Cleveland Browns are a disaster...

Big Turk

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this an issue? Fantasy betting? you'd think the NFL would have bigger problems to worry about. like how games are unwatchable due to excessive penalties.

@ProFootballTalk: NFL looking into Browns' decision to list CB Joe Haden as probable and then to deactivate him http://t.co/z7gU3XUmb5

Edited by YoloinOhio

No, let me apologize and you are right in that a weak, depleted secondary can truly hurt a team because even the greatest lines are unable to provide pressure on every down.

If Darcy plays at this level or improves, he will be a total steal. It's hard to break into the NFL as a corner. Sometimes they take a few years to develop, and the next thing you know they are UFAs demanding 50 million dollar and up contracts. I for one would much rather spend the money on a quarterback and big guys.

Successful teams such as Baltimore, Green Bay, Pitts etc have a simple philosophy: draft according to the ranking on your draft board regardless of position. You can't be completely absolute about that approach because you have to to a degree factor in positional needs and roster positional strengths.

The Bills were very interested in Keuchly in his draft year. He was taken. So Nix stuck with his board and selected Gilmore. That selection demonstrates that it was the right approach to take.

Successful teams mostly build their roster through the drafts. The best way to build the roster is to draft the highest rated players. It's an easy concept to understand and a challenging concept to execute.

I have heard Whaley talk about his drafting philosophy on a number of occasions. He has repeatedly emphasized that it is essential to stick to your board and not reach for needs. It's tempting to do but in the long run it will not work.

My point is that that your team is more likely to be successful when you focus on drafting talent over drafting for positions. Where I slightly differ with your approach is that I believe that you can still bolster your OL and DL by staying within the framework of following your draft board rankings. It seems to me that you get too fixated on the positions being drafted in the first round. The other rounds count also!