(OT) I want to buy some software... it is cheap at

MikeG

I am wondering if anyone knows about this site called buysusa.com? I searched the web to see if there were any cheap places to buy Adobe Illustrator 10 and in Google, this was the first highlighted link... seems kind of shady to me. It is WAY too cheap for me not to be suspicious. And when I went to their "shopping cart" and "secure checkout" pages, a warning came up saying their certificate was issued by an "unknown" and it may be a fake... meaning that they are trying to steal my info or something...

anyone have any help or comments or anything?

I am wondering if anyone knows about this site called buysusa.com?  I searched the web to see if there were any cheap places to buy Adobe Illustrator 10 and in Google, this was the first highlighted link... seems kind of shady to me.  It is WAY too cheap for me not to be suspicious.  And when I went to their "shopping cart" and "secure checkout" pages, a warning came up saying their certificate was issued by an "unknown" and it may be a fake... meaning that they are trying to steal my info or something...

anyone have any help or comments or anything?

238534[/snapback]

I run a consulting company that helps companies make sure they run a compliant IT shop. The old addage if it looks to good to be true certainly applies in the world of software. New scheme by counterfeitters is to price the software about 15% below market. That way doesn't look to fishy, just a reseller who is able to sell cheaper.

Tell tale signs of fraud are no no service from publisher, not in original packaging, not able to register software etc.

Can't find that place listed on any of the reseller review sites over in the consumer forum (have both bizrate and resellerratings in a pinned thread for consumer help over there...), and I can see what you mean about the price.

Even the standard OEM versions are twice as much using a pricegrabber search. Unless you have $50 to burn, I'd say let the buyer beware....

Normally, I don't worry too much about rip offs, but this just smells like a rat. They are selling the software with no box, just the CD - why would they do that? (because they bought a fancy CD printer and it looks decent when you get it).

Second, last I checked, the full version of PS is around $600-$700. They are selling it for $50?

I am currently in the market for Dragon Naturally Speaking 8.0 ...

The damn thing costs $100. I was trying to find the absolute cheapest, and found a site similar to this, but it was not in the box, and with Dragon, you HAVE to go online to register your unique copy of the software. I think I'll buck up and just drop the $100.

...and all those things are what they list as the caveats....

238565[/snapback]

Dan,I went to their site as well. Registration, like you said, is not with Adobe, but with them. No support through Adobe as well. Almost guarantee these guys are pirates. Software will work, but you are buying "stolen goods". Up to you

I read the FAQ, and here is something worrisome:

"We can sell at such low prices because we not only buy in bulk but the software was to be bundled with hardware originally. Therefore it does not qualify for tech. support registration. However it will download all updates from the manufacturer. Some are purchased from bankruptcy sales, auctions etc. If you want tech support you need to buy the retail version at full price from a local software store"

First, software that is supposed to be bundled with hareware is not supposed to be sold seperatly. Second, what computer comes with the full version of PS?? That software is more expensive than most computers nowadays.

Oh, and this is a fabulous customer service line:

"we do not take telephone orders. Nor do we maintain a voicemail system, please do not leave a message as it will not be reviewed. We so apologize for this inconvenience but we are busy filling orders and can not spend the day answering questions that are covered by this site."

hahah - I think Microsoft has that same line in their FAQ! "We're too busy to help you with your stupid questions... "

I read the FAQ, and here is something worrisome:

"We can sell at such low prices because we not only buy in bulk but the software was to be bundled with hardware originally. Therefore it does not qualify for tech. support  registration. However it will download all updates from the manufacturer. Some are purchased from bankruptcy sales, auctions etc. If you want tech support you need to buy the retail version at full price from a local software store"

First, software that is supposed to be bundled with hareware is not supposed to be sold seperatly. Second, what computer comes with the full version of PS??  That software is more expensive than most computers nowadays.

Oh, and this is a fabulous customer service line:

"we do not take telephone orders. Nor do we maintain a voicemail system, please do not leave a message as it will not be reviewed. We so apologize for this inconvenience but we are busy filling orders and can not spend the day answering questions that are covered by this site."

hahah - I think Microsoft has that same line in their FAQ!  "We're too busy to help you with your stupid questions... "

238585[/snapback]

Like I said earlier, counterfeiters are becoming more adept at getting your money. Microsoft is now requiring you register your software before online updates are available to you. Many organiztions have bought counterfeit copies of software unknowingly, but they are still SOL when it comes to compliance lawsuuits and the like.

Again, this software will in most likelyhood work just fine. It becomes a ethical question of do you want to stael from the software publishers