Hedge Fund Manager raises price of HIV drug 5000%

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok was just wondering why it was important to add that bit about Trump supporters. :rolleyes:

Trump + hedge fund managers + look at the pic of that d-bag = Republicans are bad.

Once you read enough of birdog's nonsense, you realize the way he thinks isn't anything but lazy.

a national formulary for all gov't insured patients, for starters.

Only government-insured patients? Why not everyone?

Oh, wait. I see it. The perfect plan. All you independent types get nothing. Only those of us who can not exist without the government taking us from womb to tomb get the national formulary.

Dumbass.

Trump + hedge fund managers + look at the pic of that d-bag = Republicans are bad.

Oh, wait. I see it. The perfect plan. All you independent types get nothing. Only those of us who can not exist without the government taking us from womb to tomb get the national formulary.

Dumbass.

I think he's implying single payer. Which still makes him a dumbass.

Once you read enough of birdog's nonsense, you realize the way he thinks isn't anything but lazy.

Dumbass.

i said for starters, numbnuts. the loopholes in the patent laws re drugs need to be removed. it's almost as if drug lobbyists wrote the laws. no more taking a racemic mixture and purifying the active component and calling it a new drug. no more extensions for new indications. no more new patents for new delivery systems of dubious value. no more removing identical competing generic molecules from the market for some ridiculous excuse to make a few people like this scumbag very rich. also, once the gov't negotiates for low prices using their massive buying power, the private insurers will have more leverage to do the same. andd you get some new leadership at the fda exclusive of all .monetary drug industry ties.

but yeah, single payer is the ultimate goal.

Edited by birdog1960

The drug fights toxoplasmosis.

What's Donald Trump's reply going to be?

"Gotta keep them barefoot and pregnant... Just don't have Mama change the cat's litter box."

@ 750 bucks a pop... I am like "Gee honey, can't we just kill the cats?"

f*&^^%in hilarious :thumbdown:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8876356

in a study of 19 patients, " Eighteen patients had died at the time of study and the median survival following diagnosis of cerebral toxoplasmosis was 10 months (range 3-38 months)." ha,ha ,ha

Edited by birdog1960

f*&^^%in hilarious :thumbdown:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8876356

in a study of 19 patients, " Eighteen patients had died at the time of study and the median survival following diagnosis of cerebral toxoplasmosis was 10 months (range 3-38 months)." ha,ha ,ha

I wasn't trying to be funny. When my wife was pregnant, she stayed away from changing the litter box even know the cat was tested and clean. Guess who still does it? That ain't freaking hillarious.

If it was now treatment and treatment was 750 bucks a pill... I would have quarantined the little beast (only one @ the time... Gee lucky me).

Yeah... I agree w/you... Nice how the OP only lists "HIV drug." How convenient.

I wasn't trying to be funny. When my wife was pregnant, she stayed away from changing the litter box even know the cat was tested and clean. Guess who still does it? That ain't freaking hillarious.

If it was now treatment and treatment was 750 bucks a pill... I would have quarantined the little beast (only one @ the time... Gee lucky me).

Yeah... I agree w/you... Nice how the OP only lists "HIV drug." How convenient.

sorry if i misinterpreted. i get a bit sharp when people discuss the relative merits of price gouging and profit taking over potentially curing serious diseases with drugs that have no reason but greed to be expensive. perhaps i do live in the wrong country. perhaps a significant portion of the population here is truly beyond redemption.

Edited by birdog1960

In the United States, as of 2015, with the acquisition of U.S. marketing of Daraprim tablets by Turing Pharmaceuticals,[15] Daraprim has become a single-source and specialty pharmacy item, and the cost of Daraprim has increased.[16] The cost of a monthly course for a person on 75 mg dose rose to about $75,000/month, from $13/tablet to $833/tablet,[17] or $750 per tablet per a New York Times report from September 2015.[18][19] Outpatients can no longer obtain Daraprim from their community pharmacy, but only through a single dispensing pharmacy, Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy, and institutions can no longer order from their general wholesaler, but have to set up an account with the Daraprim Direct program.[16]

In India, multiple combinations of generic pyrimethanine are available for a price ranging from U.S. $0.05–$0.10 each (3–7 rupees)[20].

In the UK, Daraprim is available from GSK at a cost of U.S. $20 (£13) for 30 tablets (approx. $0.66 each)[21].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrimethamine

If I could I'd take away the US drug market monopoly from US Pharmaceutical companies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrimethamine

If I could I'd take away the US drug market monopoly from US Pharmaceutical companies

it's a simple choice: sick people versus corporations. we all know who wins here. where are all those outraged at selling fetal tissue? i'm not a fan of that practice but how is this not just as insulting to the value of human life?

no one should be surprised. look at the pic of this d-bag. it's like naming tytt the head of eugenics for the world. very bad things will inevitably happen.

interesting that the backlash against TB, which pretty much anyone can get, worked while that for a complication of HIV (toxo) didn't. this is exactly why healthcare shouldn't be a commodity. the next repug debate should feature a question on this topic. let's see if there are any candidates with a soul. what odds do you all give? i'll be holding my breath for Huckabee's answer. maybe he'll parrot falwell.

LOL, seriously? People don't decide what is and is not a commodity. Health care is a commodity whether you want it to be or not.

LOL, seriously? People don't decide what is and is not a commodity. Health care is a commodity whether you want it to be or not.

glad you find it funny. i bet you have health insurance. it's not a commodity in a market sense if it's universally provided by the government with fixed prices.

glad you find it funny. i bet you have health insurance. it's not a commodity in a market sense if it's universally provided by the government with fixed prices.

That is idiocy of the highest order.

Supply and demand does not disappear because the whim of government or anyone else tries to control the supply....or the demand. And I don't find sick people funny, nor do I find the profit motive funny, nor do I find hardship funny. I find willful ignorance of universal truths funny....well comical anyway. That is why I laughed at your post.

That is idiocy of the highest order.

Supply and demand does not disappear because the whim of government or anyone else tries to control the supply....or the demand. And I don't find sick people funny, nor do I find the profit motive funny, nor do I find hardship funny. I find willful ignorance of universal truths funny....well comical anyway. That is why I laughed at your post.

if i didn't think it was above you (and terribly boring) i'd suggest a discussion of the economic definition of commodity. as it is, the cliff notes and excerpts will have to do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity

The term commodity is specifically used for an economic good or service when the demand for it has no qualitative differentiation across a market.[3] In other words, a commodity good or service has full or partial but substantial fungibility; that is, the market treats its instances as equivalent or nearly so with no regard to who produced them. As the saying goes, "From the taste of wheat, it is not possible to tell who produced it, a Russian serf, a French peasant or an Englishcapitalist."[4]Petroleum and copper are other examples of such commodities,[5] their supply and demand being a part of one universal market. Items such as stereo systems, on the other hand, have many aspects of product differentiation, such as the brand, the user interface and the perceived quality. The demand for one type of stereo may be much larger than demand for another.

In contrast, one of the characteristics of a commodity good is that its price is determined as a function of its market as a whole.

clearly in a gov't run system, the market doesn't determine price at all. there isn't a market. the price is fixed as is the supply.

as far as the first condition, it's not met by the current health care system since sit is not fungible but i think most refer to it in a figurative rather than literal sense as a commodity meaning it's bought and sold in much the same way as wheat or ore.

Edited by birdog1960