SB Nation: Bills racking up penalties; so is the rest of NFL

YoloinOhio

Good read on penalties across the league - why they are up and how significant they are toward W/L

The Bills are racking up penalties, but so is the rest of the NFL

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/7/9428717/nfl-bills-penalty-record-season-average-totals

Conventional wisdom says that picking up penalties is a big deal, since heavily penalized teams are supposed to wind up on the losing end of games, but recent history indicates that the tallying of penalties isn't that big of a problem at all.

Last year, the Seahawks were the most penalized team in the league while the Patriots finished the regular season sixth in penalties. In 2013, the last two teams standing, the Seahawks and Broncos, were No. 1 and No. 4 in flags, respectively. Three seasons ago, the Super Bowl champion Ravens finished second in penalties, while their Super Bowl opponents, the 49ers, were eighth.

At this rate, accumulating penalties may no longer be a black mark for teams, but rather just a cost of doing business. Racking up the flags certainly hasn't gotten in the way of the last three Super Bowl winners. And while the 2011 Raiders didn't reach the playoffs, at least the Bills can take comfort in knowing that a high number of penalties doesn't always doom a team to the losing side of the scoreboard.

Edited by YoloinOhio

As I heard and what is written in the article, is that in the early weeks of any season Flags fly a lot more frequently.

With some of the newer rules these part timers are just being flag happy. I expect the #'s to drop over the next few weeks.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The games are getting to be difficult to watch. The excessive number of penalties kills the continuity and the flow of the game. The referees can call holding on every play if they wanted to. The holding penalty on Urbik was technically the right call. But it was a marginal call that didn't affect the play (my opinion). Calls are frequently made against CBs when jockeying for position with the receivers. How can the defensive player not have some conduct?

I have no problem going to the video to get the call right. But if you add the stoppages for reviewing plays and for the increasing number of penalties then the game is so fractured that it is less enjoyable to watch. I don't understand some of the rules regarding formations. What is the advantage if a TE being 6" back of the line of scrimmage?

I realize that it's difficult to legislate judgment and have the same standard league-wise. But there are so many stoppages that the game is chopped up into so many pieces that the totality of the game is diminished. I don't like where this over-officious trend is going. It is smothering the enjoyment of watching the game.

This may have been brought up already but an interesting point in WGR this morning about the offensive line penalties is that due to TT style of play/mobility in pocket and extending plays, the OL are asked to block much longer than average, which can result in more holding penalties.

The games are getting to be difficult to watch. The excessive number of penalties kills the continuity and the flow of the game.

This. It has gotten to be that after every big play, good or bad, I check the corner of the screen expecting to see the yellow flag indicator light up. They are calling WAY too much right now and need to throttle it back a bit. Officials are supposed to control the game to a degree but too often lately, they are affecting the outcome. Let them play.

In our game the other day, the talking heads were talking about how they were allowing aggressive play between the DB's and receivers, which was true...until we did it and then the laundry was back on the field.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL