnt mean hes not our best option.

I think it’s time to take the training wheels off the Tie-Rod. The staff has been grilling QB’s for months and have settled on a guy that they feel they can trust. If you’re going to make him your starter then you need to go ahead and put your full faith and credit in him and let him run a fully realized offense. If the staff is not willing to trust him to do that, then they need to reconsider if they picked the right guy in the first place. Half-measures don’t cut it in this league and Taylor hasn’t given anybody any reason to think he still needs to be protected from himself.

Props to Richie Incognito. A few years ago if he had been called for a chopblock on a guy’s ribs late in a frustrating loss, he’d have gone completely ballistic. He’d have probably jacked up a ref and it would have taken 6 Kyle Turleys to drag him back to the locker room. The fact that he shut his mouth and just kept playing was impressive and if I’m Doug Whaley, that’s the kind of thing that has me talking to his agent about an extension.

Greg Roman’s tendency to stay conservative throughout the early portion of games is not necessarily a good fit for this team. Between the talent the Bills are carrying in the Front 7 and Rex’s strength being his ability to deploy them aggressively, the Bills are a much, much more dangerous team when playing with a lead. Banging away and keeping things close does not play to this team’s strengths and I hope Rex encourages Roman to open it up a little quicker so that Rex can do likewise.

I hope that Rex has learned from experience that coaching guys to play under control does not necessarily mean you have to coach them to play less aggressively. It’s just a matter of channeling that aggression more tightly and focusing it on concentration and execution. If this team can redirect that emotional energy into their technique, they can beat anybody outside of New England. If Rex cannot teach them how to do that, they can lose to anybody outside of South Florida.

As desperate as we are to see these guys consistently winning games right now, let’s not lose sight of the fact that this is their first year under a new staff, running entirely new systems and doing so with a lot of new and different moving parts. It’s not going to all come together right at the beginning of the year; it’s going to take time before guys really starting getting comfortable in their own roles as well as with the guys around them. The start has been pretty solid, if a little inconsistent, but for the most part I think we should be encouraged that this is the kind of team that is just going to keep getting better throughout the season. Some ballcoaches say that if you’re not getting better, then you’re getting worse; I’ve got to think we’re on the right side of that equation.

Great post, Simon. Re: the training wheels comment, though, I do think they felt hamstrung by the absence of two of their very best players last week (Watkins and McCoy).

Great stuff here, Simon. You need to contribute your insights more often.

As for TT, I agree. As I've said many times, if you don't have a QB with full reign to check in and out of plays, you really don't have a QB out there. Given the way I feel about Roman at the moment, I'd trust Taylor more than him, anyway.

TT seems to do much better with early play calls designed to get him in the flow immediately. Miami is the best example of that, but we also saw it vs. NE****. While I feel not having McCoy and Sammy, especially, put a crimp on things last week, we still could have taken better advantage of Taylor's athleticism early on which I think could have put the Giants on their heels initially.

I am putting it on Roman to restore my faith in him. No easy task vs. LeBeau and Horton to be sure, but if he wants to be mentioned as one of the more innovative OCs of this era, he needs to start looking like one more often.

GO BILLS!!!

I think its time to take the training wheels off the Tie-Rod. The staff has been grilling QBs for months and have settled on a guy that they feel they can trust. If youre going to make him your starter then you need to go ahead and put your full faith and credit in him and let him run a fully realized offense. If the staff is not willing to trust him to do that, then they need to reconsider if they picked the right guy in the first place. Half-measures dont cut it in this league and Taylor hasnt given anybody any reason to think he still needs to be protected from himself.

Props to Richie Incognito. A few years ago if he had been called for a chopblock on a guys ribs late in a frustrating loss, hed have gone completely ballistic. Hed have probably jacked up a ref and it would have taken 6 Kyle Turleys to drag him back to the locker room. The fact that he shut his mouth and just kept playing was impressive and if Im Doug Whaley, thats the kind of thing that has me talking to his agent about an extension.

Greg Romans tendency to stay conservative throughout the early portion of games is not necessarily a good fit for this team. Between the talent the Bills are carrying in the Front 7 and Rexs strength being his ability to deploy them aggressively, the Bills are a much, much more dangerous team when playing with a lead. Banging away and keeping things close does not play to this teams strengths and I hope Rex encourages Roman to open it up a little quicker so that Rex can do likewise.

I hope that Rex has learned from experience that coaching guys to play under control does not necessarily mean you have to coach them to play less aggressively. Its just a matter of channeling that aggression more tightly and focusing it on concentration and execution. If this team can redirect that emotional energy into their technique, they can beat anybody outside of New England. If Rex cannot teach them how to do that, they can lose to anybody outside of South Florida.

As desperate as we are to see these guys consistently winning games right now, lets not lose sight of the fact that this is their first year under a new staff, running entirely new systems and doing so with a lot of new and different moving parts. Its not going to all come together right at the beginning of the year; its going to take time before guys really starting getting comfortable in their own roles as well as with the guys around them. The start has been pretty solid, if a little inconsistent, but for the most part I think we should be encouraged that this is the kind of team that is just going to keep getting better throughout the season. Some ballcoaches say that if youre not getting better, then youre getting worse; Ive got to think were on the right side of that equation.

Just the post I needed going into this weekend. Thanks, Simon, you summarized it well.

i tend to agree its time to turn him loose a bit -- but think the logic in this paragraph is shaky at best. For all we know he was the lesser of two evils, and behind the scenes he could still be giving reason to doubt

Fair enough. Maybe that wasn't the best way to approach it.

I guess my concerns boil down to a) I'm not sure that kind of an offense is sustainable in the modern NFL and b) I don't think that is the best way to maximize the talent the Bills have on the roster.

I know they want to compete for championships and to do that you are going to have to lean on your QB at some point. Keeping him handcuffed to a one-read offense is not going to make him better any time soon and now is the time to let him grow. The sooner, the better.