Darby named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month!

YoloinOhio

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darby has responded better than anyone expected to suddenly being a starter. As someone pointed out, he plays like a 1st round pick. The fact that people are wondering if McLovin gets his job back instead of worrying about how long it will take for him to return is a great development. No one felt good about his preseason games 1 & 3.

The numbers look very good, coming against some great QB talent, but what is most impressive is how quickly he learns and applies what he has been taught. If he can punish Eli for targeting him over and over, teams will have to consider throwing more at Gilmore. This is all predicated on Rambo not accidentally destroying him, of course.

Also, Whaley has done a magnificent job putting this roster together, but we actually have some friggin'real coaches now. I don't think Darby's development would have been this rapid under previous coaching regimes.

I'll admit I didn't know who he was when the Bills drafted him, but when I looked at his size, speed, and the fact that no one threw his way in college, I wondered why he wasn't the first CB taken. The Bills got a steal.

Hah!

FWIW, Rowe had a nice pick last Sunday to foil a potential TD pass from Fitzy.

I was convinced to like Rowe more than Darby by those that know better. I confess, I really didn't know much about either to know better at the time. Glad to hear Rowe had a pick, though. I know some were wondering why he wasn't getting more time in Philly. Given how Darby is developing, I think there is merit to letting these young, athletic corners take their lumps early. Darby seems to have developed faster as a result. That said, I don't worry about Darby vs. smaller receivers. I can see him struggling against the AJ Greens of the league, though.

GO BILLS!!!

@Rand_Getlin: What makes Darby's league-leading opposing QB rating allowed more impressive? He's the 3rd-most targeted corner in the @NFL through 3 weeks.

This is the most telling aspect in my mind. He's got a bullseye on his back and he is making QBs pay for targeting him. It's early, but Rex is gonna start reaping the benefits as Darby's progression give him more scheme flexibility. Can't wait.

GO BILLS!!!

Also, Whaley has done a magnificent job putting this roster together, but we actually have some friggin'real coaches now. I don't think Darby's development would have been this rapid under previous coaching regimes.

In general I agree with you. But our very good DB coach, Donnie Henderson, has been with the Bills since 2013.

Doug Whaley for GM on the year.......

As time ticks away I become more and more convinced we have one of the best GM's in the league. Sometimes you scratch your head at a move he makes like trading away Kiko. Time ends up showing it was probably a good move.

The guy drafts really well in my opinion. He is very good at judging football talent.

I dont think any of this would be possible without the Pegulas

CBF

I'm glad we have an owner with deep pockets who isn't afraid to pay for talent. Because if this team continues to ascend the ranks of the NFL, the Pegula's will be forced to dig deep in their pockets to retain some of these guys in the front office.

Edited by PolishDave

Awesome!! Happy for the kid, he's definitely stepped up to the challenge. I was just hoping he'd fill in admirably until McKelvin returned, now I'm thinking we should keep him in the starting lineup. This kid is a gamer and a ballhawk....

McKelvin to the Nickel?

@Rand_Getlin: What makes Darby's league-leading opposing QB rating allowed more impressive? He's the 3rd-most targeted corner in the @NFL through 3 weeks.

That is am awesome stat.

One thing I've noticed he's improved at significantly since preseason is getting his head turned around. That seemed to be his biggest problem. When I watched this past game a second time, it really stood out to me how quickly he was snapping his head around to look for the ball. He could have had three picks this past game. One if Ranbo didn't give him his second head shot and the other on the last jump ball. He was in great position and located the ball well. I hope he keeps it up.