Official Mets lovefest thread

Rob's House

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Royals...definitely the better team. Unbelievable how they just keep coming at you. In three of KC's four wins they were trailing in the 8th or later.

Harvey left it all out there last night -- I'll revisit my earlier criticism of Collins because sending Harvey out for the 9th was an emotional, fan-driven decision -- and a dumb one. Matt was already over 100 pitches and Familia was available.

That said -- wow, the future looks bright for the Mets with this pitching staff. Great ride for the Amazins -- nobody expected them to be in the Fall Classic this year. There was a good bit of "just happy to be here" in their play, which they will no doubt learn from.

Thanks, Mets, for making the last few weeks a whole lot of fun.

Edited by eball

Yeah, Collins will be crucified for the decision, but it's hard to second guess him for sticking with one of the two or three guys on the team who actually showed up to win last night. And I think if the series had been 2-2 or 3-1 Mets and if Familia had been as untouchable in the WS as he had been earlier in the playoffs, Collins goes the other way.

Bad defense, bad base running, bad bullpen, and 5 everyday players hitting .208 or worse (including their 3 'stars' in the 2-3-4 slots) is the reason they lost this series. Starting pitching kept them in these games. The biggest difference is when KC made mistakes (and they made several), the Mets didn't capitalize. When the Mets made a mistake, KC jumped all over them.

Great and fun season, but too many holes to overcome a team like the Royals.

Yeah, Collins will be crucified for the decision, but it's hard to second guess him for sticking with one of the two or three guys on the team who actually showed up to win last night. And I think if the series had been 2-2 or 3-1 Mets and if Familia had been as untouchable in the WS as he had been earlier in the playoffs, Collins goes the other way.

Bad defense, bad base running, bad bullpen, and 5 everyday players hitting .208 or worse (including their 3 'stars' in the 2-3-4 slots) is the reason they lost this series. Starting pitching kept them in these games. The biggest difference is when KC made mistakes (and they made several), the Mets didn't capitalize. When the Mets made a mistake, KC jumped all over them.

Great and fun season, but too many holes to overcome a team like the Royals.

The Mets have some tough decisions to make regarding Cespedes, Murphy and Wright.

Cespedes -- unbelievable talent, but also streaky as hell. Horrible WS, starting off with the misplayed ball in G1 and finishing with that ridiculous limping AB last night.

Murphy -- not the player we saw in the NLDS and NLCS, but also not the player we saw in the WS. Will he sign a reasonable contract to stay in NY?

Wright -- might be just about done?

Last night was the only playoff baseball I watched this year and only from the seventh on. When I saw Harvey pleading his case in the dugout I said no way. Never ever listen to a starting pitcher that late in a crucial game. Eh but what do I know.

The Mets have some tough decisions to make regarding Cespedes, Murphy and Wright.

Cespedes -- unbelievable talent, but also streaky as hell. Horrible WS, starting off with the misplayed ball in G1 and finishing with that ridiculous limping AB last night.

Murphy -- not the player we saw in the NLDS and NLCS, but also not the player we saw in the WS. Will he sign a reasonable contract to stay in NY?

Wright -- might be just about done?

Cespedes -- I don't trust his motivation with $100+MM contract. And a super streaky home run hitter is not really what they need (plus they already have one in Duda). The offense is already much too reliant on home runs. Plus his defense is not good enough for CF as we saw and there's nowhere else for him to go with Conforto moving into a larger role. I have no idea why they let him finish that AB last night. That was dumb.

Murphy -- maybe. He's a solid contact hitter but the limitations make giving him a ~$60MMish deal seem foolish. They also have the option to make him a one year qualifying offer which would likely net them a compensatory draft pick if he signs elsewhere. A guy like Zobrist would cost a fraction of Murphy.

Wright -- he still has five years to go on that monster deal, right? That's not going to end well unless he retires.

Hopefully they'll realize the window is open right now while the starters are cheap and get the right kind of guys in there for 2016.

Cespedes -- I don't trust his motivation with $100+MM contract. And a super streaky home run hitter is not really what they need (plus they already have one in Duda). The offense is already much too reliant on home runs. Plus his defense is not good enough for CF as we saw and there's nowhere else for him to go with Conforto moving into a larger role. I have no idea why they let him finish that AB last night. That was dumb.

Murphy -- maybe. He's a solid contact hitter but the limitations make giving him a ~$60MMish deal seem foolish. They also have the option to make him a one year qualifying offer which would likely net them a compensatory draft pick if he signs elsewhere. A guy like Zobrist would cost a fraction of Murphy.

Wright -- he still has five years to go on that monster deal, right? That's not going to end well unless he retires.

Hopefully they'll realize the window is open right now while the starters are cheap and get the right kind of guys in there for 2016.

Yeah the better team one. I don't have a problem with running Harvey in the 9th but why was he allowed to pitch to Hosmer after the leadoff walk? I wouldn't mind letting Cessepedes walk. He is going to cost too much & as you have stated earlier there is a reason why this guy has been on so mnay teams the last 5 years. Murph is tough. I don't know what to do with him. On one hand I like to see him stay, on the other hand not sure he is worth 12-15 million per year that he is going to get. There are cheaper options.

Wright, not sure what you do with him. He is a third baseman that can't throw over hand anymore. Move him to first & let him platoon with Duda?

I had a ball these last 4 weeks. I forgot how fun it was routing for a team in playoff baseball. For that I really want to thank the Mets. Can't imagine how it would feel if the Bills ever make the playoffs.

Exactly - I thought Harvey should go out for the ninth. Familia was far from untouchable and Harvey seemed to be.

Last year, Matt Williams got totally crushed for pulling Jordan Zimmerman.

Exactly - I thought Harvey should go out for the ninth. Familia was far from untouchable and Harvey seemed to be.

Last year, Matt Williams got totally crushed for pulling Jordan Zimmerman.

If you let Harvey go out for the 9th, it's with the caveat that if ONE baserunner reaches he's coming out. It's inexcusable that Collins let Harvey pitch to Hosner.

If you let Harvey go out for the 9th, it's with the caveat that if ONE baserunner reaches he's coming out. It's inexcusable that Collins let Harvey pitch to Hosner.

Collins said something like if you're going to do that, then don't even bring him out at all...............Only I've seen it a million times!

Sorry ladies :lol:

I gotta eat a little crow.....just a bit.....I thought they would be swept. :lol:

They really needed to win it this year too.

Their owners can't afford to keep the lineup competitive.

If any organization knows how fleeting young power arms are without consistent run support it's the Mess.

Collins did nothing wrong.

Getting 3 hits and playing absolutely horrible defense is why the Mets lost.

Add game 5 to games 1 and 4 for the games that the Mets served up to the Royals on a silver platter.

However ... kudos to the Royals for taking advantage of the Mets' mistakes.

The best team did not win the World Series. The team that played better did. And for that, they deserve it.

Collins did nothing wrong.

Getting 3 hits and playing absolutely horrible defense is why the Mets lost.

Add game 5 to games 1 and 4 for the games that the Mets served up to the Royals on a silver platter.

However ... kudos to the Royals for taking advantage of the Mets' mistakes.

The best team did not win the World Series. The team that played better did. And for that, they deserve it.

Surely, you can't be serious