Penalty that happens many times per game but is never called

Big Turk

I see this at LEAST 5-6 times per game but its never called.

A player will go in motion and then at the end of the motion he will be moving slightly forward, which is illegal and should be a penalty, but its never called. Just have always wondered why the rule is in place but yet players consistently get away with it.

There are a lot of penalties not called every time committed. The refs I believe try to generally follow the spirit of the rule sometimes and while they would clearly hit a guy taking a running start up field they are less apt to hit a guy simply being soft when getting set.

So, the Bills should have even more penalties against them...

All teams should...every team does it, pretty much every time a player goes in motion at the end he takes a few jab steps and those steps are usually moving forward...watch it next time you see a man go in motion.

just for the record, the fins first TD was from an illegal formation. The TE was covered by the WR, and the TE went out, which should have called back the TD....

These are the kinds of rules I hate. What is the purpose of the illegal formation rules such as this other than to slow down the game?

I see this at LEAST 5-6 times per game but its never called.

A player will go in motion and then at the end of the motion he will be moving slightly forward, which is illegal and should be a penalty, but its never called. Just have always wondered why the rule is in place but yet players consistently get away with it.

I thought this thread would be about holding and pick infractions by the Pats*. These aren't called either.

These are the kinds of rules I hate. What is the purpose of the illegal formation rules such as this other than to slow down the game?

I believe to prevent the utterly ridiculous formations that coaches may otherwise push-- though we normally see it just on borderline stuff.

The one penalty that happens all the time, and is NEVER called, is ineligible man downfield.

It happens on nearly every type of screen play; there will be a lineman at least 2-3 yards past the LOS.

I thought the rule was 5 yards?