Drew was just a 1-year caretaker

Rico

Although I wish he would've let him go last year,

TD knew exactly what he was doing when he extended Drew's contract with a minimal bonus/high future salary.

Drew's role was to hold down the fort for our #1 draft-pick until the coaching staff felt that JP was ready to take over; nothing more, nothing less. There was no way in hell that Drew would ever see year 3 of the contract with that huge salary, but there was an outside chance that he could stick around for year 2 IF he performed well in 2004. Unfortunately for Drew, his best just wasn't good enough. Now that the staff feels JP is ready, it's over.

Just as we saw with Ruben, the cap hit from releasing him this year will sting a little, but will not come close to breaking the bank... just as we saw with Ruben, it only makes sense to let him go now. ;)

Although I wish he would've let him go last year,

TD knew exactly what he was doing when he extended Drew's contract with a minimal bonus/high future salary.

Drew's role was to hold down the fort for our #1 draft-pick until the coaching staff felt that JP was ready to take over; nothing more, nothing less. There was no way in hell that Drew would ever see year 3 of the contract with that huge salary, but there was an outside chance that he could stick around for year 2 IF he performed well in 2004. Unfortunately for Drew, his best just wasn't good enough. Now that the staff feels JP is ready, it's over.

Just as we saw with Ruben, the cap hit from releasing him this year will sting a little, but will not come close to breaking the bank... just as we saw with Ruben, it only makes sense to let him go now. ;)

238492[/snapback]

Rico....

I agree I mean wasn't that the speculation last year?