Darby and Gilmore Holding It Down on the Corner

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All pro in the making good.

Remember when so many of us initially freaked out over drafting a CB?

we surely don't miss the 2015 1st round pick. He is playing like a pro bowl vet. He's the steal of the draft. CBs like that are very, very difficult to find.

Honestly I don't know of Gilmore learned as quickly as Darby has. They're both great, and you can certainly argue that Gilmore is better right now, but the fact that Darby is this good 9 games into the season as a mid 2nd round pick really says a lot about Whaley's knack for finding hidden gems.

Remember when so many of us initially freaked out over drafting a CB?

Honestly I don't know of Gilmore learned as quickly as Darby has. They're both great, and you can certainly argue that Gilmore is better right now, but the fact that Darby is this good 9 games into the season as a mid 2nd round pick really says a lot about Whaley's knack for finding hidden gems.

You can say with 100% certainty that Gilmore's progress was not close to as fast as Darby's. He was very inconsistent his first two years, whereas Darby has been the model of consistency this season. Add to that the fact that Gilmore was aided by a far superior safety tandem of Byrd and Searcy and you get a better picture of the incredibly quick growth of Darby's game.

Denver has been lauded as the best and it's close. Talib and Harris are both great. But Talib is a nutcase and hurts his team with terrible, avoidable penalties. So I will take our guys!

Love the new avatar!

Let's hope he keeps it next Tuesday. :thumbsup:

we surely don't miss the 2015 1st round pick. He is playing like a pro bowl vet. He's the steal of the draft. CBs like that are very, very difficult to find.

Right, but if we could have had Darby AND one of the four number one picks we gave up for the Sammy Ingrate, we could have drafted a guy like Fournette out of LSU and then when McCoy and Karlos were hurt we still would have had a stud RB to play and wouldn't have lost those two games. We would be 7-2 or 8-1 now. I know he is not eligible but still, that's what good teams do, they have a plan and get guys loser teams don't think they can get.

Right, but if we could have had Darby AND one of the four number one picks we gave up for the Sammy Ingrate, we could have drafted a guy like Fournette out of LSU and then when McCoy and Karlos were hurt we still would have had a stud RB to play and wouldn't have lost those two games. We would be 7-2 or 8-1 now. I know he is not eligible but still, that's what good teams do, they have a plan and get guys loser teams don't think they can get.

:lol:

well, obviously!

Carubba Collision: Darby Denies Marshall (0:25)

This week's Carubba Collision of the Game comes courtesy of rookie cornerback Ronald Darby who stops Brandon Marshall in his tracks on 4th down to force a turnover on downs.

This was outstanding recognition by Darby before the snap. He then delivered a perfect form tackle to wrap Marshall up and stop his forward progress cold! Great play Rook!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Gilmore had a longer learning curve but he also didn't have the benefit of having another shut down CB on the roster like Darby has. Nor did he have Henderson in his rookie year, can't emphasize enough how good of a coach Henderson is.

You can say with 100% certainty that Gilmore's progress was not close to as fast as Darby's. He was very inconsistent his first two years, whereas Darby has been the model of consistency this season. Add to that the fact that Gilmore was aided by a far superior safety tandem of Byrd and Searcy and you get a better picture of the incredibly quick growth of Darby's game.

As noted above, Darby has the benefit of playing with Gilmore and being coached by Henderson. That's far more important (in my mind) than who's playing behind him in terms of Darby's progress.

Gilmore had a longer learning curve but he also didn't have the benefit of having another shut down CB on the roster like Darby has. Nor did he have Henderson in his rookie year, can't emphasize enough how good of a coach Henderson is.

As noted above, Darby has the benefit of playing with Gilmore and being coached by Henderson. That's far more important (in my mind) than who's playing behind him in terms of Darby's progress.

Gilmore also spent his first year playing for a DC that took most of the season to recognize that Gilmore's strong suit wasn't playing zone schemes. When Wanny let Gilmore shadow a WR in man coverage the last five games, his game took off. He picked right up in camp in '13 but got hurt and that derailed his game for a while. Then last year it was back to a lot more zone with Schwartz.

Ryan's preferred schemes allow him to do what he does best. Darby is lucky to be in such a defense out of the shoot.

GO BILLS!!!

Gilmore also spent his first year playing for a DC that took most of the season to recognize that Gilmore's strong suit wasn't playing zone schemes. When Wanny let Gilmore shadow a WR in man coverage the last five games, his game took off. He picked right up in camp in '13 but got hurt and that derailed his game for a while. Then last year it was back to a lot more zone with Schwartz.

Ryan's preferred schemes allow him to do what he does best. Darby is lucky to be in such a defense out of the shoot.

GO BILLS!!!

Good stuff. :beer:

Exactly. Darby would not be playing the way he is without Gilmore's guidance (or Coach Henderson). Gilmore's willingness to mentor Darby is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge for the team, and one of many reasons why we need to make sure to extend Stephon's contract far beyond 2016.

Edited by LA Grant