I promise to be patient with JP

stevestojan

I just don't think we will see a big dropoff in QB play next year with JP instead of Drew.

I will consider JP's season next year a success if he is able to surpass Bledsoe's numbers which shouldn't be too hard.

Bledsoe's averages for 2004:

181 yds/game

56.9% comp rate

1.25 TDs/game

1 INT/game

2.3 sacks/game

76 QB rating

Averages for our wins:

185 yds/game

58% comp rate

1.6 TDs/game

.55 INT/game

1.1 sacks/game

89.2 QB rating

Averages for our losses:

180 yds/game

55.4% comp rate

.71 TDs/game

1.57 INT/game

3.8 sacks/game

60.3 QB rating

Someone please explain to me why anyone thinks we are in BIG trouble if JP gets a chance this year. He may not turn into a superstar overnight, but does anyone really think his numbers for 2005 will be a big dropoff from Bledsoe's?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we went 5-11 or 6-10. Although I feel our defense and ST could probably win us several by themselves.

What the hell is this crap I'm reading now? Steve, you were the one that posted that your grandmother would've done just as well as Drew did this year. If our defense and special teams were solely responsible for a 9-7 record, and your grandmother would've equaled those wins, why the hell would you accept a 5 or 6 win season?!

It's like everyone who wanted Drew gone (and are apparantly getting their wish) are now covering their ass saying, "Yeah, well, we probably won't be good next year." Why the hell would you take a 9-7 team that was one play away from making the playoffs and be ok with losing nearly 50% more games next season?!?! Remember, if NC knocks down the ball against the Jags, if SOMEBODY knocks the ball down in the EZ against the Jags, if CV doesn't hold against the Jags, if Henry doesn't trip over a gopher against the Raiders, if NC's punt return isn't called back on a phantom hold, if Spikes is given a safety for being held in the EZ against Oakland, if Baker doesn't get burned for a long TD against the Raiders, if Henry gets 1 yard against the Pats (next play was a fumble for a TD), if the defense doesn't allow the Jets to score on their last possession, if Lindell doesn't miss the fieldgoal against the Steelers, if Reed doesn't throw an illegal pick (away from the play) against the Steelers, etc, etc, we would've been in the playoffs WITH DREW BLEDSOE AS QB. Why the hell is everyone in this thread saying, "We'll give him a few years??" In a couple of years our defense will most likely NOT be as dominant, nor will our special teams. We went 9-7 last year (a WINNING record), and now you're willing to go to a Bengal-like 5 win season? What the F???

Let me condsense this: Nobody is worse than Bledsoe at QB, he sucks! Let's put in a rookie and be happy with 5 wins instead of 9!!!! :blink::(:w00t::doh: HUH?!

CW

I just don't think we will see a big dropoff in QB play next year with JP instead of Drew.

I will consider JP's season next year a success if he is able to surpass Bledsoe's numbers which shouldn't be too hard.

181 yds/game

56.9% comp rate

1.25 TDs/game

1 INT/game

2.3 sacks/game

76 QB rating

Averages for our wins:

185 yds/game

58% comp rate

1.6 TDs/game

.55 INT/game

1.1 sacks/game

89.2 QB rating

Averages for our losses:

180 yds/game

55.4% comp rate

.71 TDs/game

1.57 INT/game

3.8 sacks/game

60.3 QB rating

Someone please explain to me why anyone thinks we are in BIG trouble if JP gets a chance this year. He may not turn into a superstar overnight, but does anyone really think his numbers for 2005 will be a big dropoff from Bledsoe's?

239096[/snapback]

If you're going to break numbers down, what are the numbers for the last 12 games of the season? Then what are those numbers if you take out his atrocious Ravens game?

I bet they're nowhere near as bad; but I don't know that for a fact, so post both of those scenarios if you don't mind (and/or have time).

CW

If you're going to break numbers down, what are the numbers for the last 12 games of the season?  Then what are those numbers if you take out his atrocious Ravens game?

I bet they're nowhere near as bad; but I don't know that for a fact, so post both of those scenarios if you don't mind (and/or have time).

CW

239102[/snapback]

Stats alone don't tell the story of Drew Bledsoe. But feel free to keep on the crusade... :blink:

181 yds/game

56.9% comp rate

1.25 TDs/game

1 INT/game

2.3 sacks/game

76 QB rating

Averages for our wins:

185 yds/game

58% comp rate

1.6 TDs/game

.55 INT/game

1.1 sacks/game

89.2 QB rating

Averages for our losses:

180 yds/game

55.4% comp rate

.71 TDs/game

1.57 INT/game

3.8 sacks/game

60.3 QB rating

239096[/snapback]

It's impossible to tell now because we haven't seen much of JP. My thinking is that the coaches are looking at it similar to the way you are. Bledsoe could come in show signs of greatness than make a stupid mistake. The same could be said of most rookies. However if JP is the second coming of Ryan Leaf thats a different story. Mularkey and Co. know alot more than I do so I'm going to trust their judgement. I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

Stats alone don't tell the story of Drew Bledsoe.  But feel free to keep on the crusade...  :blink:

239103[/snapback]

Es tu, AD?

Why not address my previous post where I'm trying to figure out why a 5-11 season is acceptable when *anyone* (including Steve's grandma) could've done as well as DB did this year (according to numerous posts around here anyway).

CW

I am kinda getting sick of people saying that JP is an unproven kid, or that he is injury prone. First of all, the former is obvious, the latter is bull sh--. 

The point is, we are pretty sure JP isn't gonna take us to the Super Bowl next year. We are all well aware of that.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we went 5-11 or 6-10. Although I feel our defense and ST could probably win us several by themselves.

But that being said, I promise to give the kid a chance. I will wait until AT LEAST week 8 before i make one comment about cutting him, beheading him, or equating him to Rob Johnson, or ANYTHING negative about him. I am going to give him a legitimate chance to prove himself. Should I break this promise, I will not post for a month. There.

239011[/snapback]

Im absolutely there with you brother.

I will be watching and cheering him on!!!  I will be pissed if he can't help us. 

Sorry, but my lifetime allotment of optimism has been all used up regarding this team.

239041[/snapback]

There's a true fan for ya! :blink:

Es tu, AD?

Why not address my previous post where I'm trying to figure out why a 5-11 season is acceptable when *anyone* (including Steve's grandma) could've done as well as DB did this year (according to numerous posts around here anyway).

CW

239108[/snapback]

I never said it was. I'm not enamored with the idea of starting either Losman or Bledsoe next season.

You know better than to buy a ticket for the retard rollercoaster. :blink:

You're right, and thats completely ridiculous.

I didn't say I was happy about it, but it IS realistic.  There is no other way to evaluate a QB.  Jim Kelly took almost 3 years to become big time.  McNair & Pennington (over 2 years each).  The very few immediate successes at QB can be counted on one hand.  It took Favre almost 3 years before he was routinely making plays. 

Even Brady, for all his good play, took into year 3 before the coaches really trusted him and let him open things up.  Granted, he won a SB in Year 1, but that was more because the coaches protected him and the superior talent surrounding him than anything else.

It is a looong drawn out process and its not for the impatient.  I don't like it any more than you, but thats reality unless we want to become one of the perenniel rebuilders in the NFL.  We have to commit to JP and stick to him for a good 2.5-3 years.

239043[/snapback]

Brees was about one bad game from being cut by SD this season, his third.

You know better than to buy a ticket for the retard rollercoaster.  :blink:

239112[/snapback]

You can usually just ask someone in line for their ticket. :doh:

Lets see... Pitch to McGahee, Counter to McGahee, Screen to McGahee, Direct Snap to McGahee. I think JP just might be able to handle it.

-1 yards, 0 yards, 2 yards, -4 yards, turnover on downs.

CW

Stats alone don't tell the story of Drew Bledsoe.  But feel free to keep on the crusade...  :blink:

239103[/snapback]

Absolutely correct! I never seen a stat that said "12 year veteran made bad decisions that even a rookie wouldn't have made"

It's amazing how much different a player can look on the field from what his stats are. Just look up RJ.

What the hell is this crap I'm reading now?  Steve, you were the one that posted that your grandmother would've done just as well as Drew did this year.  If our defense and special teams were solely responsible for a 9-7 record, and your grandmother would've equaled those wins, why the hell would you accept a 5 or 6 win season?!

It's like everyone who wanted Drew gone (and are apparantly getting their wish) are now covering their ass saying, "Yeah, well, we probably won't be good next year."  Why the hell would you take a 9-7 team that was one play away from making the playoffs and be ok with losing nearly 50% more games next season?!?!  Remember, if NC knocks down the ball against the Jags, if SOMEBODY knocks the ball down in the EZ against the Jags, if CV doesn't hold against the Jags, if Henry doesn't trip over a gopher against the Raiders, if NC's punt return isn't called back on a phantom hold, if Spikes is given a safety for being held in the EZ against Oakland, if Baker doesn't get burned for a long TD against the Raiders, if Henry gets 1 yard against the Pats (next play was a fumble for a TD), if the defense doesn't allow the Jets to score on their last possession, if Lindell doesn't miss the fieldgoal against the Steelers, if Reed doesn't throw an illegal pick (away from the play) against the Steelers, etc, etc, we would've been in the playoffs WITH DREW BLEDSOE AS QB.  Why the hell is everyone in this thread saying, "We'll give him a few years??"  In a couple of years our defense will most likely NOT be as dominant, nor will our special teams.  We went 9-7 last year (a WINNING record), and now you're willing to go to a Bengal-like 5 win season?  What the F???

Let me condsense this: Nobody is worse than Bledsoe at QB, he sucks!  Let's put in a rookie and be happy with 5 wins instead of 9!!!!  :blink:  :(  :w00t:  :doh:  HUH?!

CW

239097[/snapback]

Wow, I feel bad that after that long rant all I am going to say is:

Bledsoe proved he can't help the Bills win. Losman needs to eventually start. Why not have that time be NOW? He will probably take a year or two to win a playoff game, but I am willing to wait. It's better than wasting yet another season with Bledsoe. Next season we may lose with Bledsoe and we may Lose with Losman. I'd rather be going uphill than downhill, if you know what I mean.

I was exagerating when talking about my grandma... sorry I didn't make that clear.

Bledsoe proved he can't help the Bills win. Losman needs to eventually start. Why not have that time be NOW? He will probably take a year or two to win a playoff game, but I am willing to wait.  It's better than wasting yet another season with Bledsoe.  Next season we may lose with Bledsoe and we may Lose with Losman. I'd rather be going uphill than downhill, if you know what I mean.

I was exagerating when talking about my grandma... sorry I didn't make that clear.

239129[/snapback]

Well Bledsoe obviously proved that he DOES help the Bills win if we won 9 games this year and you're only expecting 5 wins next season. Your comment was basically akin to saying that any NFL-calibur QB would have equaled the 9 wins. So since we were one play away from making the playoffs with Bledsoe, why not let JPL sit the bench next year to see if we can get that ONE extra play to make it into the dance? We know that Bledsoe can get us 1 play away from the playoffs (2 of the past 3 years), so why blow everything up and rebuild yet again?

CW

I shall treat him no differently than I do any other Bill:

he's got a 1 year/16 game grace period where I may question some of his individual plays,

but I will not slam the individual.

If he shows me at least something during that grace period, all will be fine. :(

If he shows me nothing but bone-headed mistakes with no sign of improvement during that grace period, he will be slammed as soon as the grace period is over until he either turns things around or leaves town. :blink:

Bottom line, you've got to royally suck for a long time to get on my sh--list,

I'm fairly easy-going. :doh:

Well Bledsoe obviously proved that he DOES help the Bills win if we won 9 games this year and you're only expecting 5 wins next season.  Your comment was basically akin to saying that any NFL-calibur QB would have equaled the 9 wins.  So since we were one play away from making the playoffs with Bledsoe, why not let JPL sit the bench next year to see if we can get that ONE extra play to make it into the dance?  We know that Bledsoe can get us 1 play away from the playoffs (2 of the past 3 years), so why blow everything up and rebuild yet again?

CW

239134[/snapback]

You keep saying Bledsoe got us one play away.

I am in the mindset that if we had a different QB, we would have been 100 plays within the playoffs (if that makes sense).

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a guy like Brady, or Manning, or Culpepper, or McNabb, but those guys are few and far between.

Yes, I understand what I am saying is kind of contradictory.. I GET IT.

But I AM SICK of watching Bledsoe F-CK things up.

Do you know how many times last season I was MORE at ease, and thinking we were going to SCORE when the DEFENSE was on the field? Bledsoe gave me anxiety EVERY time he had the ball.

It sucks, it might be a growing year, but until Donavan McNabb says he wants to play for the Bills, I say let JP get his snaps in ... NOW (so we're not having this same argument next year).

You can usually just ask someone in line for their ticket. :blink:

-1 yards, 0 yards, 2 yards, -4 yards, turnover on downs.

CW

239122[/snapback]

Fez,

I dont see your logic. If mediocre play from Drew meant one play out of the playoffs, then mediocre play from JP should do just as well. If he simply scrambles out of 2 of those key sacks for fumbles and TD's by Drew we go to the playoffs. NE game and Steelers game is what Im refering to.

I think the mindset that mediocre play from the QB is all we need is flawed. I think the Bills are thinking chances are decent that they dont take a step back as far as games won with JP at the helm next year but even if they do, they will take 2 steps forward when JP lives up to his potential with more experience. 2 steps forward from JP may mean winning the division outright and earning a great shot at the SB, something that TD and Co. think Drew just wont do anymore.

Again, Id rather take 1 step back in 2005 with JP, to take 2 or 3 steps forward in 2006 that to continue to take 1/2 a step back each and every year with Drew.

It's just that what I see in Losman is a kid who I don't think can make the jump to NFL-paced ball...particularly if he starts this year (if he does, I expect the experience will ruin him). That doesn't mean I want him to fail, or I'm some "anti-Losman" zealot who wants him to fail. I just think it more likely than not that three years from now, we'll all be bitching on how TD ruined two drafts with one busted pick.

I hear you Tom, and I've made all the same arguments to myself.

But, we don't really know how bad Bledsoe played. He must have been really bad. By that I mean, wrong receiver, wrong plays, the open man was there etc. Point is, we don't know what play was called, what the specific options were and what the film showed. By now, the coaches have reviewed the whole season of film, been around Drew all year and know what he is capable of. Apparently, they don't think much of him and would rather turn to JP, probably not because of what JP can do, but what Bledsoe can't do. I know, not very reassuring.

The point is that if they take the 14 million they have in cap room, resign Jonas and Pat, a LG and a TE, draft a backup RB and sign a vet backup, we should be allright. Its too early for predictions b/c the schedule hasn't come out (Buffalo weather games etc.), but I think the plan isto make the rest of the team Super Bowl worthy and let JP grow into the role. A big accomplishment for us this year would be a playoff season.

I am kinda getting sick of people saying that JP is an unproven kid, or that he is injury prone. First of all, the former is obvious, the latter is bull sh--. 

The point is, we are pretty sure JP isn't gonna take us to the Super Bowl next year. We are all well aware of that.

But that being said, I promise to give the kid a chance. I will wait until AT LEAST week 8 before i make one comment about cutting him, beheading him, or equating him to Rob Johnson, or ANYTHING negative about him. I am going to give him a legitimate chance to prove himself. Should I break this promise, I will not post for a month. There.

239011[/snapback]

I will be patient with him, as long as he is Buffalo Bill...other than Flutie, I have never had any animosity for any Bills player...some people here seem to need to have a Bills punching bag at all times...whatever floats your boat! The Flutie animosity I have/had is not even rational, and I never tried to rationalize it with anyone. Couldn't stand him before he was a Bill, begrudgingly shut my mouth when he played for us (and won some fun games), and was glad to see him go...I haven't really seen anyone bash Losman, only express concerns (valid IMO) that the Bills are finally seeming to turn a corner, and banking so much on such an unknown commodity seems sort of like an unecessary risk. I thought drafting McGahee was kind of dumb at the time (never disliked the guy), but at least we are relatively sure that the guy is a player, before we get/got rid of Henry.