Ronald Darby putting up Darrelle Revis-esque coverage stats

pbanach

A player can be playing good even if the team (or coach) is doing poorly.

nope not really.. Team game for one. and he wasn't that good.

and thats not an opinion on R. Darby btw.

Agreed. I think Wood's probably going to go as well--if he's not a top-8 center, then he can't be making top-5 center money.

It would be nice if Leo can come back and prove himself capable post-injury; he's the kind of guy you move for a mid-round pick so that you can get something for him instead of cutting him.

Agreed and agreed.

I must admit Eric looked a tinch better last week. but its time to bring some competition in. and the money thang too.

Leo is something to pay attention to also 27, he know Darby is chasing him down for the #1 and he is as quick as hell isn't he?

I am a stated Leodis fan. Hope he comes back 110% if he has lost some speed and twitch , he better think about taking a pay cut. playing safety(!?) or moving on. Darby dependent of course.

Robey has his spot held down. locked really.

Brooks has improved each year and is quite good at ST.

Mario Butler, whats going on there??

Leo needs to return to form.

I actually think our LB's are pretty good in coverage, Gronk just makes everyone look bad no matter what position the play.

no they were not that good last week.

It's not about wants. It's about cost-benefit analysis. McK would net us a good pick, clear cap for more important FA's, and we are already grooming his heir apparent in Darby. Realistically he's probably 2-3 years of this level of play before he drops off a little.

I love McK, but trading him for a 3rd makes too much sense.

Also, the same goes for Kyle, but I doubt he warrants the same kind of value in the trade market.

what makes sense about trading leodis, a known qty, as compared to keeping him if he is 100%? Thats a pretty f'n strong secondary right there my man!

I would want to ride that pony all season long. Gilmore Leo Ronald Robey... Graham.... Butler.

Man thats heaven right there. best secondary in the league if A W is playing.

Best.

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very surprised to see that Darby was singled up on Gronk on several occasions. That speaks volumes about a player, let alone a rookie, that his coaches have that kind of confidence in him.

Not to get off topic from the OP, but I also have been extremely impressed with Karlos WIlliams. Guy reminds me a lot of Eddie George.

Eddie George was the most overrated RB ever...dude got 1200 yards every year cause he got 300+ carries...the best thing you could say for him was he was very durable. He averaged over 4 yards a carry in a season only twice in his career, both 4.1 YPC, and finished his career at 3.6 YPC, pretty pathetic to be honest. Edited by matter2003

Atheltically he's the freak no ones talking about.

Low 4.3's 40 at the combine, + 41.5 vertical and 10'9" long jump. Closest to an Olympiad on this team next to goodwin

one of the coolest things i noticed, was how he turned when beaten of the line( turned wrong way or waited or sat ) was how quickly he was back with has man. His acceleration is very noticeable from a stop or slow start. and he turns and runs like no bodies business.

Bills have something here for sure ! its early but this kid shines at times

Eddie George was the most overrated RB ever...dude got 1200 yards every year cause he got 300+ carries...the best thing you could say for him was he was very durable.

Durable is a good thing. But Eddie could drive the ball upfield like Karlos has shown.

Karlos has more explosion and better feet?

Mel Kiper has Darby at #7 for Rookies this season so far.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13726879/the-kansas-city-chiefs-marcus-peters-tops-mel-kiper-rookie-rankings-nfl

[7] Ronald Darby, CB, Bills

The talent far surpasses the draft slot, and Darby could prove to be a steal if he takes care of business off the field. An immediate starter, Darby is clearly a player Rex Ryan feels can be a stud. He's being challenged early.

What does he mean "takes care of business off the field"?

A player can be playing good even if the team (or coach) is doing poorly.

Especially that position. He is playing really well. He even found the hands that he misplaced at Fl state. He is on a good pace to be top dog while the beloved Gilmore is still on the team. He is feisty gets his hands in everything. We could have a light out secondary. Its almost 5 deep at cb. There may even be hope for ron brooks. This unit is encouraging. Meeks is a hitter isnt he? Also Corey Graham and Aaron Williams. The secondary gels... that unit will be insane. I already really like the linebackers. And the D line is a given.

This sort of makes up for no first round pick. The second round over the years has been kind to the Bills. Thurman, Kiko, Glenn, Byrd and Levitre all come to mind as second rounders who had good days in B'lo.

Woods

schoebel, travis henry, kyle was maybe a 2nd?,

I will probably get flamed but with cap space in tight demand this is great for us. Need to sign bradham and maybe glenn if he picks up his play. Gilmore could be trade bait....if revis could get a 12 overall pick could gilmore get us something a bit later in the first? We can draft a replacement and still have a first rounder to pick another guy. I don't want to trade gilmore but tough choices need to made to stay under the cap.

Im about as critical as they come on Gilmore but i value him way more than Glenn. As much as people say we have LB Whaley. I really REALLY like Bradham. And numerous posters have subconsiously eluded to the fact that Bradham is becoming a bona fide defensive leader.

Love his play so far. Didn't like hearing in the Patriots game that a Bills player said he doesn't want to listen. Forget who it was, Williams or Graham? Wasn't Gilmore.

The annuncers sort of said it and chuckled, like silly Rookie just won't listen..haha. But it sounded much more like he doesn't want to take direction, no haha. I'm pretty sure if Darby keeps playing this well he will quickly turn into the type that feels like he no longer deficates. Hopefully he's stays out of trouble. He certainly looks like a very talented corner.

Edited by KzooMike

You mean the one on which he had outside responsibility and Duke Williams never picked up Gronk inside like he's assigned to?

There's a reason both Bradham and Gilmore were incensed at Duke...that was his mistake, not Gilmore's.[/quote

No I mean in the back of the end zone Gilmore had one on one coverage, Gronk breaks right and gilmore got beat---and it really looked like lack of effort. I will find a link and post for you.

Based on what I'm seeing I would have no problem with the Bills drafting Offensive Line with our 1st or 2nd round pick. Get a Center/Guard prospect to replace Wood.

Totally agree I think Wood is awful.
Edited by billsfan_34

What does he mean "takes care of business off the field"?

I think he was involved in the Winston scandal

He was Winston's roommate at FSU. May or may not have seen everything go down, but kept his mouth shut. There might have been something else too, something involving Karlos and a car maybe? I don't remember

For Thebandit27 http://nesn.com/2015/09/rob-gronkowski-silences-bills-fans-with-td-grab-trademark-spike-video/Gilmore and Duke both have one on one. Gilmore gets torched, Duke realizes this and breaks off. By this point its too late.

Thanks for pulling up the video.

Please don't take this the wrong way: your assessment is incorrect. It's a bracket coverage where Gilmore has outside technique and Duke is responsible for the inside move. That's what both Gilmore and Bradham are pointing out to him at the beginning of the play, and it's also why they're both screaming at him at the play's conclusion. This video makes it much clearer:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015092001/2015/REG2/patriots@bills#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000534130&tab=videos

It's also the reason that Rex singled out Duke as a guy that didn't play his assignment out there. Explained clearly here:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2015/09/2_minute_drill_ups_downs_from_patriots_win_over

"Gronkowski’s touchdown drove the Bills crazy. Gronk and Chandler motioned left, exactly like they did for their two goal-line scores in Week 1, and Nigel Bradham, who took Chandler in the slot, made the check to order Duke Williams to take inside leverage on Gronk with Gilmore on the outside. Williams was confused, missed his assignment and allowed the easy score. Even when defenses think they’ve got a plan against Gronk, they struggle to execute it."

BillsFan-4-Ever, on 24 Sept 2015 - 1:20 PM, said:

38 passes of 59 attempts.

Let old man Tainted Tom keep throwing 50+ times a game. His arm will be a noodle by December.

This is what you're coming with these days, huh? If this is what helps you sleep better at night, sure.

Sure. Why not. Are you a closet Cheatriots fan?

I'm not sure what you are arguing about. Tainted Tom "missed" on 21 passes! So either Tainted Tom is getting bad or the defenders did well enough on those 21 pass plays.

Didn't Tainted Tom throw like 17 consecutive pass completions the week before vs Pitt?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Thanks for pulling up the video.

Please don't take this the wrong way: your assessment is incorrect. It's a bracket coverage where Gilmore has outside technique and Duke is responsible for the inside move. That's what both Gilmore and Bradham are pointing out to him at the beginning of the play, and it's also why they're both screaming at him at the play's conclusion. This video makes it much clearer:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015092001/2015/REG2/patriots@bills#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000534130&tab=videos

It's also the reason that Rex singled out Duke as a guy that didn't play his assignment out there. Explained clearly here:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2015/09/2_minute_drill_ups_downs_from_patriots_win_over

That makes total sense. When looking at it and Duke trailing the reciever he was covering it was very hard to tell. Thanks for the nice analysis. I am alrght with saying I am wrong, sometimes lol. Go Bills

"Gronkowski’s touchdown drove the Bills crazy. Gronk and Chandler motioned left, exactly like they did for their two goal-line scores in Week 1, and Nigel Bradham, who took Chandler in the slot, made the check to order Duke Williams to take inside leverage on Gronk with Gilmore on the outside. Williams was confused, missed his assignment and allowed the easy score. Even when defenses think they’ve got a plan against Gronk, they struggle to execute it."

That makes total sense. When looking at it and Duke trailing the reciever he was covering it was very hard to tell. Thanks for the nice analysis. I am alrght with saying I am wrong, sometimes lol. Go Bills

No sweat...with all the complicated coverages and route combinations, it's not always easy to see what's going on (especially if you're watching on TV).

Being at the game, you knew it was Duke's assignment just based on the players' reactions. Both Bradham and Gilmore immediately turned and were furiously gesturing at Duke, who kind of stood there with his head slightly hanging.

I thought Bradham was going to kill him :lol:

Edited by thebandit27

Sure. Why not. Are you a closet Cheatriots fan?

I'm not sure what you are arguing about. Tainted Tom "missed" on 21 passes! So either Tainted Tom is getting bad or the defenders did well enough on those 21 pass plays.

Didn't Tainted Tom throw like 17 consecutive pass completions the week before vs Pitt?

Brady is top 3 all time qb. Get over it.