All-22 Bills vs. Pats* (Tyrod Taylor) -- Jeremy White

YoloinOhio

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the first half on All-22, and as always things don't always look as good or bad as on first view.

It is clear that the sequence of mistakes and stupid penalties in the first quarter that gave Pats* a short field was the difference in the game. I think I'm also seeing the madness in Ryan's defensive game plan. I think the design basically conceded Pats* to pick up yardage. The D toughened up in the redzone after long drives. Pats* only scored two touchdowns on drives of 50+ yards, while three long drives ended up in FGs.

On the other side of the ball there was no rhythm until the fourth quarter. This team isn't good enough yet to overcome stupid errors, and not just the penalties. I saw a few basic blocks that were missed by Shady & Gray that stalled drives. TT was bouncy in the pocket all first half and definitely missed many opportunities to hit wide open WRs in the middle. I don't know if he's still instinctively looking to the sidelines as opposed to the middle, but that's where his guys were.

As an aside I get a kick out of people saying that he's a first read only QB. That was not the case at all. But he does need to trust his protection a bit more and learn to step up a bit to buy a split second, because he had WRs open. Pats* DBs shouldn't scare many people at all. But I don't know how many teams can keep up a shooting match with Pats *

OK,on to second half.

Um ... the Bill scored 5 touchdowns. Going back 5+ years (to 2010), only one other team has scored 5 offensive TDs vs the Pats (the 2012 Niners, who scored 5 too).

Give the Bills offense and Taylor a little credit.

Taylor is fine.

Most disappointing defensive performance in team history.

Hands down.

And this is only 3 years after Wanny gave us the Niners and Seahawks games.

It concerns me that Rex seemed to know the adjustments they needed to make in his postgame PC and yet they couldn't make them in-game.

Unprepared.

Just watched the first half on All-22, and as always things don't always look as good or bad as on first view.

It is clear that the sequence of mistakes and stupid penalties in the first quarter that gave Pats* a short field was the difference in the game. I think I'm also seeing the madness in Ryan's defensive game plan. I think the design basically conceded Pats* to pick up yardage. The D toughened up in the redzone after long drives. Pats* only scored two touchdowns on drives of 50+ yards, while three long drives ended up in FGs.

On the other side of the ball there was no rhythm until the fourth quarter. This team isn't good enough yet to overcome stupid errors, and not just the penalties. I saw a few basic blocks that were missed by Shady & Gray that stalled drives. TT was bouncy in the pocket all first half and definitely missed many opportunities to hit wide open WRs in the middle. I don't know if he's still instinctively looking to the sidelines as opposed to the middle, but that's where his guys were.

As an aside I get a kick out of people saying that he's a first read only QB. That was not the case at all. But he does need to trust his protection a bit more and learn to step up a bit to buy a split second, because he had WRs open. Pats* DBs shouldn't scare many people at all. But I don't know how many teams can keep up a shooting match with Pats *

OK,on to second half.

This was my read on the game, too. The flags early on flipped the field position, put the Patriots up, and put pressure on Tyrod and the offense way too early (and also took the crowd out of the game). The flags really messed up the rhythm and dynamic of the entire game. They also made it borderline unwatchable for those of us in attendance - there was yellow laundry and stoppage on almost every play it seemed. The NFL needs to mind its on-field product a bit better.

(And don't even get me started about the crappy stadium situation - no wifi, pulled the beer taps at the start of the third quarter with hundreds still in line, broken PA, flashing stats from the first quarter the entire game, bathrooms out of order... come on guys, this is the big leagues).

Taylor is fine.

Hands down.

It concerns me that Rex seemed to know the adjustments they needed to make in his postgame PC and yet they couldn't make them in-game.

Unprepared.

How did you feel about Dareus and Hughes dropping into pass coverage?

Imo, this takes away from Mario. He holds his side as well as anyone and I think he is at his best when there is rush up the middle and the qb is forced to his side. This is when he truly levels people and changes the game.

The whole thing sickened me and reminded me of Jauron sending Schobel into coverage. I never, ever expected to see something this piss poor from Rex.

How did you feel about Dareus and Hughes dropping into pass coverage?

Imo, this takes away from Mario. He holds his side as well as anyone and I think he is at his best when there is rush up the middle and the qb is forced to his side. This is when he truly levels people and changes the game.

The whole thing sickened me and reminded me of Jauron sending Schobel into coverage. I never, ever expected to see something this piss poor from Rex.

I was just dumfounded by the gameplan.

You have to disrupt Brady.

You do that by pressing his receivers, disrupting their timing and buying any extra time for your pass rush to get a hand on Brady or get in his passing lanes.

And that is how the personnel of this team is constructed.

They did the exact opposite.

I said it in the preseason, I'm concerned Rex's style of coaching on defense doesn't fit what we have here.

I wasn't impressed with the pass rush against Indy despite the lopsided victory, and against the Patriots, there was no pass rush whatsoever.

If the defense looks bad again against Miami fans are going to turn quickly on Rex and it will be all on him considering we've brought every starter back(aside from Searcy). Perhaps this team is missing the leadership of Brandon Spikes or Pepper Johnson?

I have no idea, but again, im not impressed with the defense and they need to show the fans something on Sunday.

Yeah I didn't get the love for the pass rush versus Indy.

This isn't a "pressures" defense......it's a "sacks" defense.

Fortunately for Rex, if he wants to repeat Schwartz success he just has to line them back up in their wide-9 and let them attack.

No secret to that D........which is why Schwartz didn't have people banging on his door.

Schwartz history is that his D has risen and fallen in direct proportion to it's talent.

By contrast, Rex has been much more consistent.

Hopefully that reflects his ability to adapt.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/21989749.php?contentType=4&contentId=17815292

And a few extras from Yards per Pass:

@YardsPerPass: http://t.co/6elFAWWVtX TTis so good outside the pocket... how many QB's in the league can make this play? http://t.co/3xLn5kmGZq

@YardsPerPass: Let's be honest... if this is Brady running there is no way that flag is EVER picked up http://t.co/1xlc7WwNuU

@YardsPerPass: TT doing his best Brady imitation here... quick throw, take the easy throw from the off CB. Harvin breaks it gets 20 http://t.co/Xdj8F7PyHy

@YardsPerPass: Same play from EZ... great pickup by Shady, TT stands in there and fires.

That's how you win from the pocket http://t.co/rWePOfZK7f

@YardsPerPass: This is all TT needs to do in the pocket

#NetflixAndChill http://t.co/pBjjqrN36H

@YardsPerPass: TT's 2nd INT was just prayer at the end of the half... nobody open under 10 sec left on clock... nothing to see here

@YardsPerPass: Clay TD: TT is soooo good outside the pocket... Developing that pocket sense is key to being great QB

http://t.co/sShrHUZwCS

Good finds, Yolo.

I said it in the preseason, I'm concerned Rex's style of coaching on defense doesn't fit what we have here.

I wasn't impressed with the pass rush against Indy despite the lopsided victory, and against the Patriots, there was no pass rush whatsoever.

If the defense looks bad again against Miami fans are going to turn quickly on Rex and it will be all on him considering we've brought every starter back(aside from Searcy). Perhaps this team is missing the leadership of Brandon Spikes or Pepper Johnson?

I have no idea, but again, im not impressed with the defense and they need to show the fans something on Sunday.

I could be wrong, but I think the complexity of Rex's schemes worked against us on Sunday. Between the Patriot's no-huddle and the crowd noise, I think the Bills D struggled to make substitutions and communicate the play. In fact I believe I heard something in a couple D player interviews to that effect, that if they can get set they can play anyone.

So that is a coaching thing - you know the crowd will be loud, you know the Pats like to run a no-huddle and make it challenging to substitute, you know that pressuring Brady depends on coverage long enough for the pressure to arrive - the game plan must account for these things.

I'll take this...

@SalSports: Bills NFL offensive ranks:

Pts/gm 4th (29.5)

Yards/gm 15th (345.5)

Yards/play 8th (5.76)

Rush yds/gm 3rd (153.5)

Rush yds/play 2nd (4.87)

Meh, I'd rather take the W

I was thinking about that watching GB vs Seattle. Rodgers, who is maybe 1" taller than Taylor, kind of put on a clinic how to step up in the pocket, evade pressure, and make the pass.

He makes no reads, simply stares at ONE receiver. Yeah, that's gonna work in the NFL.

Ask Brady how well that worked for him in the Bills game.

Taylor is fine.

Hands down.

Unprepared.

Yep. That defensive game plan flat out sucked. Mostly Rex's fault not effectively accounting for the quick passes we knew Brady was going to use.