Spiller M.I.A. in New Orleans

BuffaloBill

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea he's definetly done because of ankle injury and it being week 3 and all.

Put your I told you so flag away for a few months please.

Nobody is questioning the man's potential.

But, again, until he actually DOES something, and SUSTAINS it over a meaningful period of time, I'm not sure what exactly it is you're expecting from him.

The argument is and always has been "he could be great therefore he's great" vs. "he could be great, but quite frankly he never has been."

I know, he had like a 12 game stretch when he was superb. Fantastic. This is his sixth year in the league. His positive performances are far-outweighed by a body of evidence to the counter.

Nobody is questioning the man's potential.

But, again, until he actually DOES something, and SUSTAINS it over a meaningful period of time, I'm not sure what exactly it is you're expecting from him.

The argument is and always has been "he could be great therefore he's great" vs. "he could be great, but quite frankly he never has been."

I know, he had like a 12 game stretch when he was superb. Fantastic. This is his sixth year in the league. His positive performances are far-outweighed by a body of evidence to the counter.

I am questioning his potential. These undersized speed backs need to evade tacklers to be worth using instead of someone with more power who can get tough yards. CJ has no shake n bake to his game, just speed. The first tackler gets him virtually every time.

Then throw in suspect vision, anticipation, timing, balance.

Edited by Aaron

Over the past few years, this board has been well known for (among other things):

(1) Certain individuals who love to get together and bash CJ;

(2) Mods who will shut down/close any thread that is remotely similar to another thread EXCEPT FOR threads bashing CJ (and a few other subjects).

I hope the CJ bashers stick around as the season progresses . . . .

What I don't get is they traded away Jimmy Graham in order to get under the cap, but went out and signed CJ. I know they're not exactly equivalent, but if you're so cash strapped that you're getting rid of your top offensive weapon you'd think you'd be thrifty with what you spend in free agency. At a minimum you'd think you'd USE the acquisition you went out and got. That line of thinking has me with a useless spot on my fantasy football roster though.

Year 4 of "just wait, he's gonna be awesome." Going for the 4 peat Ryan?

Over the past few years, this board has been well known for (among other things):

(1) Certain individuals who love to get together and bash CJ;

(2) Mods who will shut down/close any thread that is remotely similar to another thread EXCEPT FOR threads bashing CJ (and a few other subjects).

I hope the CJ bashers stick around as the season progresses . . . .

Per Fire's post...what about those of us who are in year six of sticking around?

Seriously, the rebuttal...for six !@#$ing years now...has been "just you wait."

Well, we're all still waiting.

What I don't get is they traded away Jimmy Graham in order to get under the cap, but went out and signed CJ. I know they're not exactly equivalent, but if you're so cash strapped that you're getting rid of your top offensive weapon you'd think you'd be thrifty with what you spend in free agency. At a minimum you'd think you'd USE the acquisition you went out and got. That line of thinking has me with a useless spot on my fantasy football roster though.

thats not why they traded jimmy. they are worse off in the cap because of it.

they traded jimmy because he essentially stopped blocking in the running game, and was a malcontent in the locker room. theres already rumors out of seattle that hes unhappy with his role, and they arent thrilled with his efforts - though i saw he scored a td this week, which may soften the frustration.

Edited by NoSaint

Per Fire's post...what about those of us who are in year six of sticking around?

Seriously, the rebuttal...for six !@#$ing years now...has been "just you wait."

Well, we're all still waiting.

Whatever.

The interior of our line was horrible the past few years. If you are one of those who loves to bash CJ, you would continue to bash him without recognizing that plays were being blown up because of inept blocking.

If you are one of those guys who loves to bash CJ, you will take time out of your day to do so after week 3 of the season when he is coming off a knee injury. Not exactly a fair sample size.

Shady had 1.5 yards per carry against Miami. I am not going to pull what the CJ haters would do and try to argue that Shady is a horrible back when the guy has a lingering hamstring injury.

Of course, if it were CJ, guys on this board would be all over him -- just like they were when he was playing through a high ankle sprain.

Oh well . . . carry on CJ bashers.

when run directly into several 300 lbs men that are unblocked he was often gotten quickly. at his high point he was the most elusive back in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/16/signature-stats-elusive-rating/

Thanks for the link. Maybe you're right and I'm skewed by the last 2 years, though I have a hard time believing there was ever a time CJ was more elusive than Shady McCoy (15th on their list) or Fred Jackson (14th). He did have chances (not enough of them) under Marrone to make one guy miss and gain a chunk, and failed, whereas Fred was still able to do this regularly.

Also interesting to see Mr. Bryce Brown 6th on their list.