Name a Star after your Valentine

taterhill

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This time of the year, I always hear this advertised...has anyone actually done this. If you have...why?

Name A Star

238628[/snapback]

I've never done it but I could see its appeal. It is unique and would probably be more special than the standard flowers/candy/chocolate/dinner.

And besides when she asked you which one you could just point anywhere in the sky and be like "yeah its that one....the one near those other ones.." :devil:

If you (or anyone has done this), allow me to be the first one to pee in your Cheerios. This service is a joke. Every known star has a designation such as HD 186791, or several names depending on how they are scientifically cataloged. A small handful have common names like Polaris.

What these Star Registry people do, is take the scientific designation, and list your name next to it, in some book. They then copyright that. That "name listed in book form with the US Copyright Office" will sit in the Copyright office for until it expires, and not one person will ever look at it or care, besides you. No scientist will ever refer to it. If they find life on HD 78654, no one will call the life forms "stevestojan"ites.

You see, what Star Registry is doing is just putting your name in a book next to a number. It could just as easily put names in a book next to bodies of water, flowers in a garden, or pimples on an elephant's rear. Their book looks like this:

HD 456778... Nervous Guy

HD 345566... Gavin in Va Beach

Blah blah blah. It's not an official record of jack squat. I can open John Adam's Star Registry and publish a book that says:

HD 456778[same number as NG's above]... SDS

HD 345566... DC Tom

Both my book and the other book are good for the same thing. Toilet paper. If you want to name a star after someone you love, take them outside, point to a star, and say, I call that star "[name.]" Don't pay these people to do the same thing.

Is this the single most ridiculous idea ever or what? Why the !@#$ would anyone spend $54 on something they can have for free? Oh...so it will be placed forever in the International Star Registry?

You're better off buying your valentine a Chia Pet shaped like Scooby Doo.

Reminds me of when I was a solid C- student in Jr. High and got a letter announcing that because of my tremendous academic prowess, I was selected to the Who's Who Of American Students, and I was going to be mentioned in a book. And I should get multiple copies of that book at $35 each to give to my family members. :devil:;):doh:

God, I wish our country didn't have so many morons in it.

If you (or anyone has done this), allow me to be the first one to pee in your Cheerios. This service is a joke. Every known star has a designation such as HD 186791, or several names depending on how they are scientifically cataloged. A small handful have common names like Polaris.

What these Star Registry people do, is take the scientific designation, and list your name next to it, in some book. They then copyright that. That "name listed in book form with the US Copyright Office" will sit in the Copyright office for until it expires, and not one person will ever look at it or care, besides you. No scientist will ever refer to it. If they find life on HD 78654, no one will call the life forms "stevestojan"ites.

You see, what Star Registry is doing is just putting your name in a book next to a number. It could just as easily put names in a book next to bodies of water, flowers in a garden, or pimples on an elephant's rear. Their book looks like this:

HD 456778... Nervous Guy

HD 345566... Gavin in Va Beach

Blah blah blah. It's not an official record of jack squat. I can open John Adam's Star Registry and publish a book that says:

HD 456778[same number as NG's above]... SDS

HD 345566... DC Tom

Both my book and the other book are good for the same thing. Toilet paper. If you want to name a star after someone you love, take them outside, point to a star, and say, I call that star "[name.]" Don't pay these people to do the same thing.

238658[/snapback]

go for it :devil:

238658[/snapback]

Do you mean there aren't scientists right now at Los Alamos talking about a phenomena sighted near "Cuddle Bunny," and a potential planet encircling "Schmookie Poo?" :devil:

Reminds me of when I was a solid C- student in Jr. High and got a letter announcing that because of my tremendous academic prowess, I was selected to the Who's Who Of American Students, and I was going to be mentioned in a book. And I should get multiple copies of that book at $35 each to give to my family members.

I went to high school with a guy who's proudest moment was being selected to the Who's Who. :devil: He actually carried the book around with him and bragged about it.

What happens when you buy it for her, and she turns out to be the ever living suckubus she-B word from hell? Can you ask the guys at the Star Registry to re-write their "book" to name the star "the money grubbing, cheating, slut, life-sucking B word"?

Just curious.

Reminds me of when I was a solid C- student in Jr. High and got a letter announcing that because of my tremendous academic prowess, I was selected to the Who's Who Of American Students, and I was going to be mentioned in a book. And I should get multiple copies of that book at $35 each to give to my family members. :devil:  ;)  :doh:

238662[/snapback]

I've seen people get a blurb in the small town newspaper to annouce they were chosen for the "who's who" books, right with all the graduation announcements.

I always thought it was a little stupid. But my ex-husband had gotten it as a gift from his ex-girlfriend when they were in a 5 year relationship. She had the certificate matted and beautifully framed and he always thought it was awesome. When I first met him it was hanging in this bedroom. He always said it was his best gift because she took the time to give him something so unusual. Now this comes from the same guy that really loved me "adopting a wolf" in his name (Wolf Park, Ohio). Bottom line? I guess it depends on the person.

I always thought it was a little stupid.  But my ex-husband had gotten it as a gift from his ex-girlfriend when they were in a 5 year relationship. She had the certificate matted and beautifully framed  and he always thought it was awesome. When I first met him it was hanging in this bedroom. He always said it was his best gift because she took the time to give him something so unusual. Now this comes from the same guy that really loved me "adopting a wolf" in his name (Wolf Park, Ohio).  Bottom line? I guess it depends on the person.

238719[/snapback]

SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SIGN not to marry him :devil:

I did that for a girlfriend back in high school.  It was cheesy, but trust me, it was appreciated.  :devil:

238666[/snapback]

I think that's the whole point. It is one of those stupid little things that makes certain girls get weak in the knees.

You can just as easily waste $54 for a dozen roses that'll be dead by Thursday.

I always thought it was a little stupid.  But my ex-husband had gotten it as a gift from his ex-girlfriend when they were in a 5 year relationship. She had the certificate matted and beautifully framed  and he always thought it was awesome. When I first met him it was hanging in this bedroom. He always said it was his best gift because she took the time to give him something so unusual. Now this comes from the same guy that really loved me "adopting a wolf" in his name (Wolf Park, Ohio).  Bottom line? I guess it depends on the person.

238719[/snapback]

I would be happy if you adopted me, screw the wolves.