Week 2 - All 22 Film Review - O Line/Unforced Error Look

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /
How Tyrod did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS - 43 snaps ( way too many....last week was 21 Snaps)

LINE BREAKDOWNS - 9/43 snaps - poor protection on 20% of pass plays( last week was 24%.. slight improvement)..

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 34/43 snaps - time to throw on 80% of pass attempts(slight improvement - last week was 76%).

UNFORCED TYROD ERRORS: - 8/43 snaps or unforced errors on 19% of pass attempts where he had time (worse than last week's 3 unforced errors or 14%)

Bottom Line:
O LINE WAS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT
: - My impression watching the game in real time was that the O Line played worse than they did week 1 against the Colts... this was not the case however. Upon further review.. the O line while certainly not great were also certainly not awful. Taylor's pocket awareness this week was much worse than week 1 and several of the 8 sacks were on him and not on the O Line. In general, the O line had a very good first half and the Bills' 2nd quarter O struggles were due mainly to Taylor's indecisiveness and conservativeness. The O line played worse in the second half .. particularly in Q4.. however Taylor was much more improvisational and aggressive in the 2nd half . Towards the end of the game his athleticism and creativity covered up some of the protection issues that popped up.

PLAYS OF NOTE

q1-7:47 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor is unpressured but throws ball at Mulligan's shoestrings
q1-7:04 - SACK - good coverage, not really anyone's fault
q1-2:33 - SACK - Incognito doesn't pick up stunt, Taylor has no chance
q2-15:00 - UNFORCED ERROR- Interception - Taylor has time but forces throw to Clay and it is picked off
q2-13:14 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor has Harvin open for slant thrown but hesitates and unnecessarily checks down to McCoy
q2-10:27 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor doesn't see wide open Sammy on intermediate crossing route and checks down to Williams
q2 -9:18 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor has good pocket but hesitates and throws high to Clay
q2-6:06 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor throws checkdown to Williams too high.. incomplete.. not pressured
q2-5:22 - Taylor hangs in there, takes a hit and delivers deep ball to Harvin resulting in PI call
q2-2:00 - Taylor hits his 3 step drop and makes nice slant pass Watkins
q2-:44 - SACK - Glenn beaten by Chandler Jones, no chance for Taylor
q3-8:22 - Percy Harvin alligator arms decent Taylor deep throw
q3-7:31- UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor throws 2 yd out to Woods on 3rd and 9 and doesn't see wide open Hogan on crossing route
q3-3:23 - FUMBLE - John Miller gets pushed back into Taylor by Alan Branch
q3-2:54 - SACK - Incognito and Wood don't pick up stunt
q4-14:26 - SACK - Taylor has time should've thrown it away
q4-12:26 - Miller gets beat again.. Taylor has to scramble
q4-11:48- TD - Henderson gets beat around edge but Taylor makes a great scrambling TD throw to Woods
q4-1:15 - UNFORCED ERROR - INT - Taylor had time to throw but forced it to Clay

SUMMARY - Upon further review, the right side of the line wasn't as bad as I thought. Watching in real time it seemed like Miller was getting beaten quite often. In reality, Miller was only really beaten twice and Henderson really only once. Glenn was only cleanly beaten once. Incognito and Wood need to do a better job of picking up stunts.. but neither of them were really physically beaten. In short.. Taylor needs to get back to staying calm and cool in the pocket like he did in preseason and things should sort themselves out.

__________ __________

Edited by Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /

How Tyrod did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

TOTAL PASS PLAYS - 43 snaps ( way too many....last week was 21 Snaps)

LINE BREAKDOWNS - 9/43 snaps - poor protection on 20% of pass plays( last week was 24%.. slight improvement)..

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 34/43 snaps - time to throw on 80% of pass attempts(slight improvement - last week was 76%).

UNFORCED TYROD ERRORS: - 8/43 snaps or unforced errors on 19% of pass attempts where he had time (worse than last week's 3 unforced errors or 14%)

Bottom Line:

O LINE WAS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT - My impression watching the game in real time was that the O Line played worse than they did week 1 against the Colts... this was not the case however. Upon further review.. the O line while certainly not great was not awful. Taylor's pocket awareness this week was much worse than week 1 and several of the 8 sacks were on him and not on the O Line. In general, the O line had a very good first half and the Bills' 2nd quarter O struggles were due mainly to Taylor's indecisiveness and conservativeness. The O line played worse in the second half .. particularly in Q4.. however Taylor was much more improvisational and aggressive in the 2nd half and he covered up some of the protection issues.

PLAYS OF NOTE

q1-7:47 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor is unpressured but throws ball at Mulligan's shoestrings

q1-2:33 - SACK - Incognito doesn't pick up stunt, Taylor has no chance

q2-15:00 - UNFORCED ERROR- Interception - Taylor has time but forces throw to Clay and it is picked off

q2-13:14 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor has Harvin open for slant thrown but hesitates and unnecessarily checks down to McCoy

q2-10:27 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor doesn't see wide open Sammy on intermediate crossing route and checks down to Williams

q2 -9:18 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor has good pocket but hesitates and throws high to Clay

q2-6:06 - UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor throws checkdown to Williams too high.. incomplete.. not pressured

q2-5:22 - Taylor hangs in there, takes a hit and delivers deep ball to Harvin resulting in PI call

q2-2:00 - Taylor hits his 3 step drop and makes nice slant pass Watkins

q2-:44 - SACK - Glenn beaten by Chandler Jones, no chance for Taylor

q3-8:22 - Percy Harvin alligator arms decent Taylor deep throw

q3-7:31- UNFORCED ERROR - Taylor throws 2 yd out to Woods on 3rd and 9 and doesn't see wide open Hogan on crossing route

q3-3:23 - FUMBLE - John Miller gets pushed back into Taylor by Alan Branch

q3-2:54 - SACK - Incognito and Wood don't pick up stunt

q4-14:26 - SACK - Taylor has time should've thrown it away

q4-12:26 - Miller gets beat again.. Taylor has to scramble

q4-11:48- TD - Henderson gets beat around edge but Taylor makes a great scrambling TD throw to Woods

q4-1:15 - UNFORCED ERROR - INT - Taylor had time to throw but forced it to Clay

SUMMARY - Upon further review, the right side of the line wasn't as bad as I thought. Watching in real time it seemed like Miller was getting beaten quite often. In reality, Miller was only really beaten twice and Henderson really only once. Glenn was only cleanly beaten once. Incognito and Wood need to do a better job of picking up stunts.. but neither of them were really physically beaten. In short.. Taylor needs to get back to staying calm and cool in the pocket like he did in preseason and things should sort themselves out.

__________ __________

Good job. :thumbsup:

Your analysis of the OL corresponded to what Whaley said on WGR. And your analysis on the qb corresponded to what Whaley said about the qb. You and Whaley are simpatico!

I really appreciate the effort that goes into this, and thank you for posting it.

I just want to point out the difference in perception:

Example, if you look carefully again at the q1 7:47 play, it appears to me there is a mix-up in blocking assigmnents. Cog winds up with no one to block going "wait, who's my guy?" Clay crosses the formation as Taylor fakes a hand off to McCoy, hesitates as though he may stay in to block, then releases. I think he is the intended target. Chandler Jones breezes past Clay, totally unblocked and salivating for Taylor. Jones appears to be between Taylor and Clay. That is why Taylor throws at Mulligan's shoestrings ' You can see this more clearly if you look at the condensed game in slowmo.

I can not agree with you that unblocked Chandler Jones = Unpressured = Unforced Error

Example 2: if you look carefully again at the q1 7:02 play, it appears to me that it is a busted play. McCoy appears to have been intended as the outlet, but he appears to trip getting through the line, perhaps due to the protection breaking down and the planned hole being shut. Incognito goes to his knees and McCoy squirts out of the line and falls to the ground, untouched by defender. Taylor doesn't like what he sees downfield (as you say, good coverage), looks for McCoy, WHUPS, no McCoy, he's still on the ground and so is one of our linemen so Taylor heads for the other sideline. By that time Ninkovitch fakes Henderson out with a step to the inside, then cuts around him unblocked as Henderson turns to help Miller, who is getting whupped.

I can not agree with you no one's fault, the play appears designed to have an outlet if everyone downfield was covered and the outlet got stuffed. And while Henderson and Miller held their blocks long enough for the 3-count a normal play should take, Henderson did get faked out by Ninkovitch pretty badly.

I believe I read that PFF estimated Taylor was under pressure 50% of the time. So again, there would appear to be a difference in perception. Does that mean Taylor left plays on the field and could have been more aggressive, yes it does. And again, thank you for this post and all the time you put into it - I really hate to raise these points because of that.

Happy to facilitate the discussion and I welcome people pointing out their unique perception of certain plays.

While there may have been a few borderline o line breakdowns i categorized as sufficient protection I think PFF's 50% pressure characterization appears to be very high

Happy to facilitate the discussion and I welcome people pointing out their unique perception of certain plays.

While there may have been a few borderline o line breakdowns i categorized as sufficient protection I think PFF's 50% pressure characterization appears to be very high

When you watch a gem of a qb such as Brady play it is not always appreciated how what he does impacts the OL. Because he can make such quick reads and quickly release the ball he elevates its performance and masks their deficiencies. In their first game with the Steelers the Pats had three rookies on the OL. The inexperience didn't hurt him because the he was quickly making the right calls and releasing the ball.

The more TT plays and gets acclimated to the speed of the game and reading the defense the better he will get at making quick decisions. TT is a smart qb with a good feel for the game. I'm confident that he will steadily get better.

I don't think it's a "unique perception" on my part? Watch the play in slomo. Totally unblocked Chandler Jones not.eq.to "no pressure" and it's very clear Cog had no one to block on that play. Protection error, not a throw at Mulligans shoestrings for no reason.

I don't have the time to do my own all-22 of the whole game, which is why I hesitated to bring this up - hate to critique something I'm not willing or able to put the time/effort into myself - but I did most of the first half and I would say unless things changed dramatically in the 3rd Q PFF is probably right at 50%.

This isn't to absolve Taylor. There were 30 pass plays plus arguably some of his 5 runs, and he made some good throws under pressure. So he failed to exploit plays that he could have, where a pocket existed and he could have stepped into it. He also had protection for long enough to make a throw sometimes when there was pressure.

What I wonder at is to what extent Roman is scripting the start of the game, and to what extent Taylor has the freedom to change plays. The "gee, they stacked the box against us so let's run" play that preceeded the Mulligan shoestring throw is a screaming example and there are others.

When you watch a gem of a qb such as Brady play it is not always appreciated how what he does impacts the OL. Because he can make such quick reads and quickly release the ball he elevates its performance and masks their deficiencies. In their first game with the Steelers the Pats had three rookies on the OL. The inexperience didn't hurt him because the he was quickly making the right calls and releasing the ball.

The more TT plays and gets acclimated to the speed of the game and reading the defense the better he will get at making quick decisions. TT is a smart qb with a good feel for the game. I'm confident that he will steadily get better.

Geez, I hope this is true. While I agree with those who say the line didn't have a great game, I also agree that TT could have made them look better by being more decisive. Some of the sacks are certainly on him.

I don't think it's a "unique perception" on my part? Watch the play in slomo. Totally unblocked Chandler Jones not.eq.to "no pressure" and it's very clear Cog had no one to block on that play. Protection error, not a throw at Mulligans shoestrings for no reason.

I don't have the time to do my own all-22 of the whole game, which is why I hesitated to bring this up - hate to critique something I'm not willing or able to put the time/effort into myself - but I did most of the first half and I would say unless things changed dramatically in the 3rd Q PFF is probably right at 50%.

This isn't to absolve Taylor. There were 30 pass plays plus arguably some of his 5 runs, and he made some good throws under pressure. So he failed to exploit plays that he could have, where a pocket existed and he could have stepped into it. He also had protection for long enough to make a throw sometimes when there was pressure.

What I wonder at is to what extent Roman is scripting the start of the game, and to what extent Taylor has the freedom to change plays. The "gee, they stacked the box against us so let's run" play that preceeded the Mulligan shoestring throw is a screaming example and there are others.

Point taken... I don't mind the critique. The reason I post this is to facilitate discussion... get other people's perceptions.

Good point about scripting...It seems pretty obvious that the first drive was scripted. I did see him a few times making gestures to the line/receivers that appeared to be audbiles.. but I wonder how much freedom he has with audibles and whether or not he should have more leeway?