Darby and Gilmore Holding It Down on the Corner

Darby and Gilmore holding it down on the corner

1006-gilmore-int.jpg

Buffalo's two starting corners have more than held their own through the first month of the season. They each rank in the top 10 in several pass defense categories.

The life of a cornerback can often be thankless. The demands are high and the rewards are limited. Oftentimes they’re not noticed unless the ball comes their way and that might happen only a half dozen times a game. Buffalo’s team ranking against the pass isn’t flattering (29th) as they’re allowing almost 300 yards per game (297.8). However, through the first month of the season, rookie Ronald Darby and Stephon Gilmore have locked things down on the boundaries.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, not their fault. seems like teams that have gotten to us (pats and giants) have gone after the slot coverage and LB corp with short routes and quick passes

Seems to be the blueprint for success against us....it's a very hard offense to shut down, and Brady and co are by far the masters of it....sad to say...and Eli has two Super Bowl rings. I think we fared a little better vs Eli, especially in that 2nd half, but the first half of the game he was utilizing it to perfection.

Edited by smuvtalker

Seems to be the blueprint for success against us....it's a very hard offense to shut down, and Brady and co are by far the masters of it....sad to say...and Eli has two Super Bowl rings. I think we fared a little better vs Eli, especially in that 2nd half, but the first half of the game he was utilizing it to perfection.

Shouldnt the Dline be compensating for this by getting their hands up to knock down passes? Unless a guy is totally unblocked he's not getting their on a rush in 1.x seconds. I think Rex has been trying to fool the offense by getting them to drop back in coverage....for guys like kyle, Mario, and Dareus...I just don't see it working out. Edited by JTSP

@YardsPerPass

A lot of press man on Sunday, this secondary is so good (Gilmore on ODB at the top, still in pocket)

JampackedScientificHoki.gif

@YardsPerPass

On Randle TD, Gilmore has outside leverage bc of the dropping defenders (to stop slant), Eli fits it in tight window

WearyUniqueCrossbill.gif

Who was the safety on that play? He's about a full second late. As soon as the slot receiver (looks like Harris) doesn't fight to get inside Robey's leverage, his job is to take away the inside path of No. 1.

I do think, however, that Gilmore is a half-step late driving on the throw...he doesn't get to Randle's back shoulder like he's supposed to, so I'll give it 50/50 responsibility on that one.

Who was the safety on that play? He's about a full second late. As soon as the slot receiver (looks like Harris) doesn't fight to get inside Robey's leverage, his job is to take away the inside path of No. 1.

I do think, however, that Gilmore is a half-step late driving on the throw...he doesn't get to Randle's back shoulder like he's supposed to, so I'll give it 50/50 responsibility on that one.

I'm certain that was Rambo who was late to the scene. He's a big hitter, but his recognition isn't as quick as AW's.

From that replay it looks like the slant TD is on Preston Brown. You can see he was suppose to drip back and play zone and instead he went after the RB when Bradham already had him covered.

The linebackers have played poorly in the 2 losses.

As silly as this may be, it looks like Kyle Williams actually had responsibility for the short-zone coverage...though expecting him to get enough depth on his drop is a bit much IMO.

From listening to Rex on the radio....he was not really impressed with this type of offense

I think what the coach was trying to say is he welcomes this 1.3 second drop and fire offense because it negates any big plays down the field........

and frankly I agree with this......the longer it takes to get any kind of yardage on a drive the more chance of the drive stalling due to a bad throw....a penalty.....a turnover

Unless of course you are Tom Brady

From listening to Rex on the radio....he was not really impressed with this type of offense

I think what the coach was trying to say is he welcomes this 1.3 second drop and fire offense because it negates any big plays down the field........

and frankly I agree with this......the longer it takes to get any kind of yardage on a drive the more chance of the drive stalling due to a bad throw....a penalty.....a turnover

I mean, assuming we had proper tackling on that Jennings screen, we would have held Eli to 161 yards passing, and the Giants to 92 yards rushing. 253 yards of total offense and 16 points would be a fine day on Defense.

yep. The Jennings play aside, he was right. It might avoid sacks but the quick throws don't automatically equal success (unless you are Marcia)

I am hoping that once McKelvin comes back he can provide a shut down slot guy. The Pats* and Giants reallly hit the team hard in the slot. McKelvin in 2013 under Pettine really turned his career around playing in the slot. If Rex can turn him into that kind of corner again then teams will have a much harder time attacking the slot against the secondary.