My 10 cents on the game.

BmarvB

THE BIG #1) Once again, penalties, penalties, and more penalties. This time they cost us 2 TD's AND the game.

2) Roman's play calling was off this week.

3) We finally have a TE

4) Darby has all but officially taken McKelvin's job at CB.

5) I still think the defense was better with Schwartz running it.

6) Offense is still much better with Roman running it than it was under our last coordinator.

7) There were some questionable non calls from the zebras, but there still no excuse for what we saw out there.

8) TT CAN play from the pocket, and would have pulled this game out (see #1)

9) We're 0-2 vs SB winning QB's/coaches this season so far.

10) We'll take this one out on Tennessee next week.

THE BIG #1) Once again, penalties, penalties, and more penalties. This time they cost us 2 TD's AND the game.

3) We finally have a TE

6) Offense is still much better with Roman running it than it was under our last coordinator.

7) There were some questionable non calls from the zebras, but there still no excuse for what we saw out there.

#10 speaking of which another team coming off extended prep time. third one already! there is a grassy knoll

3) We finally have a TE

Agree with everything!! Great post

Gotta agree with #5 - this D was a LOT better with Schwarts!!!

#7 is also a valid point. The calls were very 1 sided. Just for example the Giants WRs got away with a lot of push-offs & their CBs got away with some obvious PIs yet not called & we were called for beathing on their players - not to mention all the muggings on Hughs, Kyle Williams, Dareus & Mario.

3) We finally have a TE

1. This was the big reason why we lost today. Especially on the Giants FG attempt.

2. Agreed. How is it that our offensive play calling was so good and creative against Miami last week, and so inept this week?

3. Clay had a rough first half, but stepped up in the 2nd half. He's good.

4. Darby should be the permanent starter, although it'll be nice to get McKelvin back and make our secondary stronger.

5. Debateable, let's see more from this defense.

6. Without question.

7. Agreed.

8. Tyrod was not the problem today.

9. Yes, but this was not a Super Bowl team they were playing today.

10. We better. No more excuses. You have to beat weaker opponents.

I'm still lost on why is it last year under Schwartz, we relied much more on only a 4 man rush and not only led the league in sacks, but were much much tougher against the run than we are now?

It was a very simple defense that allowed our superior athletes to simply beat the person in front of them. In Rex's defense the players have to think more, which is slowing them down. Or at least that's my opinion.

Absolutely.

We had a simple defensive scheme last year. Rex broke that.

On the plus side, the delay from thinking does reduce as players get used to the scheme. But part of me wonders if too much was dumped on the Defense at one time. Might be helpful to simplify a bit until the players are more comfortable.

5- Age on the DL, don't ignore it:

Mario 30

Kyle 32

Hughes 27

And Dareus is the youngster (25). Plus last year Schwartz used the strict DL rotation, so we saw a really fresh DL (particularly as opposed to the opponent's OL) late in the game. It drove some folks crazy - remember the threads after the Houston game about "why is Dareus not out there in a critical Texans drive?" - but it worked. Seattle also had great success with a similar rotation.

It was ... disciplined. "Discipline" and "Rex" never appear in the same sentence unless the words "lack of" are also there ...

I haven't looked at snap counts ... am I correct that the starters counts are way up and guys like Bryant/Charles/Lawson are considerably down?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

It was a very simple defense that allowed our superior athletes to simply beat the person in front of them. In Rex's defense the players have to think more, which is slowing them down. Or at least that's my opinion.

You're right on the money with that one! Ryan's defense is a much more complicated one than last years.