Official Mets lovefest thread

Rob's House

1969 here. Saw them for my first MLB game July 20, 1970. Tom Seaver vs. Gaylord Perry with Willie Mays being honored before the game for recently getting his 3000th hit.

Loved the Mets and liked the Yankees. Then, the Yankees were on TV every night, so I loved the Yankees and liked the Mets.

Then, I went away to college in 1980 with a lot of NY/LI/NJ people - and lots of Mets fans. I found out quick how much Mets fans hate the Yankees, so in 10 years they went from my favorite team to my most hated team.

I must be softening because I was rooting big time for them against the Dodgers, even with Donnie Baseball.

Damn, I had the date a week off. Turns out Seaver and Perry both pitched complete games. I remember Joe Foy's home run, but not Cleon Jones':

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYN/NYN197007270.shtml

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game; great win!

I did not like Collins' decision to start Cuddyer at 1st over Duda. I know Duda is slumping and I know Cudduyer had success/experience against Lester. But I still didn't agree with the move. Let's hope it lights a fire under Duda's ass.

Murph comes through again with the bat and the glove. This guy is playing out of his mind right now.

The Mets are showing why they are where they are. On many other teams, if Duda, Wright and ace speeds are silenced, the team would crumble. But not on great teams.

Collins is obviously not in a hurry to use middle relievers and thank God the starters have been eating so many innings. I'm hoping tonight will be a little more lopsided in the Mets' favor, so Collins can let Reed and Clippard pitch the last few innings and let Familia have a couple days off.

Winning Game 1 is HUGE!!! Let's Go Mets!!!!

Great game; great win!

I did not like Collins' decision to start Cuddyer at 1st over Duda. I know Duda is slumping and I know Cudduyer had success/experience against Lester. But I still didn't agree with the move. Let's hope it lights a fire under Duda's ass.

Murph comes through again with the bat and the glove. This guy is playing out of his mind right now.

The Mets are showing why they are where they are. On many other teams, if Duda, Wright and ace speeds are silenced, the team would crumble. But not on great teams.

Collins is obviously not in a hurry to use middle relievers and thank God the starters have been eating so many innings. I'm hoping tonight will be a little more lopsided in the Mets' favor, so Collins can let Reed and Clippard pitch the last few innings and let Familia have a couple days off.

Winning Game 1 is HUGE!!! Let's Go Mets!!!!

-I didn't mind Duda sitting for a game; can't wait forever for him to figure it out in the playoffs.

-For all the criticism of Murph's defense and base running, those have now factored huge in two straight games. The 9th was getting dicey without that stop.

-I'm in no hurry to see Clippard either. Starters keeping pitch counts down is critical in this series.

-Please get Wright out of the #2 hole before it really costs them!

It was a great night of clicker action going between the Mets and Notre Dame. :thumbsup:

-I didn't mind Duda sitting for a game; can't wait forever for him to figure it out in the playoffs.

-For all the criticism of Murph's defense and base running, those have now factored huge in two straight games. The 9th was getting dicey without that stop.

-I'm in no hurry to see Clippard either. Starters keeping pitch counts down is critical in this series.

-Please get Wright out of the #2 hole before it really costs them!

It was a great night of clicker action going between the Mets and Notre Dame. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I agree that it might be time to move Wright in the order.

At this point, Collins is managing pretty perfectly. I'll trust whatever he does.

Pitching hasn't been too bad either. And don't forget the Grandyman.

Absolutely.

Last night was great because we got to see what Niese and Clippard could do. Great win. Great managing again.

Now if Duda can get out of his funk, watch out.

Mets seem to match up really well with the Cubs. That they were able to get to arietta early was huge.

I am a little concerned that they are going too deep with their starters. What's their bullpen like?

Syndergaard only went 5 2/3 last night and Niese/Clippard were excellent and handed off a 3-run lead to Familia.

The starters are going deep, but they're not pitching much over 100 pitches. Keep in mind that they're all very young, too.

Syndergaard only went 5 2/3 last night and Niese/Clippard were excellent and handed off a 3-run lead to Familia.

The starters are going deep, but they're not pitching much over 100 pitches. Keep in mind that they're all very young, too.

Years of heartbreak for the Mets so I keep telling myself to temper my enthusiasm, but I think the Cubs are really up against it now. Power pitching usually wins in the playoffs & the Mets could throw power pitcher after power pitcher at you. It is amazing how many young arms they have in this organization & just think Wheeler is coming back next year. Good times to be a Met fan. Got to to get at least one at Wrigley. Place should be off the hook tomorrow.

I'd like to say that I can't stand TBS' coverage.

Cal Ripken has completely solidified himself as an ignorant ass. I cringe every time he opens his mouth.

I hate that they don't have the pitch count in the top left at all times, but only flash it between pitches for a millisecond.

I may be partial, but Ron Darling is doing a great job; I understand why they can't - but I would love to see Ron, Keith and Gary for the NLDS, NLCS and the WS - simply because I think they are phenomenal together.

Ripken ruins it for me. Thank God the Mets' great playing helps me block him out.

I'd like to say that I can't stand TBS' coverage.

Cal Ripken has completely solidified himself as an ignorant ass. I cringe every time he opens his mouth.

I hate that they don't have the pitch count in the top left at all times, but only flash it between pitches for a millisecond.

I may be partial, but Ron Darling is doing a great job; I understand why they can't - but I would love to see Ron, Keith and Gary for the NLDS, NLCS and the WS - simply because I think they are phenomenal together.

Ripken ruins it for me. Thank God the Mets' great playing helps me block him out.

I think this is crying out for the old Ralph Kiner/Gary Thorne/Fran Healy booth. Now that was a great group of announcers!