Proud to be an American?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasnt deliberate so get off your high horse.

Somehow I missed this one.

Anyway. I'm going to backtrack. While I said the prevailing opinion was "no bigge", some have pointed out that no one actually said that. I got that impression, my mistake.

However, I will say that I dissent with the prevailing opinion that as an American I shouldn't be ashamed of the bombing. I get this from numerous posts telling me to move to Europe or that I'm an idiot for thinking that.

I'll also add that it is possible to love someone and be ashamed of some of their actions. I love my daughter, but when she got in a fight in the school cafeteria, I was ashamed of her actions. See how that works?

I also dissent with the opinion that I don't love America. I expressed such love being a certified marksman in the USMC.

Edited by reddogblitz

Anyway. I'm going to backtrack. While I said the prevailing opinion was "no bigge", some have pointed out that no one actually said that. I got that impression, my mistake.

However, I will say that I dissent with the prevailing opinion that as an American I shouldn't be ashamed of the bombing. I get this from numerous posts telling me to move to Europe or that I'm an idiot for thinking that.

I'll also add that it is possible to love someone and be ashamed of some of their actions. I love my daughter, but when she got in a fight in the school cafeteria, I was ashamed of her actions. See how that works?

I also dissent with the opinion that I don't love America. I expressed such love being a certified marksman in the USMC.

Why are you ashamed of something that our country works harder than almost everyone else, and spends more resources than anyone else, to prevent, and only happens as a horrible accident, even then only very rarely; at which point we feel remorse, and work to make sure that happens even less, because we acknowledge that even though it happens in the course of war, it's an unacceptable outcome?

How the hell is that shameful?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

However, I will say that I dissent with the prevailing opinion that as an American I shouldn't be ashamed of the bombing.

Frankly, I'd be curious to hear what else you've seen in the last seven years that makes you ashamed of the US.

Are you ashamed we left four Americans for dead in Benghazi, and then lied to everyone about what happened because it was an election year?

Are you ashamed we refuse to call the Ft. Hood murders a terrorist attack for political reasons, denying victims' families due benefits from that classification?

Are you ashamed that we are simply too incompetent to properly spell the word "reset" in Russian before handling a Fisher Price toy to the Russians?

Are you ashamed the president was announcing his intent to make the recent Oregon murders political before we even knew how many bodies were dead?

Are you ashamed we spent 10s of millions of dollars to launch a national health insurance website that not only didn't work, but was easily hacked by an eighth grader?

Are you ashamed that we can make a big deal over a nutjob murdering innocent people at a university but remain dead silent on the countless murders taking place every day in Chicago?

Anything? Nothing?

You're not an idiot for thinking that. You're an idiot because you don't think at all, or even read.

I amended it after you saw it. Please read the new one posted above. I apologize for the confusion.

I think the issue (right or wrong)is that in a thread about being proud to be an American you post about the hopital bombing. This led me to the conclusion (once again rightly or wrongly) that you are ashamed to be an American due to one incident as opposed to being ashamed of that one incident which is also kind of silly too.

I think the issue (right or wrong)is that in a thread about being proud to be an American you post about the hopital bombing. This led me to the conclusion (once again rightly or wrongly) that you are ashamed to be an American due to one incident as opposed to being ashamed of that one incident which is also kind of silly too.

And this why I'm proud to be an American (although totally pissed off about the bombing) because we can all have our own opinion and express it freely.

There's any number of reasons to be proud of being an American - no other society in history has achieved the standard of living that we have. Even our poor live at a level far above what's considered to be poverty level in other countries. We're generous with aid around the globe, we're nearly always the first ones offering help and resources to literally any country that suffers natural disasters. There are so many reasons to be proud of our nation that it would be impossible to enumerate everything.

We have indeed made mistakes, but nothing so terrible or insidious that we as a nation deserve condemnation as a whole. Americans that feel shame for being an American need to pull back and reconsider their perspective. We all have a lot to be thankful for, and we as a nation deserve the credit for giving us so much for which we can give thanks.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." -- Thomas Jefferson

Yes, but let's put that in historical context, shall we? It's "Reasoned dissent is the highest form of patriotism".

Jefferson didn't feel the need to say "Reasoned", because with him, it was implied.

As it stands today: I cannot find a single position on the entire left that is based solely on reason. And, I also cannot find one that is primarily based on reason. No. The primary goal of every single position is to pay off constituencies, who in turn provide political power. The problem: the Obama coalition is falling apart rapidly. Paying off one group pisses off another(Keystone XL). This is what happens when you promise to be everything to everyone, and your only conviction is keeping yourself in power, to the massive detriment of the rest of the D party(see: massive R control at all levels of government, not seen since the 1920s).

You end up being nothing to anyone.

Meanwhile, you've got tons of reasoned dissent in the form of ideas, plans and process, like them or hate them, coming from the Rs. Yeah, bring up Trump. :lol: Look: Trump is either running the best "rope a dope" I've ever seen, or, he's merely running interference for the rest of the field, will step aside, and king whoever he chooses to support.

In all cases, you're a fool if you can't see the "reason" in Trump's "dissent".

Where did I ascribe it to ill-will? I never typed that (If I did, SHOW ME WHERE). Stop putting words on my keyboard please.

Can somebody get a map and point out where Chechnya is for reddogblitz? :lol: (And don't F about: let him try and figure this out for himself)

Now, let's compare. USA's methods for avoiding civilian casualties...vs...everybody else's.

Name calling is always a good way to prove your point. Good job!

Name calling is what we do here after we have completely routed the opposition, or, in your case in this thread, the fight was over before it even started.

Don't misunderstand: See, it's not enough to win the argument. Anybody can do that. You also need to add both insult and injury, or, it's not really considered a win here at PPP.

The other form of winning? Pretend you give a crap about something you don't, and go after a phony, even it means arguing against what you actually think, for the sole purpose of exposing the phony...as a phony. Or perhaps crushing a poster over a movie you don't care about at all, like Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, that they watched with their kid, tell them it sucks, get them all fired up about it, and pissed off at you, and then spend the next 7 days laughing about it/showing the thread to work people.

But, those victories require a skill level that you probably don't possess.

Edited by OCinBuffalo