Spiller M.I.A. in New Orleans

BuffaloBill

Whatever.

The interior of our line was horrible the past few years. If you are one of those who loves to bash CJ, you would continue to bash him without recognizing that plays were being blown up because of inept blocking.

If you are one of those guys who loves to bash CJ, you will take time out of your day to do so after week 3 of the season when he is coming off a knee injury. Not exactly a fair sample size.

Shady had 1.5 yards per carry against Miami. I am not going to pull what the CJ haters would do and try to argue that Shady is a horrible back when the guy has a lingering hamstring injury.

Of course, if it were CJ, guys on this board would be all over him -- just like they were when he was playing through a high ankle sprain.

Oh well . . . carry on CJ bashers.

It's either the line's fault, the coach's fault, the injuy's fault, the weather's fault, the referee's fault, the chef's fault, the guy who flew the chartered plane's fault, the fan's fault or his mama's fault. But it's never CJ's fault.

Football players who can't overcome injuries or who can't not-be injured are ineffective football players, regardless of their potential...which CJ has plenty of. But, if injuries keep holding him back, and I won't argue that they haven't, then--sorry--once again, all the guy has is what he could do...if only.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's either the line's fault, the coach's fault, the injuy's fault, the weather's fault, the referee's fault, the chef's fault, the guy who flew the chartered plane's fault, the fan's fault or his mama's fault. But it's never CJ's fault.

Football players who can't overcome injuries or who can't not-be injured are ineffective football players, regardless of their potential...which CJ has plenty of. But, if injuries keep holding him back, and I won't argue that they haven't, then--sorry--once again, all the guy has is what he could do...if only.

yet you would be the first to argue injury and coaching hurt fred the last two years, i bet.

Is it possible that some here on this board have a ridiculously over-inflated opinion of Spiller?

Year after year he puts up mediocre numbers and the experts at TBD continue to blame stupid coaches for not using him correctly. Granted, we've had stupid coaches. That point can't be argued. But most people in the football world view Sean Payton as an innovative offensive mind. If Spiller was as good as some here claim, it seems logical that Payton would be able to use him.

My personal opinion is that Spiller is a gifted athlete but he is dumb as a bag of rocks. He is not mentally capable of comprehending a complex offensive scheme. He depends on his athletic ability to make a few dynamite plays here and there and leaves some fans thinking that the offense should be built around him.

Is it possible that some here on this board have a ridiculously over-inflated opinion of Spiller?

Year after year he puts up mediocre numbers and the experts at TBD continue to blame stupid coaches for not using him correctly. Granted, we've had stupid coaches. That point can't be argued. But most people in the football world view Sean Payton as an innovative offensive mind. If Spiller was as good as some here claim, it seems logical that Payton would be able to use him.

My personal opinion is that Spiller is a gifted athlete but he is dumb as a bag of rocks. He is not mentally capable of comprehending a complex offensive scheme. He depends on his athletic ability to make a few dynamite plays here and there and leaves some fans thinking that the offense should be built around him.

Fans, as one would expect, simply HATE to admit that a first round draft selection was a waste, bust, or whatever one would wish to call it.

Not me. Spiller was an idiotic selection, almost as dumb as taking Whitner.

That point can't be argued. But most people in the football world view Sean Payton as an innovative offensive mind. If Spiller was as good as some here claim, it seems logical that Payton would be able to use him.

while i think he will have some really explosive weeks, id look to reggie bush in that offense as a comp and point out that SP will likely have him in a boom or bust role week to week. limited, but quality touches.

You obviously look at CJ (as others do) through your "hate CJ glasses." Again, whatever. Another poster now says that CJ "is dumb as a bag of rocks." Wow.

I would love for the keyboard jockeys to try walking with a high ankle sprain -- let alone try playing in the NFL with one.

I am not going to spend a lot of time today arguing about CJ. You guys can resume your circle . . . . Maybe tomorrow you guys can start another thread on the subject. Those were "good times" when the CJ haters would start a daily thread bashing CJ . . . and the mods did not seem to care about closing down those threads as vigilantly as other threads that remotely touched on similar topics.

You obviously look at CJ (as others do) through your "hate CJ glasses." Again, whatever. Another poster now says that CJ "is dumb as a bag of rocks." Wow.

I would love for the keyboard jockeys to try walking with a high ankle sprain -- let alone try playing in the NFL with one.

I am not going to spend a lot of time today arguing about CJ. You guys can resume your circle . . . . Maybe tomorrow you guys can start another thread on the subject. Those were "good times" when the CJ haters would start a daily thread bashing CJ . . . and the mods did not seem to care about closing down those threads as vigilantly as other threads that remotely touched on similar topics.

So pencil you down for 5 years then?

Few posters here are more staunchly pro-player than me. That's a fact. Sorry, but about this time last year, I hopped off the Spiller bandwagon. I was done telling people to "wait until...." If there was a baby, Spiller, in his 5+ years in the league has never showed it to us. Period. Done. End of story. You can continue--as I accurately predicted you and others supporters would--arguing that he COULD be a great player. I'll happily concede that point. I believe it myself. But I won't sit here and tell you he IS a great player, because he simply HAS NEVER shown that he is, save for a 12-15 game stretch in the middle of his 83 game career.

It's a bit amusing that for **** talked about CJ, McCoy has had the same exact issues here... banged up, can't run with much success up the gut, and tries to bounce too much outside. But, McCoy, like CJ, has had success in systems where they are given the ball space to make moves.

It's a bit amusing that for **** talked about CJ, McCoy has had the same exact issues here... banged up, can't run with much success up the gut, and tries to bounce too much outside. But, McCoy, like CJ, has had success in systems where they are given the ball space to make moves.

It's only been 3 games. If this trend stays throughout the season people will talk plenty about McCoy's failures.

It's only been 3 games. If this trend stays throughout the season people will talk plenty about McCoy's failures.

They already are in other threads :lol:

I'm fine with both players. I'm of the belief that most players in the league depend on circumstance whether they are "good" or "bad", only a handful are actually great regardless of where they are, who their coaches are, the talent surrounding them, etc.

McCoy has a history of success. CJ does not. Seems like that is not hard to figure out why...and I think CJ is a talented player.

Sammy, is that you?

Sorry, but this is a false equivalent of the most outrageous kind.

McCoy has struggled through three games. It's not even remotely hypocritical to have patience with him and not with Spiller. Why?

Well, geeze, let's see, since 2010:

McCoy has played in 77 games, has 6,301 rushing yards, 40 rushing TD's, 2,057 rec yards and 11 rec TD's.

Spiller has played in 72 games, has 3,332 rushing yards, 12 rushing TD's, 1, 236 rec yards and 6 rec TD's.

Yeah, I'd say McCoy has earned the longer leash. Why? Well, because I've been saying over and over and over and over again in this thread, unlike Spiller, he's actually DONE something in the league.

Year 4 of "just wait, he's gonna be awesome." Going for the 4 peat Ryan?

2011 never happened. Just block it all out folks.

He wasn't borderline MVP or anything. Then he got hurt. Can't act like he's as bad as yall say.

Nobody is questioning the man's potential.

But, again, until he actually DOES something, and SUSTAINS it over a meaningful period of time, I'm not sure what exactly it is you're expecting from him.

The argument is and always has been "he could be great therefore he's great" vs. "he could be great, but quite frankly he never has been."

I know, he had like a 12 game stretch when he was superb. Fantastic. This is his sixth year in the league. His positive performances are far-outweighed by a body of evidence to the counter.

Spiller and McKelvin forever. I stand by my men. He was the breasts in 2011 and should be returning kicks and punts always.

Edited by Ryan L Billz