Official Mets lovefest thread

Rob's House

Yeah, I'm going to disagree with this, as well. I actually think Collins deserves to be Manager of the Year. I'm not sure how he could have handled that pitching staff any better, to be honest. He handled the Harvey situation well. He kept Syndergaard's pitch count down. He went against the grain with a 6 man rotation, which could very well be a big reason that these guys are still throwing mid-90s in the late innings in late October. He adjusted when Matz was injured. He's got Colon and Niese in the bullpen without any backlash or attitude; they've clearly embraced their roles.

The only questionable move I can think of (off the top of my head) was when he brought Familia in against the Dodgers when the Mets were leading by double digits (regular season; back in July - I only remember because I was watching it whilst eating dinner with my family in NYC) - then the next night Familia blew a save.

I respect your opinion, but I just don't see it.

Agreed, to a man everybody expected the Mets to not seriously contend until next year. Collins kept the ship on course early in the season scratching out wins when they couldn't score runs to save their lives. Now I mean Alderson helped the lineup out tremendously at the trade deadline, noone is disputing that, but the way Collins has handled this young pitching staff as been nothing short of brilliant. If he doesn't get manager of the year they shouldn't even have the award.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm going to disagree with this, as well. I actually think Collins deserves to be Manager of the Year. I'm not sure how he could have handled that pitching staff any better, to be honest. He handled the Harvey situation well. He kept Syndergaard's pitch count down. He went against the grain with a 6 man rotation, which could very well be a big reason that these guys are still throwing mid-90s in the late innings in late October. He adjusted when Matz was injured. He's got Colon and Niese in the bullpen without any backlash or attitude; they've clearly embraced their roles.

The only questionable move I can think of (off the top of my head) was when he brought Familia in against the Dodgers when the Mets were leading by double digits (regular season; back in July - I only remember because I was watching it whilst eating dinner with my family in NYC) - then the next night Familia blew a save.

I respect your opinion, but I just don't see it.

Agreed, to a man everybody expected the Mets to not seriously contend until next year. Collins kept the ship on course early in the season scratching out wins when they couldn't score runs to save their lives. Now I mean Alderson helped the lineup out tremendously at the trade deadline, noone is disputing that, but the way Collins has handled this young pitching staff as been nothing short of brilliant. If he doesn't get manager of the year they shouldn't even have the award.

Ok, ok, I understand we have differing perspectives on the situation. I haven't been a big fan of Collins, but I'm happy as hell they are where they are right now. I am an admitted "text alert" fan during the regular season because I just can't spend the time watching baseball, but I felt as though the Mets won in spite of Collins a good part of the year -- and I thought he was bad in G5 of the Dodgers series but Murphy bailed him out. I will accept your very well-reasoned responses.

Let's go Mets!

Ok, ok, I understand we have differing perspectives on the situation. I haven't been a big fan of Collins, but I'm happy as hell they are where they are right now. I am an admitted "text alert" fan during the regular season because I just can't spend the time watching baseball, but I felt as though the Mets won in spite of Collins a good part of the year -- and I thought he was bad in G5 of the Dodgers series but Murphy bailed him out. I will accept your very well-reasoned responses.

Let's go Mets!

In game 5 I did question him that he brought familia in for 6 outs & didn't run Thor out there for the 8th after he was hitting the radar gun at 100mph in the 7th but it worked out so obviously he made the right call. I didn't watch every Mets game this year but I did watch at least part of quite a bit of them & honestly not too many things Collins has done this year has angered me. I think he has done a great job.

In game 5 I did question him that he brought familia in for 6 outs & didn't run Thor out there for the 8th after he was hitting the radar gun at 100mph in the 7th but it worked out so obviously he made the right call. I didn't watch every Mets game this year but I did watch at least part of quite a bit of them & honestly not too many things Collins has done this year has angered me. I think he has done a great job.

Ha -- fair enough, but just because "it worked out" doesn't make it the right call. Thor was throwing smoke and Familia had never had a 6-out save. Anyway, we're both happy now.

Ha -- fair enough, but just because "it worked out" doesn't make it the right call. Thor was throwing smoke and Familia had never had a 6-out save. Anyway, we're both happy now.

I, too, was shocked when he took Syndergaard out. It worried me and I didn't like it.

But then it dawned on me ... Collins began managing for the postseason in April.

I think he started managing for the World Series during the NLDS. He knows he's going to need starters to continue to eat innings, so I'm only guessing that this move was all about keeping Thor's pitch count down.

But like you said ... it worked out and we're all happy with the outcome!

Nice to be here!

Especially since you have some ex Jay players

You so got the better deal on the Dickey trade

CBF

You know that was one deal where the Mets made where I said good riddens to the Mets player, The Mets weren't going anywhere, Dickey was going to cost a ton of money & I could tell the league was going to start catching up with him. In return we got a top flight catcher & a young kid that throws harder than anybody out there besides probably Chapman. It took a few years for this trade to start paying dividends but it is looking like a steal right now.

You know that was one deal where the Mets made where I said good riddens to the Mets player, The Mets weren't going anywhere, Dickey was going to cost a ton of money & I could tell the league was going to start catching up with him. In return we got a top flight catcher & a young kid that throws harder than anybody out there besides probably Chapman. It took a few years for this trade to start paying dividends but it is looking like a steal right now.

lol -- riddance. But I agree with you completely; was not at all unhappy to see Dickey go. Never been a fan of the "gimmick" pitchers, even though some have had great careers.

Yeah I am hoping the Jays dont re-sign him and give the money to Price instead

CBF

BTW don't give up on your team yet. Uphill battle but if their bats start getting hot they could at least send the series back to KC. That lineup when clicking is deadly.

Now that's the kind of clincher I like...put 'em down early, no stress. Back to the WS!

I was thinking about it this morning...of all my "favorite" teams in the major professional or college sports (NFL, NHL, MLB, NCAA) I've only celebrated four true championships (NYM '86, UNC '93, '05, '09). Looking for #5 -- Let's go Mets!

What are we thinking the pitching rotation will be...deGrom, Harvey, Thor, Matz?

Edited by eball

Now that's the kind of clincher I like...put 'em down early, no stress. Back to the WS!

I was thinking about it this morning...of all my "favorite" teams in the major professional or college sports (NFL, NHL, MLB, NCAA) I've only celebrated four true championships (NYM '86, UNC '93, '05, '09). Looking for #5 -- Let's go Mets!

What are we thinking the pitching rotation will be...deGrom, Harvey, Thor, Matz?

That rotation would be ideal, IMO.

How effing funny is it that Harvey is the "old guy," in this rotation? That is some good stuff.

I thought about that last night. I have been a Mets fan since 83 & a Bills fan since 86. I have celebrated one championship in what amounts to 60 + seasons of routing for my teams. I like UNC & outside of Cuse I would probably say they are my favorite team but I am more of a college basketball fan as a whole & definately a Syracuse fan first when it comes to college bball so I don't count their championships.

I would go with same order as this series, Harvey, Thor, Degrom, Mastz with the thought process that this series whoever they play is going 7 games & I want Degrom pitching Game 7. They are all going to get 2 starts(besides Matz) so what is the difference what order they go in.

Also, Thor has been much better @ Citi then on the road. I would definately give him a home start.

That rotation would be ideal, IMO.

How effing funny is it that Harvey is the "old guy," in this rotation? That is some good stuff.

& we get Wheeler back next year. He has electric stuff if he could get better control. Harvey/Degrom/Thor/Matz/Wheeler next year. No team in the league can even come close to matching the young power pitching that the Mets have.

I thought about that last night. I have been a Mets fan since 83 & a Bills fan since 86. I have celebrated one championship in what amounts to 60 + seasons of routing for my teams. I like UNC & outside of Cuse I would probably say they are my favorite team but I am more of a college basketball fan as a whole & definately a Syracuse fan first when it comes to college bball so I don't count their championships.

I would go with same order as this series, Harvey, Thor, Degrom, Mastz with the thought process that this series whoever they play is going 7 games & I want Degrom pitching Game 7. They are all going to get 2 starts(besides Matz) so what is the difference what order they go in.

Also, Thor has been much better @ Citi then on the road. I would definately give him a home start.

& we get Wheeler back next year. He has electric stuff if he could get better control. Harvey/Degrom/Thor/Matz/Wheeler next year. No team in the league can even come close to matching the young power pitching that the Mets have.

At least one of them has to be trade bait, eventually, though. I'd imagine affording all five of those guys for the long term is all but impossible. But right now, I'm just gonna enjoy 2015.