Top 5 teams in the AFC right now

PatsFanNH

The problem is that the cheats* are in a class unto themselves. They undressed Buffalo and made them look stupid (the Bills also hurt themselves with this). Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Bills are markedly improved but top 5? They need to win consistently to be in this group. No doubt they have the talent to be considered but I prefer to take it one week at a time. On to the Giants 3-1 is far better than 2-2.

I did not say #5 in the NFL, I said the AFC. After NE,Denver And Cinci there is no power house team. I will say Indy will win the South by default. so lets look whats left for the wildcard spot:

Buffalo,Pitt, KC, Jets.... Pitt will struggle without big ben, their D is NOT good at all and will be exposed without Big Ben. Jets -- Great D, their O is gawd awful. KC --good D, and an amazing Run game, and good QB. Buffalo -- Great D, good Run and a promising looking QB..

Outisde of KC there is no team there that the Bills should not overtake for a playoff spot. I even think they should overtake KC

Cincy got off to a great start last year, too, and then became pretty ordinary. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't rank them ahead of the Bills. Maybe the Bengals are just well-conditioned for the beginning of the season for whatever reason

they just bet a tough Ravens team, but I see your point. Although I expect them to win the division this year.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a very good D, I beleive their O will crash around mid season.

i need to see more from their D. I watched that whole game yesterday vs an offense that had done nothing on the ground in the first 2 weeks and they looked disappointing after all the hype. Revis has a hammy and groin already, and I am not a fan of Cro, gilchrist or Skrine. The latter two were not good with their previous teams and Cro looks old and slow. They will get Sheldon Richardson back (though he should be in jail) so that should help with run D.

As far as their offense... Seen this movie before. Geno will be the QB soon.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i need to see more from their D. I watched that whole game yesterday vs an offense that had done nothing on the ground in the first 2 weeks and they looked disappointing after all the hype. Revis has a hammy and groin already, and I am not a fan of Cro, gilchrist or Skrine. The latter two were not good with their previous teams and Cro looks old and slow. They will get Sheldon Richardson back (though he should be in jail) so that should help with run D.

fair enough, will be interesting how well they fair against the Patriots.

I watched the Jets game yesterday and it bolstered a lot of my suspicions:

The defense is legit. They look as good as us, if not better, and they don't have Richardson back yet.

On the flip side, their offense looks dreadful. Powell and Ivory are NOT Shady and Karlos, not by a long shot. Fitz is what we know: accurate enough within 15 yards, but without the perfect ball placement of Brady. Inaccurate on anything past that. I kept seeing flashbacks to Chan's 2012 offense. There is plenty of tape on how to combat it. It's called our highlight reel.

fair enough, will be interesting how well they fair against the Patriots.

you can start celebrating that W now. Denver might be the one D that could compete in the AFC.

The defense is legit. They look as good as us, if not better, and they don't have Richardson back yet.

On the flip side, their offense looks dreadful. Powell and Ivory are NOT Shady and Karlos, not by a long shot. Fitz is what we know: accurate enough within 15 yards, but without the perfect ball placement of Brady. Inaccurate on anything past that. I kept seeing flashbacks to Chan's 2012 offense. There is plenty of tape on how to combat it. It's called our highlight reel.

ivory didnt even play, did he? He was supposed to but was MIA. Fitzchan is what we thought it was.

I agree, that O will not be able to keep up with any team witha high powered offense like a NE or GB

Everyone is saying there is a huge gap between the Pats* and everyone else. If the Bills can play with their heads in the game like they did against the Phins then I think they can run with the Pats*. No problem.

Edited by bmur66

Every team in that top 5,except New England and Buffalo, are flawed in a major way.

Well, I guess that means that the Bengals are flawed because they have Andy Dalton at QB, and we're not flawed because we have Tyrod? Dalton may not be able to win a playoff game, but maybe we should wait for Tyrod to actually make the playoffs before jumping to that conclusion?

I really feel like Buffalo looks like #2 in the AFC. I think Manning gets carted off with that offense with their line and nonexistent running game vs our D-line and (hopefully) creative blitzing.

Cincinnati would be the only other contender I would think. We'll see what happens when they visit.

...and I normally hold a relatively pessimist view on things.

I still have a suspicion that Rex played rope-a-dope in our first game against the Pats. Rex is cerebral enough to know that we had a soft schedule after the Colts and Pats and that the game in Foxsborough would be much bigger than game 2 of the season. Why show all your cards? Especially if there is a strong possibility that both teams will meet in the playoffs potentially.

This is a good Bills team. Probably the best we've dressed in 15 years. If everything goes to plan, this will be a top 5 AFC team and a definite contender.

Every team in that top 5,except New England and Buffalo, are flawed in a major way.

Cincy might have the best 52 man roster in the NFL. The only "flaw" they have is at QB but Dalton has shown he can get the ball to his playmakers. Cincy is no more "flawed" than Buffalo. I'm impressed with TT so far but I'm not ready to say the Bills are set at QB for the future. Things can go down hill quickly.

Cincy might have the best 52 man roster in the NFL. The only "flaw" they have is at QB but Dalton has shown he can get the ball to his playmakers. Cincy is no more "flawed" than Buffalo. I'm impressed with TT so far but I'm not ready to say the Bills are set at QB for the future. Things can go down hill quickly.

Marvin Lewis may be more of a flaw than an advantage at this point. He's had some great Cincinnati teams he's been unable to coach up in the playoffs.

ivory didnt even play, did he? He was supposed to but was MIA. Fitzchan is what we thought it was.

No, he "chose" to sit, even though he supposedly felt fine. But looking at his numbers so far, he and Powell don't look as potent as our backfield.

And the Fitzchan combo looks exactly what we suspected. I suspect we can dust off the tape from the 2012 season opener for the how to guide on how to win.

1. Patriots* (Brady 4-game suspension looming)

2. Cinci (for now, Dalton will implode any day now)

3. Denver (Peyton will start to fizzle out in late November)

4. Bills (we think Tyrod is the greatest thing since sliced bread but he's only 3 games in)

5. KC (teams can't run on us, I like our matchup vs them)

6. Baltimore (we have owned them recently though)

7. Pittsburgh (Vick can do enough to win half of his starts)

I think we are the best of the Wild Card teams and right in the mix of that next tier below the Pats. The Patriots are far and away better than anyone else. They might not lose this year with Brady as the starter which is crazy because I don't think they have a good roster. Brady might miss 4 games (or take a deal for 2) and still win the passing crown. I like our chances vs everyone else and I do think we could potentially beat the Pats in the playoffs if we learn from our mistakes and actually cover their receivers at the line and not let them release. Their blueprint to beat us is to run no huddle and throw the ball quick which takes our high priced DL out of the game. now we know that so hopefully we can adjust

1. New England -- has been a buzz saw through the first 3 games on Offense. No one has been really able to slow them down. The defensehas been inconsistent but is above average in QB pressure and Pass D so far. (The run D needs some work)

2. Denver -- Manning playing small ball and the D is scary scary good right now.

3. Cincy -- Playing well on both sides of the ball, and just bet a division foe who was in desperate need of a W. (The Ravens are not a crappy team)

4. Buffalo -- Outside of the NE game the D has looked top 3. Taylor has shown strides of improvement every game and doesnt make that head scratching mistake that plagued Buffalo QB's the last few years.

5. Pitt - D is not that good, but the Offense is clicking with Big Ben and their freak of a WR.

IMO the top 4 are set, and Pitt seems to be the best of the rest thats left. The Colts look awful, KC is well inconsistent,AFCS is awful 9although the Titans find a D they could be a dark horse this year).. I just dont see much else. Thoughts?

1) NE kinda sad that Tom Brady will face that 4 game suspension THIS Year after all. :w00t:http://news.yahoo.com/nfl-source-tom-brady-serve-131628730.html

2) Denver's defense is the real deal this year with Wade Phillips as DC. QB Manning, and HC Kubiak still working out the kinks in the new system, and their O line is in bad flux. Should they get their run game going with Kubiak's power / zone run scheme then they could be in the SB this season.

3) Cincy looks like the real deal with Dalton playing very well, and their run game is solid. This team may have one of the best offensive lines in the league, and a decent defense too. could also be in the SB this year.

4) Buffalo-NY Jets-Pittsburgh-Oakland all 2-1 right now, and KC to play tonight.

Pittsburgh, with Big Ben out for a month they don't look like a serious contender with their bad O line, and defense. But ya never know.

Buffalo, looking good but the O line is still a concern against good defenses. Seems that rolling out Tyrod, and Karlos Williams power nullified those worries this week.

NY Jets, are looking typical Jets with a top 5 defense, and a mediocre offense Fitz at QB 20th ranked O. Not a contender with Fitz at QB.

Oakland, believe it or not the Raiders have a top 10 offense, and still one of the worst defenses in the league. Not a contender this year.

Kansas, we will find out more after tonight. Could be a decent contender for a WC

Baltimore, might be the best 0-3 team in the NFL, and always a contender for a WC

San Diego, might have all the weapons to be a contender, and once they get TE Gates back by the 4th game they could be serious contender for a WC.

Indy 1-2 their HC could be fired right after the Dolphins fire theirs.

Miami, 1-2 in disarry not a contender

Jacksonville, not a contender

Tennessee, not a contender

Cleveland, not a contender

Houston, not a contender

Seriously, its still way to early in the season to know what will happen at the end. Lets revisit this thread around week 9 or 10.

1) NE kinda sad that Tom Brady will face that 4 game suspension THIS Year after all. :w00t:http://news.yahoo.com/nfl-source-tom-brady-serve-131628730.html

2) Denver's defense is the real deal this year with Wade Phillips as DC. QB Manning, and HC Kubiak still working out the kinks in the new system, and their O line is in bad flux. Should they get their run game going with Kubiak's power / zone run scheme then they could be in the SB this season.

3) Cincy looks like the real deal with Dalton playing very well, and their run game is solid. This team may have one of the best offensive lines in the league, and a decent defense too. could also be in the SB this year.

4) Buffalo-NY Jets-Pittsburgh-Oakland all 2-1 right now, and KC to play tonight.

Pittsburgh, with Big Ben out for a month they don't look like a serious contender with their bad O line, and defense. But ya never know.

Buffalo, looking good but the O line is still a concern against good defenses. Seems that rolling out Tyrod, and Karlos Williams power nullified those worries this week.

NY Jets, are looking typical Jets with a top 5 defense, and a mediocre offense Fitz at QB 20th ranked O. Not a contender with Fitz at QB.

Oakland, believe it or not the Raiders have a top 10 offense, and still one of the worst defenses in the league. Not a contender this year.

Kansas, we will find out more after tonight. Could be a decent contender for a WC

Baltimore, might be the best 0-3 team in the NFL, and always a contender for a WC

San Diego, might have all the weapons to be a contender, and once they get TE Gates back by the 4th game they could be serious contender for a WC.

Indy 1-2 their HC could be fired right after the Dolphins fire theirs.

Miami, 1-2 in disarry not a contender

Jacksonville, not a contender

Tennessee, not a contender

Cleveland, not a contender

Houston, not a contender

Seriously, its still way to early in the season to know what will happen at the end. Lets revisit this thread around week 9 or 10.

lol the morons in the NFL front office who speak "anonymously" should be canned! the case isnt even having verbal arguments till JANUARY and thats if their case load ALLOWS for it lol.

The rest was pretty well thought out lol

As far as their offense... Seen this movie before. Geno will be the QB soon.

I also watched that game. The defense is suspect to the short passing game as well though they are hard to go down the field on. On offense it is toss it up for Marshall (and Decker when healthy) and little else.