ot - yogurt

mead107

what bugs ????

238800[/snapback]

You buy a packet of bacteria to get the dairy to become yogurt. Analagous to yeast for bread and beer and whatever microbe makes sourdough bread.

Lots of recipes on the net. Visit your local health food store that advocates natural foods and whose owner drives a big Mercedes as a reward for living the back to nature lifestyle.

Get a quart of Stoneyfield Whole Milk Vanilla Yogurt.  Before you mix it up, take a taste of the yogurt cream from the top...mmmmmmm!

PTR

238816[/snapback]

That is some seriously good sh-- right there. Yogurt-wise anyway. :devil:

You buy a packet of bacteria to get the dairy to become yogurt.  Analagous to yeast for bread and beer and whatever microbe makes sourdough bread.

Lots of recipes on the net.  Visit your local health food store that advocates natural foods and whose owner drives a big Mercedes as a reward for living the back to nature lifestyle.

238814[/snapback]

My parents had a yogurt maker, it's probably buried someplace in the garage with the popcorn maker, cotton candy maker, grilled sandwich maker, etc. I now think twice before buying any kitchen appliance.

My parents had a yogurt maker, it's probably buried someplace in the garage with the popcorn maker, cotton candy maker, grilled sandwich maker, etc. I now think twice before buying any kitchen appliance.

238850[/snapback]

:devil:

I've a similar collection. I'm not, but for a big yogurt fan, it's easy to make in bulk with pots and pans and sterilized jars. You need not buy a quickie appliance.

:devil:

I've a similar collection.  I'm not, but for a big yogurt fan, it's easy to make in bulk with pots and pans and sterilized jars. You need not buy a quickie appliance.

238862[/snapback]

This was (and I haven't seen it in years so forgive me if I'm wrong) some kind of contraption that had 6 or 8 individual containers, maybe between 8-12 ounces. So once it was done cooking, you didn't need to dispense the yogurt into individual containers, since it was all ready done.

This unit was the first one I found that looks like it worked the same as my parents had, just a different setup.

This was (and I haven't seen it in years so forgive me if I'm wrong) some kind of contraption that had 6 or 8 individual containers, maybe between 8-12 ounces. So once it was done cooking, you didn't need to dispense the yogurt into individual containers, since it was all ready done.

This unit was the first one I found that looks like it worked the same as my parents had, just a different setup.

238898[/snapback]

IIRC, home-made yogurt making was a bit of a craze - dunno - 20 years ago, perhaps a bit more. The yogurt craze was enough that a franchise was created, T.G.I.Y. One of them still exists in a plaza close by where I live.

I've been suffering from gout and I read yesterday that yogurt was a good food to help treat that.  So I will be eating a lot of yogurt.

238979[/snapback]

AND, don't eat meat, peas, whole grains, beans, soups - anything that contains significant nitrogen or protein content.

And don't booze or smoke which stresses the renal system's ability to eliminate uric acids. Drink buckets of water. Keep away from citrus and salt.

You CAN enjoy large amounts of Italian, French, or plain 'ol white bread with tons of real butter and jelly, however. Doughnuts are just fine, too!

QUOTE(BillnutinHouston @ Feb 14 2005, 04:27 PM)

I've been suffering from gout and I read yesterday that yogurt was a good food to help treat that.  So I will be eating a lot of yogurt.

AND, don't eat meat, peas, whole grains, soups - anything that contains significant nitrogen content.

And don't booze or smoke which stresses the renal system into eliminating uric acids. Drink buckets of water. Keep away from citrus and salt.

You CAN enjoy large amounts of white bread with butter and jelly, however. Doughnuts are just fine, too!

Read The Dampness Diet. Lots of good gout stuff in there.

AND, don't eat meat, peas, whole grains, soups - anything that contains significant nitrogen content.

And don't booze or smoke which stresses the renal system into eliminating uric acids. Drink buckets of water. Keep away from citrus and salt.

You CAN enjoy large amounts of white bread with butter and jelly, however. Doughnuts are just fine, too!

239007[/snapback]

No cigarettes, meat, salt, or booze?

What in the world do I have to do to prevent getting this terrible disease?