Who's going to be the first coach fired this year?

BmarvB

I can tell you who might be next...Jim Cauldwell 0-4 Lions

Talk about wasted talent. Stafford, Megatron, Golden Tate, AND the #3 defense in the NFL is now ranked 29th.

Welp, now the Lions are 1-7 at the bye week, and their schedule doesn't get easier.

Gee, the Detroit Lions went 11-5 last year and were in the playoffs.

Will it be Gunther Cunningham taking over during the bye week or will Martha wait until the end of the season?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will they? Really? I am not so sure teams are desperate to head back to the past. Unless Cowher indicates that he is ready to come back to coaching everyone will continue to presume he is done, same with Gruden. Shanahan is a likely interviewee, but Wade as much as I have great respect for him is done in the NFL as a Head Coach. He will be 69 by the time the 2016 season kicks off. How many 69 year old retreads are there? Phillips had no interest as a DC until his old mate Kubiak got a job again and I have to believe age was a major factor in that.

Every year Cowher, and Gruden get asked if they will interview for a head coaching job, and every year they decline. Cowher has stated that he still has the passion to be a head coach in the NFL again, and should the right opportunity present itself I think he would take it. Same thing with Gruden.

Cowher has said he wouldn't take a job that didn't already have an established franchise QB. I presume mostly because of all the years he spent in Pittsburgh without one. The Colts might just be that team this off season, or the Cowboys. Seriously, don't be surprised if Pagano / Garrett keep losing that fiery owners like Jerry Jones, Jim Irsay will make him an offer he can't refuse.

On another note, I can recall that Cowher did interview with Buffalo back in 2010 when the team let it be known that they would pay ten million per for the right HC. Ralph Wilson took that info from the interview, and hired the man Cowher stated he would hire as his OC in Chan Gailey.

Every year Cowher, and Gruden get asked if they will interview for a head coaching job, and every year they decline. Cowher has stated that he still has the passion to be a head coach in the NFL again, and should the right opportunity present itself I think he would take it. Same thing with Gruden.

Cowher has said he wouldn't take a job that didn't already have an established franchise QB. I presume mostly because of all the years he spent in Pittsburgh without one. The Colts might just be that team this off season, or the Cowboys. Seriously, don't be surprised if Pagano / Garrett keep losing that fiery owners like Jerry Jones, Jim Irsay will make him an offer he can't refuse.

On another note, I can recall that Cowher did interview with Buffalo back in 2010 when the team let it be known that they would pay ten million per for the right HC. Ralph Wilson took that info from the interview, and hired the man Cowher stated he would hire as his OC in Chan Gailey.

I know all that but we are here every year with Cowher and Gruden and neither of them have returned. I frankly would be very surprised if Cowher ever coached in the NFL again. If either of them gave a strong indication that they are ready to come back then they would be names that teams would "go hard" after. But I don't think either of them will. How many jobs have not been available at least once since they walked away? Only New England, Cincinnati, Green Bay and New Orleans by my count. If they were really serious about coming back then there has been plenty of opportunity to do so by now.

The actual first cabs off the rank for me (within the NFL - others are much better qualified than I to say who the hot college names might be) are:

Josh McDaniels - New England Patriots - OC - If he wants a HC job next year he will get one.

Hue Jackson - Cincinnati Bengals - OC - The man I'd have appointed in Buffalo last summer will get a lot of credit for the perceived improvement in Dalton.

Kyle Shanahan - Atlanta Falcons - OC - Produces offenses that move the ball wherever he goes.

Frank Reich - San Diego Chargers - OC - They lead the league in total offense and he got interviews last spring.

Sean McDermott - Carolina Panthers - DC - Continues to lose pieces and continues to have a productive defense.

Vic Fangio - Chicago Bears - DC - Has turned around a frankly dreadful Bears defense.

Doug Marrone - Jacksonville Jaguars - OL - With every Bills defeat Marrone's stock rises further. If this team ends up worse than 8-8 we all but assure Marrone HC interviews in January.

EDIT: Wildcard is Harold Goodwin - OC in Arizona. He has been with Arians a long time and there is no finer offensive mind to learn from.

Edited by GunnerBill

This is bad news for our boy Roman. That little man is going to be a head coach somewhere. Colts would be a decent fit.

Imo

I kinda doubt it only because the owner is such a jackass. I'd be willing to be that he wants a more high profile man in Indy now, and probably a new GM to boot. The OC was the scapegoat this week, but the GM takes the blame for the bad O line, the Trent Richardson decision, and trading away Jerry Hughes. I think Irsay will wait until the season is over.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/10/31/indianapolis-colts-general-manager-nfl-draft-ryan-grigson/74956570/

My

My money is on Caldwell after his recent comment about the media

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/03/jim-caldwell-has-found-the-lions-problem-the-negative-media/

CBF

My money is on Cauldwell next with the asst HC taking over should the losing continue. 1-7 , and they are a bad, bad team. Dunno how Caldwell managed to screw that team up so fast.

Hope Greg Roman is smarter then jumping onto the Colts and the drug addled Irsay. I think he has something yet to prove here in Buffalo yet. I sure hope he feels the same way. although having Luck is a dangling carrot isn't it ?