Great Expectations

Expectations drive reactions. As Bills fans we have learned to monitor our expectations over the playoff drought. We have been burned so repetitively and had so many moments in which we felt like we could finally let go. In the end we always found ourselves saying here we go again. Asking ourselves why did I let go, proclaiming it will never happen again. Until.....

Rex Ryan comes to town, perhaps the worst emotional fit for a fan base in the history of sports. Now I like Rex, he's a great fit for the team, but as far as how he carries himself, he has no problem energizing a fan base regardless of the danger that comes out his mouth. God could not have removed my expectation shield on this team and somehow Rex Ryan did. I think he did for most of us. Beside his promise to end the playoff drought, I saw the emergence of a potential long term fit at QB. Talented players added on offense and who wasn't drooling over Rex getting his hands on this defense? Post Week 1, it was easy to go from a normal on guard Bills fan to one who forgot we have had our intestines removed by this team for he better part of 20 years.

I think now is the the healthy time to realign. Healthy, not only as fans, but as we project the positioning of this team.

-Rex is regarded as a defensive mastermind and we have a lot of talent. The expectation was we would be the best in the NFL, at the least, top 5. Do we play better than the first 4 the rest of the way? Likely. Do we finish top 5? Unlikely. Nothing indicates that will happen so why is that the expectation anymore? I can only assume history and Rex, but each year is different. Throw history out and as far as Rex goes this team is a better fit for another scheme. Rex has said he runs a lot of 4-3 looks, but I'm still seeing a lot of 3-4 and extravagant blitzes creating isolation match up's that are killing us. Schwartz had an approach more like Seattle and completely different than Rex. Be simple, players play fast, make the team beat you on extended drives. We do have a right to be frustrated here. Top 5 should be the expectation, I'm just letting go on that as we haven't shown any ability to play at that level thus far.

-Entering the season we didn't think we had a serviceable QB on the roster. Last couple weeks some have gone as far to say we have our franchise QB on the roster. I love Taylor as much as anybody but we need to remember we didn't expect anything out of this position until Taylor showed us we might be able to expect more. We certainly will get a lot more than serviceable but if it falls short of long term starter or franchise player game to game we should not flip out. We will not get a long term answer on Taylor until much further down the road. If he plays great, it doesn't mean you should feel comfortable anointing him, and if he doesn't, we should't be calling for his head either.On this topic, Bills fans are creating their own expectations completely. Taylor was an open book to start the year and he still is.

-Roman will lead to offensive utopia. Roman was not loved by fans in SF, he was looked at as very conservative. This despite a lot of success in going to B2B Super Bowls. His game plan against the two better teams (Patriots/Giants) is likely why. Awful in the first half. When he got less conservative the offense responded. Don't expect any long term adjustments. This is how he coaches. If he has to open it up because that's what the situation calls for he will, otherwise, disproportionate ground attack early. Against the B squad, it will do well, against the A squad, it will not. Against the A squad with multiple injuries to the line, it certainly will not.

- Additions like Harvin, Clay, Richie, McCoy, and Miller will provide big strides on offense. I feel this expectation is accurate, but our line is in bad shape right now. Very bad. It stacks up to be much better if everybody is healthy, but that is not the case right now and we just can't afford injuries, especially if we want to play 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Harvin and Clay have made a strong impact. McCoy being out is a lot more painful than I would have liked to admit after today especially knowing he will be out awhile. Karlos is a great find, but McCoy is dynamic, specifically in the receiving game and we really need him in that role.

Playoffs as Rex said? No longer my expectation. I prefer my sanity. We have the ability to reach that point, but defensive regression is enough thus far to outweigh any offensive progression. I also don't see a team that is remarkably better coached. I don't know how anybody can see that right now. So I can't give us a +1 in that area based on headlines. The offensive play calling in the first half of the two losses was horrible and Rex has been very bad on the defensive side. I look at this team right now pretty much the same way I looked at last years team. They just have a higher ceiling, which historically this team doesn't reach. Lot's of time left, hopeful, but have my shield back up.

Edited by KzooMike

Expectations drive reactions. As Bills fans we have learned to monitor our expectations over the playoff drought. We have been burned so repetitively and had so many moments in which we felt like we could finally let go. In the end we always found ourselves saying here we go again. Asking ourselves why did I let go, proclaiming it will never happen again. Until.....

Rex Ryan comes to town, perhaps the worst emotional fit for a fan base in the history of sports. Now I like Rex, he's a great fit for the team, but as far as how he carries himself, he has no problem energizing a fan base regardless of the danger that comes out his mouth. God could not have removed my expectation shield on this team and somehow Rex Ryan did. I think he did for most of us. Beside his promise to end the playoff drought, I saw the emergence of a potential long term fit at QB. Talented players added on offense and who wasn't drooling over Rex getting his hands on this defense? Post Week 1, it was easy to go from a normal on guard Bills fan to one who forgot we have had our intestines removed by this team for he better part of 20 years.

I think now is the the healthy time to realign. Healthy, not only as fans, but as we project the positioning of this team.

-Rex is regarded as a defensive mastermind and we have a lot of talent. The expectation was we would be the best in the NFL, at the least, top 5. Do we play better than the first 4 the rest of the way? Likely. Do we finish top 5? Unlikely. Nothing indicates that will happen so why is that the expectation anymore? I can only assume history and Rex, but each year is different. Throw history out and as far as Rex goes this team is a better fit for another scheme. Rex has said he runs a lot of 4-3 looks, but I'm still seeing a lot of 3-4 and extravagant blitzes creating isolation match up's that are killing us. Schwartz had an approach more like Seattle and completely different than Rex. Be simple, players play fast, make the team beat you on extended drives. We do have a right to be frustrated here. Top 5 should be the expectation, I'm just letting go on that as we haven't shown any ability to play at that level thus far.

-Entering the season we didn't think we had a serviceable QB on the roster. Last couple weeks some have gone as far to say we have our franchise QB on the roster. I love Taylor as much as anybody but we need to remember we didn't expect anything out of this position until Taylor showed us we might be able to expect more. We certainly will get a lot more than serviceable but if it falls short of long term starter or franchise player game to game we should not flip out. We will not get a long term answer on Taylor until much further down the road. If he plays great, it doesn't mean you should feel comfortable anointing him, and if he doesn't, we should't be calling for his head either.On this topic, Bills fans are creating their own expectations completely. Taylor was an open book to start the year and he still is.

-Roman will lead to offensive utopia. Roman was not loved by fans in SF, he was looked at as very conservative. This despite a lot of success in going to B2B Super Bowls. His game plan against the two better teams (Patriots/Giants) is likely why. Awful in the first half. When he got less conservative the offense responded. Don't expect any long term adjustments. This is how he coaches. If he has to open it up because that's what the situation calls for he will, otherwise, disproportionate ground attack early. Against the B squad, it will do well, against the A squad, it will not. Against the A squad with multiple injuries to the line, it certainly will not.

- Additions like Harvin, Clay, Richie, McCoy, and Miller will provide big strides on offense. I feel this expectation is accurate, but our line is in bad shape right now. Very bad. It stacks up to be much better if everybody is healthy, but that is not the case right now and we just can't afford injuries, especially if we want to play 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Harvin and Clay have made a strong impact. McCoy being out is a lot more painful than I would have liked to admit after today especially knowing he will be out awhile. Karlos is a great find, but McCoy is dynamic, specifically in the receiving game and we really need him in that role.

Playoffs as Rex said? No longer my expectation. I prefer my sanity. We have the ability to reach that point, but defensive regression is enough thus far to outweigh any offensive progression. I also don't see a team that is remarkably better coached. I don't know how anybody can see that right now. So I can't give us a +1 in that area based on headlines. The offensive play calling in the first half of the two losses was horrible and Rex has been very bad on the defensive side. I look at this team right now pretty much the same way I looked at last years team. They just have a higher ceiling, which historically this team doesn't reach. Lot's of time left, hopeful, but have my shield back up.

Pretty much nailed it. Especially about the WR's. I blame Roman's philosophy as much as anything.

Great post.

Completely agree with your point on the defense and its frustrating to watch. Rex has turned this top 5 defense into a middle of the pack defense with his exaggerated schemes instead of as you said, just letting these guys play. The talent is there to win 10 to 11 games. The coaching isn't and agreed, while players didn't seem to like Marrone they were prepared and disciplined. He kicked the **** out of Rex twice last year yet he bolts and we hire Rex. This franchise is so frustrating it gets harder and harder to watch.

Agreed, players not liking a coach isn't always a bad thing. I don't think Coughlin or Belichick care too much. No matter how much of a jerk you are, players will like you when they start winning.

I, like many others, had the feeling that this was going to be a special season. But when they cut Fred after the Steelers preseason game some of the luster was lost for me and things didn't quite feel same.

We've seen other teams turn things around in recent years (just not in Buffalo) after a slow start, so all is not lost. This team is loaded with talent, we just need to see leadership emerge. As of right now I'm not sure who are the leaders on this team.

I, like many others, had the feeling that this was going to be a special season. But when they cut Fred after the Steelers preseason game some of the luster was lost for me and things didn't quite feel same.

We've seen other teams turn things around in recent years (just not in Buffalo) after a slow start, so all is not lost. This team is loaded with talent, we just need to see leadership emerge. As of right now I'm not sure who are the leaders on this team.

thanks for reminding us that we miss FredEx