Hedge Fund Manager raises price of HIV drug 5000%

This story is making the rounds mainly because of the personality behind the move and its impact on the 2016 campaign. Martin Shkreli, the manager of the hedge fund, has been doing his best Trump impersonation while dealing with the public backlash against this move. Asked how he sleeps at night, Shkreli replied, "You know, Ambien."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/hedge-fund-trader-martin-shkreli-hits-back-at-critics-after-raising-price-of-hiv-drug-by-5000-10511960.html?cmpid=facebook-post

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/09/21/3703739/drug-price-spike-overnight/

A second company in Canada tried to jack the prices on TB drugs, only to have that decision reversed due to the public outcry against it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/tb-drug-price-cycloserine-1.3237868

Another article: Douche Bro jacks up prices of life saving medicine, quotes eminem in his defense:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/263811/martin-shkreli-daraprim-price-increase/?utm_source=share-tw&utm_medium=button

Edited by GreggyT

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story is making the rounds mainly because of the personality behind the move and its impact on the 2016 campaign. Martin Shkreli, the manager of the hedge fund, has been doing his best Trump impersonation while dealing with the public backlash against this move. Asked how he sleeps at night, Shkreli replied, "You know, Ambien."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/hedge-fund-trader-martin-shkreli-hits-back-at-critics-after-raising-price-of-hiv-drug-by-5000-10511960.html?cmpid=facebook-post

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/09/21/3703739/drug-price-spike-overnight/

A second company in Canada tried to jack the prices on TB drugs, only to have that decision reversed due to the public outcry against it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/tb-drug-price-cycloserine-1.3237868

Another article: Douche Bro jacks up prices of life saving medicine, quotes eminem in his defense:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/263811/martin-shkreli-daraprim-price-increase/?utm_source=share-tw&utm_medium=button

no one should be surprised. look at the pic of this d-bag. it's like naming tytt the head of eugenics for the world. very bad things will inevitably happen.

interesting that the backlash against TB, which pretty much anyone can get, worked while that for a complication of HIV (toxo) didn't. this is exactly why healthcare shouldn't be a commodity. the next repug debate should feature a question on this topic. let's see if there are any candidates with a soul. what odds do you all give? i'll be holding my breath for Huckabee's answer. maybe he'll parrot falwell.

Edited by birdog1960

no one should be surprised. look at the pic of this d-bag. it's like naming tytt the head of eugenics for the world. very bad things will inevitably happen.

interesting that the backlash against TB, which pretty much anyone can get, worked while that for a complication of HIV (toxo) didn't. this is exactly why healthcare shouldn't be a commodity. the next repug debate should feature a question on this topic. let's see if there are any candidates with a soul. what odds do you all give? i'll be holding my breath for Huckabee's answer. maybe he'll parrot falwell.

They'll just say its all Obamacare's fault!

Actually, examining both of our posting histories, I've caught you in another lie. Go figure.

You're the one whom has advocated for applied eugenics.

I'm the one completely opposed.

1) His being a hedge fund manager has ****-all to do with this.

2) It's an out-of-patent medicine. Anyone with the equipment can manufacture it (and probably should - I wonder if I can get some angel funding.)

3) This guy's an !@#$...jacking up the price from $18 to $750 a pill ("Not $13.50...It's only a 4100% jump, not a 5500% increase!") to make a profit? I'm not against companies making a profit on operations, like some of you are...but this is just price gouging a captive market. Prove you need to sell it at $750/pill to make a profit. Let's see your financials.

4) He's NOT the only source of pyrimethamine, contrary to what's being reported.

1) His being a hedge fund manager has ****-all to do with this.

2) It's an out-of-patent medicine. Anyone with the equipment can manufacture it (and probably should - I wonder if I can get some angel funding.)

3) This guy's an !@#$...jacking up the price from $18 to $750 a pill ("Not $13.50...It's only a 4100% jump, not a 5500% increase!") to make a profit? I'm not against companies making a profit on operations, like some of you are...but this is just price gouging a captive market. Prove you need to sell it at $750/pill to make a profit. Let's see your financials.

4) He's NOT the only source of pyrimethamine, contrary to what's being reported.

it has plenty to do with it. his job is the likely route to his discovering this "opportunity". out of patent doesn't necessarily mean easy to market. for example, colchicine is off patent but all but one manufacturer has yet to prove efficacy and all the other products pulled with resulting price of the remaining drug skyrocketing (even tho the molecule is exactly the same). there are multitudes of similar examples of shyster pharma lawyers gaming patent rules at the expense of patients. I rarely prescribe this drug so I don't know the story behind it but i'll bet it's similar to what I've witnessed.

Edited by birdog1960

it has plenty to do with it. his job is the likely route to his discovering this "opportunity".

Yeah, I'd expect you to say that...you hate everything financial. It's not that it explains why he did what he did...it's that it supports your bull **** narrative.

Yeah, I'd expect you to say that...you hate everything financial. It's not that it explains why he did what he did...it's that it supports your bull **** narrative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/business/a-huge-overnight-increase-in-a-drugs-price-raises-protests.html?src=me&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Most%20Emailed&pgtype=Multimedia

This is not the first time the 32-year-old Mr. Shkreli, who has a reputation for both brilliance and brashness, has been the center of controversy. He started MSMB Capital, a hedge fund company, in his 20s and drew attention for urging the Food and Drug Administration not to approve certain drugs made by companies whose stock he was shorting.

What he lists is for $750 a pill, the insurers who have contracts with patients to provide this drug on formulary negotiate for, $100-150 a pill? Still a tidy profit on a drug that before cost little to nothing in pharma world.

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, but the market does what it does- I guess that's why some guys have yachts, and some don't.

What he lists is for $750 a pill, the insurers who have contracts with patients to provide this drug on formulary negotiate for, $100-150 a pill? Still a tidy profit on a drug that before cost little to nothing in pharma world.

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, but the market does what it does- I guess that's why some guys have yachts, and some don't.

more importantly, it's why some die young and some live long debauched lives.

Why is anyone surprised by this? It's how much of healthcare operates in the US.

i'm not sure anyone is. it's just such a stark example. if people don't see a problem with this then they likely lack a conscience. because of that, it would be a very important question to ask prez candidates about. of course, it's already logical to conclude that those supporting trump are immoral.

i'm not sure anyone is. it's just such a stark example. if people don't see a problem with this then they likely lack a conscience. because of that, it would be a very important question to ask prez candidates about. of course, it's already logical to conclude that those supporting trump are immoral.

Candidates will likely all condemn it publicly. The policies they put forward would be more telling imo.

Candidates will likely all condemn it publicly. The policies they put forward would be more telling imo.

a good moderator would request ideas for a solution...a condemnation would open a very large can of worms.

Edited by birdog1960

A great question to ask a Presidential candidate but only a Republican candidate right?

A great question to ask a Presidential candidate but only a Republican candidate right?

not at all. I wouldn't vote for anyone that wouldn't propose legislation against this kind of exploitation. Clinton has already latched onto the issue. Bernie will very shortly. just watch.

Edited by birdog1960

not at all. I wouldn't vote for anyone that wouldn't propose legislation against this kind of exploitation. Clinton has already latched onto the issue. Bernie will very shortly. just watch.

Ok was just wondering why it was important to add that bit about Trump supporters. :rolleyes: