Concussion-minimizing helmets in the works for NFL

YoloinOhio

They can do some things to minimize the impact a little. But when players are running that fast and their head stops abruptly from hitting something, the brain is going to hit the inside of the skull.

More to the point, your head doesn't even have to hit something for subconcussive trauma. Offensive linemen don't generally block with their heads...but the continuous impact and force of blocking still rattles the brain around inside the skull.

No helmet design is going to fix that.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is clearly the case that helmets with padding on the outside would do more to reduce concussions (and other injuries resulting from a very hard substance striking either body tissue or other vary hard substances) than anything that is done inside a hard shell helmet. However, shiny helmets with vibrant logos are much more desirable from a visual and audio standpoint and the NFL will never do anything to detract from the production value of an NFL game. Having drooling brain-impaired former players in their 50's and 60's is not enough to justify ruining the experience of watching the NFL. If there were enough outcry from fans things might change, but fans basically don't give a crap about the players once they no longer play.

The NFLPA has to take blame as well; they have resisted efforts to make things safer and defended players who made illegal hits and hurt other players.

NFL markets it's entire brand for decades on concussion collisions. Now they want to try and make the game safer with a new helmet? As many have pointed out, the helmet is what makes it unsafe. You don't see Rugby players propelling themselves into each other at the speed of cars.The brain will hit the inside of your skull no matter what happens at the type of impact we see in the NFL.

Not entirely true. You can certainly design a helmet to minimize concussions from direct impact. The same way you can design a car to minimize the force transferred to its passengers on impact. You have the shell absorb the force of the impact and deflect it around the interior. With crumple zones. That is, a one-time use helmet.

Good luck with that.

It makes good political sense for the NFL to jump behind any new safety effort, no matter how unlikely it is to effect outcome.

Hard to imagine anyone is seriously arguing that helmetless players will suffer fewer concussions. Most concussions aren't from guys "leading with their heads". Makes no sense at all.

Good news. I hope they make the helmets better and safer. Seems like the design has not changed much in years. Make em better, more shock absorbing, whatever. Turning football into rugby is stupid. The game is played with helmets and pads.

I wouldn't watch a leather helmet game either. I'm sure like most, you grew up enjoying the physicality of the sport. I mean NFL films and the NFL made a living off the knock out blow. We have been branded by the NFL to expect that and want that. I know this might be very out of taste but as a fan I would rather have it as before. I just don't like the feeling of seeing every solid hit and waiting to see if a flag is coming. In effort to protect the actual danger shots they also protect the unintentional but violent collisions. I sort of feel like at this point the players have the research. If they feel it's worth the risk that's a active choice they get to make. As for the NFL, I'm not so comfy with them as they withheld information that had detrimental outcomes to many people. People who never had the information to make an informed choice. The whole time the NFL fought it. Glad they're doing research in this area, I don't think it's likely to help, but if a chance exists go for it. I don't see any actual sincerity on the NFL end, more PR.

Edited by KzooMike

Getting rid of helmets will actually be the biggest help.

People aren't going to slam their head into someone else if it wasn't encased in crash test proof equipment.

The Helmet itself is the biggest CAUSE of concussions.

You may not know but concussion issues in AFL are beginning, certainly no protective equipment there except maybe a mouthguard.

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=66

And here's the modern version that Welker switched to:

Bd9_t7ZCYAAUIMv.png

Holy crap look at his eyes, they look dead in the second picture, like a drugged up zombie.

As mentioned in this thread, helmets aren't going to stop concussions from people moving really fast in one direction and then suddenly stopping or going in the other direction...it's shot of like being in a falling elevator and saying you will jump at the last second and wear a helmet...not going to help you in the slightest.

Now if you could slow the impact of that elevator and the ground with some padding maybe (most collision points are not helmet to helmet).

What about better shoulder pads and full body kevlar, or something like that.

Great thread -with some excellent takes on the issue! Semi-related, Hockey has only had mandatory helmets for 30 +/- years. in large part, the frozen disc was flying at greater speeds. As an undeniable outcome, elbows have come up and head-hunting is a part of the game now. The helemtless era had an inherent respect for NOT going higher than the shoulders.

My point is, the better design of the protection, the more that part of the body will come into aggressive play.

I've seen these too and have been wondering what that horseshoe cutout thing on the front is bu too lazy to look it up.

It's one of the best rated helmets based on the system that we are working on at Virginia Tech. Here's a ranking list for 2015, for reference. http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_football.php

It's one of the best rated helmets based on the system that we are working on at Virginia Tech. Here's a ranking list for 2015, for reference. http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_football.php

You seem to know what you're talking about. What is that cutout horseshoe thing on the front for?

Edited by reddogblitz

You seem to know what you're talking about. What does that cutout horseshoe thing on the front for?

It allows more of the impact to be absorbed by the helmet which reduces the amount of energy transferred to the skull & brain, basically. I haven't been on that project for a couple years now, though.

Here's a video about that exact design being tested when it came out: https://youtu.be/ahIQCy48Nuo?t=25s

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

It allows more of the impact to be absorbed by the helmet which reduces the amount of energy transferred to the skull & brain, basically. I haven't been on that project for a couple years now, though.

Thanks. That's kindof what I was thinking, but didn't know for sure. Looks like spot on the helmet would have a little give.

Getting rid of helmets will actually be the biggest help.

People aren't going to slam their head into someone else if it wasn't encased in crash test proof equipment.

The Helmet itself is the biggest CAUSE of concussions.

this is a great idea, or as someone else suggested, leather/foam type helmets. Rugby has a much lower concussion rate. Helmets also cause a good deal of knee injuries.

I've been noticing these helmets on the field. Are these for concussion prevention?

speedflex_quarter_view_lr__2_.0_standard

the look of the new helmets is also pretty sweet. Would these work w/ the Kelso type top?

I've seen these too and have been wondering what that horseshoe cutout thing on the front is bu too lazy to look it up.

Does that label say .... push here and insert brain?

needed to eliminate dumb penalties.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever