Cut and Paste from another site

OnTheRocks

Thought this was interesting and decided to share:

Potentitial free agency/trade rumors;

Quarterbacks

Drew Brees - 1/11: In an AP Article, Brees responds to the rumors that he'll be slapped with the franchise tag and be forced to sign a one year deal: "I think the organization knows how I feel. I think I've made that known that I want to be here and I want a long-term contract," the Pro Bowl QB said Monday after the Chargers held their final team meeting. "It's up to them to decide what they want to do." 2/10: The Union-Tribune reports that Brees will in fact be hit with the franchise tag in a week.

Brad Johnson - Likely will be released by the Bucs this offseason. 1/24: From PFW Whispers, after refuting Moss to Arizona rumors as "ridiculous", PFW goes on to saw "the possibility that Arizona might go after QB Brad Johnson in free agency is a different story altogether." 2/7: Joe Gambonrano speculates in an azcentral.com article that the Cards might pursue Johnson. 2/10: An article on PewterReport.com states that "The Arizona Cardinals recently expressed interest in signing Johnson should he be released, but Tampa Bay is hoping a couple of more teams show enough interest to force a team to trade for the veteran quarterback, just as Jacksonville did with Mark Brunell during the 2004 offseason, although Johnson's large contract may prohibit that from happening."

Kurt Warner - 12/29: Warner stated, "I am not going to be content being a backup, that's just the bottom line." Chicago was rumored to be his most likely destination. 2/6: The Arizona Republic reports that the Cardinals have told Kurt Warner that they have no interest in him.

Drew Bledsoe = 1/26: According to a Buffalo News article, The Bills are strongly considering J.P. Losman as their starting QB in '05, and Drew Bledsoe could wind up out of town as a result. After reviewing the 2004 campaign, the team thinks it must give Losman a strong chance to start in what will be his second season. That means Bledsoe is going to have to be willing to compete for, and possibly lose, the job. 2/8: The Arizona Republic reports the Arizona Cardinals would not be interested in QB Drew Bledsoe (Bills) should he be released by the Buffalo Bills this offseason. The Cardinals believe Bledsoe's best days are behind him.

Brian Griese - 1/14: Gruden already has stated that he wants Griese back, but Griese has a huge cap number for 05. Griese's agent, Ralph Cindrich, said Wednesday he has submitted his first contract proposal to the Bucs, who are trying to rework the quarterback's deal to lower his 2005 salary cap number. Griese's current contract carries a 2005 cap figure of $8.3 million. The Bucs are looking to lower that number significantly, and an ESPN report suggests they want to do it soon.

Joey Harrington - 1/12: Reports circulated that the Lions were leaning toward releasing Harrington. The rumor was the Mariucci wanted to cut Harrington, while Millen wanted to keep him. 1/13: The Lions responded to the rumors by releasing a statement that read ""We have absolutely no intention of releasing Joey Harrington, and there has been no organizational discussion about cutting Joey. Joey had his best season this past year and we firmly believe that he will continue to improve We consider the report baseless and untrue."

Matt Hasselbeck - An unrestricted free agent. 1/12: Hasselbeck said that he expects to be back with the team, ""I really thought (signing a new contract) would be done during the season. Mostly I say that just because I'm pretty reasonable."

Gus Ferotte - 1/21: The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports Frerotte is looking for a starting quarterback position but will come back to the Vikings under the right terms. 1/23: The Pioneer Press speculates "Don't be surprised if Vikings free-agent backup quarterback Gus Frerotte gets an opportunity with free-agent teammate DT Chris Hovan to join Denny Green's Arizona Cardinals." 1/31: A Miami Herald Article speculates that Ferotte could end up in Miami.

Jay Fiedler - 1/24: Fox Sports reports that "Feeley has been given the message that he will go into the offseason as the starting quarterback." This continues speculation that Fielder will not be back.

Jeff Garcia - Rumors are that he won't be back with the Browns. 2/7: Joe Gambonrano speculates in an azcentral.com article that the Cards might Garcia.

Kelly Holcombe - 1/10: Rumors in Phoenix on sports talk radio, that Dennis Green might go after Holcombe instead of Brad Johnson or Warner.

Mike McMahon - Some teams have shown interest in him in the past.

Jeff Blake - An unrestricted free agent.

Running Backs

Lamont Jordan - 1/16: Jordan said he doesn't know what his market value is, but he's finished being a backup, saying, "I know I can start on any team in the league." Stated that he wants to return to New York, even as Martin's backup, but "I would definitely want an increased role. I want to play; that's the bottom line." 1/18: A Newsday Article suggests that resigning Jordan should be the Jets' top priority. According to the article, " If Jordan gets to free agency, he's probably gone, because the money could get too astronomical for the Jets to keep him and still stay under the salary cap. That's why they need to get it done before the signing period begins." 1/18: Newsday Article indicates that John Abraham, not Jordan will get the franchise tag. 1/19 - Another Newsday Article restates what has already been said about the Jordan/Jets Situation: ""He reiterated to Herm and to us that he really would like to be here," Bradway said. Chances are, Jordan will get more money to start somewhere else." 1/21: Len P reports that "the Raiders still have some interest in Jordan, but are justifiably concerned that he hasn't carried a full load. " 1/26: The Tampa Tribune reports that the Bucs were named by a league source as a possible destination for Jordan. 2/1: A Tampa Tribune Article names the Bucs as a possible destination for Jordan. 2/10: The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the team is expected to make a "strong offer" for Jordan if they can't get Jerry Porter resigned.

Shaun Alexander - Unrestricted free agent. 11/18: Sun Sentinel Article: "In a conference call, it seemed like RB Shaun Alexander was just as eager to be with the Dolphins in 2005 as Seattle. Depending on who is running the franchise, the Dolphins may try signing a more modestly priced tailback. Still, that won't keep Alexander from dreaming about playing in a warmer climate." The 1/17 edition of PFW's Whispers states "With Seahawks RB Maurice Morris not considered heir-apparent material, word is the Hawks will seriously consider trading for a running back (Travis Henry? Reuben Droughns?) or signing one in free agency should Shaun Alexander depart. At press­time, our sources put the odds on Alexander leaving at 60-40."

Edgerrin James - Colts brass has stated that James will be back. James has stated that he'd love to go back to Miami where he played his college ball. However, since the Colts got Harrison resigned, they have their tag to use on James. From ESPN: "With several of their other offensive stars locked up with new contracts, the Colts can focus on Edgerrin James, and Indianapolis owner Jim Irsay told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the team is set to slap a franchise tag on James to prevent the running back from being a free agent. The Colts structured Harrison's contract with an eye toward retaining enough salary cap flexibility to keep James." 1/18: An Indianapolis Star article echoes a growing sentiment, that the Colts should let James go and spend the money instead on shoring up the defense. The 1/17 edition of PFW's Whispers states "Team observers aren’t 100 percent convinced RB Edgerrin James will be in Indianapolis for the 2005 season. The Colts have said they plan to keep James, but the option to use the team’s franchise designation and trade James remains a possibility. Remember, Colts president Bill Polian traded Marshall Faulk for draft picks." 1/31: In a move that should surprise no one, James is quoted in a Miami Herald Article stating that he would love to return to Miami.

Travis Henry - Has received permission from the Bills to seek a trade. Interested teams are said to be Oakland, Arizona and Miami. Miami seems to have the most interest, the but the Bills are leary of trading him to a division foe. Buffalo reportedly wants a 2nd round pick. Titans GM Floyd Reese shot down "Henry returns to Tennessee" rumors: "''He is a good player, but from our standpoint we probably have more pressing needs,'' Reese said." 1/18: In a Palm Beach Post Article, Henry states that he wants a trade to Miami. "I would love to be down there. I was talking to my agent about getting me down there. That's what Miami needed this year was a running back. I see myself down there if at all possible." The article goes on to say "Henry is so convinced that the Bills will trade him that he has sold off many of his belongings and moved the rest into Florida storage." Oakland, Miami, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Arizona are listed as possible suitors. 1/19: - A Tampa Tribune article suggests that Miami might not be able to come up with a trade for Henry, but suggests that Tampa Bay is interested. 1/21: Len P reports that the Raiders "like Henry, but are concerned about his fumbilitis." 1/27: The Miami Herald quotes Tom Donahoe as saying that the Dolphins remain a trade possibility for Henry: "If we get the right compensation, we would do the trade. We're not going to give him away, but it doesn't matter if the other team is in our division.'' 1/29: The Bucs are reportedly not high on Henry. "The reason is not necessarily the second-round draft pick the Bills are believed to be asking for, but Henry's past fumbling problems." 1/30: A New York Post Article mentions the Vikings as a possible suitor for Henry.

Rudi Johnson - Cincinatti.com states that "the Bengals are expected to use the franchise tag on Johnson if they can't sign him to a long-term contract." 1/23: - Bengals.com reports that "Rudi Johnson’s agent has told the Bengals his client plans to sit out the season rather than play for a one-year deal as a franchise free agent. “That’s what Rudi has told me and that’s what I’ve told the team,” said Peter Schaffer. “He feels like he has showed good faith by playing this past year on a one-year deal and that he has earned the security of something long term.”" 1/31: In a Dan Pompei Sporting News Article he states "Don't be surprised if the Bengals allow RB Rudi Johnson to take a free-agent hike. The Bengals have decided they will not pay Johnson at the level of the top backs in the NFL, and they are not likely to put the franchise tag on him. How could they be so comfortable allowing a solid starter to walk? Bengals coach Marvin Lewis would be confident going into next season with Chris Perry as his starter. Perry, the Bengals' first-round pick in 2004, didn't make much of an impact as a rookie mostly because of a sports hernia. But Lewis believes Perry will be a special player who could be the team's 2005 equivalent of QB Carson Palmer this season." 2/1: Johnson's agent is quoted in the Cincinatti Post stating that Johnson will sit out the season if the Bengals place the francise tag on Johnson. 2/8: Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports the Cincinnati Bengals could opt to transition tag RB Rudi Johnson rather than place the franchise tag on him. However, by making Johnson a transition free agent and tendering him a one-year offer of $5.2 million (the average of the top 10 paid backs), the Bengals could risk losing Johnson in the offseason if another team makes a contract offer Cincinnati chooses not to match.

Brian Westbrook - Restricted free agent. Expected to ink big money deal with Eagles in offeseason.

Anthony Thomas - An urestricted free agent. Will not be back with the Bears. Thomas said at season's end, "They're rebuilding, and I'm not part of that equation."

Reuben Droughns - 1/18: The Broncos give Droughns permission to seek a trade as Bell appears to be their guy. 1/19 - A Miami Herald quotes agent Drew Rosenhaus saying that Miami is Droughns preferred destination, "Agent Drew Rosenhaus said he has received permission from the Broncos to seek a trade for RB Reuben Droughns, and he plans to speak with the Dolphins.''Reuben's not interested in splitting time with Tatum Bell'' Rosenhaus said.``We've targeted the Dolphins as a team that we'll talk and visit with, either later this week or at the Senior Bowl next week.''

Amos Zereoue - 1/21: InsideBayArea.com reports that Zereoue "is set to become an unrestricted free agent. However, there does not appear to be a lot of outside interest for him."

Jerome Bettis - 1/24: Bettis says he "probably" couldn't say either way(whether he would be back with the Steelers in 05). He hinted that salary and playing time considerations could play into his decision. 2/2: In a Pittsburgh Tribune Review Article Bettis "said he still hasn't decided if he will return for his 13th season, but he said that, if he does come back, he would be content to remain a backup to Duce Staley. Bettis, who will turn 33 on Feb. 16, said he wants to be sure that he is physically ready to return before he commits to another season."

Eddie George - 1/23: George tells the Nashville Tennesseen that he's nowhere near ready to call it quits after nine NFL seasons. The Titans' all-time leading rusher and four-time Pro Bowl selection wants to play another 3 or 4 years, only this time for a team that wants him.''I just really wasn't one of (Parcells') guys."

Kevin Barlow - 1/23: A New York Post Article states "The Niners are willing to dump Kevan Barlow since the disappointing back is due $6.5 million roster bonus on March 1. A source tells The Post that Barlow could be had very cheaply."

Michael Bennett - 1/23: A New York Post Article states "The Vikes are planning to shop either Onterrio Smith or Michael Bennett this offseason. Minnesota is hopeful of acquiring a second- or third-round pick."

Onterrio Smith - 1/23: A New York Post Article states "The Vikes are planning to shop either Onterrio Smith or Michael Bennett this offseason. Minnesota is hopeful of acquiring a second- or third-round pick."

Mike Alstott - 1/26 : A Tampa Tribune article on the Bucs interest in Cadillac Williams suggests that Alstott could be a salary cap casualty. 2/10: An article on PewterReport.com states that "Although Tampa Bay may attempt to rework his deal and offer him a league-minimum contact in the next few weeks, Alstott could also become a cap casualty. The “A-Train” carried the ball a career-low 67 times for 230 yards (3.4 avg.) last season, and his $2 million cap value in 2005 along with head coach Jon Gruden’s desire to feature more of a two halfback-driven offense could make him a bit pricey for the cap-strapped Bucs."

Najeh Davenport - Would probably fair better if there weren't so many other options on the free agent RB market.

Verron Haynes - Everyone's favorite offseason RB sleeper.

Jesse Chatman - Quality backup to Tomlinson.

Dominic Rhodes - Many a dynasty owner is sitting on Rhodes and hoping hard that James finds his way to a new team.

Derrick Blaylock - Rumors are the Cardinals are interested in him, thought they would probably acquire another back in the draft/free agency to compete with him. The Cardinals new O-coordinator used to be the Chiefs O-Line coach, helping to fuel these rumors.

Ron Dayne - Showed up in training camp in the best shape of his career and demonstrated a lot of speed, but wasn't used much in the regular season. He'll hit the free agent market. The Palm Beach Post speculates that the Dolphins may be interested in Dayne, "Look for RB Ron Dayne to end up in Miami playing for former Big Ten coach Nick Saban. Dayne, who certainly isn't going to return to the Giants, is said to be very high on Miami's wish list. However, sources close to the Dolphins state the club will not be very patient with Dayne."

Chester Taylor - Has looked good backing up Jamal Lewis the past two years.

Wide Receivers

Jerry Porter - An unrestricted free agent. Struggled with injuries and consitancy, but saw his value surge after a big second half of the year. After voiding the final year of his contract with the Raiders said on his future in Oakland, "I'm done." 12/26 New York Post Article: "It sure seems as if free-agent-to-be Jerry Porter already has his bags packed for Tampa. The Oakland receiver has told teammates that he plans to sign with the Bucs this offseason, while a Bucs source confirmed that the interest is mutual." 12/30: San Jose Mercury News Article: Kerry Collins makes a plea to keep Porter - "It's very important, I've gotten a good rapport established with him. He can be an 80-catch guy in this system, no problem. I think that's one of the most important things that'll happen this off-season. We've got something started, and he's a big part of what we'd like to do.'" 1/23: Len Pasquerlli says that "Wide receiver Jerry Porter, expected to be one of the most ardently pursued unrestricted free agents when the signing period commences in less than two months, might not make it onto the open market. Although a deal is not yet imminent, sources close to Porter told ESPN.com that there has been ongoing dialogue with Oakland officials." 1/24: From PFW Whispers, "Though contract talks continue, it would be considered a real surprise if WR Jerry Porter re-signed with the Raiders before free agency opens in March. The feeling is he really would like to see what kind of market there is for him out there, and the Raiders, at least presently, appear content with that." 2/10: The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Porter has turned down a lucrative offer from the Raiders to test the free agent market. "I owe it to myself to get my market value, if not (sign with) some team that will pay me more than market value. I owe it to myself to find out (what I can get).''

Randy Moss - Articles in both Minnesota and Phoenix have local columnists talking about a Moss to the Cardinals possiblity. 1/18 - Pioneer Press: McCombs said he doesn't expect Moss to be anywhere else next season, and, when asked if Moss could be traded, he replied: "I don't think so. "I don't see how we would want to give up a player like that." 1/23: A New York Post Article states "WR Randy Moss' days in Minnesota may very well be finished. A source confirmed that a Vikings official contacted owner Al Davis, who said he'd be interested in acquiring Moss. A front-office source said they'd likely accept "an impact defensive player and a first-round pick" for Moss, who is signed through 2008. The source said it's "more than likely going to get done."" 1/25: A Star Tribune Article chronicles all the rumored trade destinations for Moss: Ravens, Raiders, Dolphins and Jets. 2/1: Joe Gibbs is quoted in a Star Tribune Article stating that the Redskins are not interested in acquiring Randy Moss. 1/30: A New York Daily News article states that " If the Vikings make WR Randy Moss available, as seems to be the case, the Ravens could make the strongest push for him." 2/6: Red McCombs has given permission to trade Randy Moss. In return the Vikings want a combination of draft picks and players, preferably a defensive starter. 2/7: McCombs denies the ESPN report about shopping Moss. In a brief interview from his home in San Antonio, McCombs said he has not authorized any trade discussions for Moss. And while the team likely will entertain offers once the trading period begins March 2, Brzezinski said there have been no discussions, either with McCombs or other NFL teams. 2/7: New York Newsday, reports the New York Jets are interested in trading for Minnesota Vikings WR Randy Moss, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. A trade to the Jets would reunite Moss with his college quarterback, Chad Pennington, who played two seasons with him at Marshall. "I think he'd be a great teammate," Pennington said of Moss. 2/7: ProFootballTalk.com reports that the the Raiders offered cornerback Philip Buchanon straight up for Moss during the season, but the Vikings declined. This prompted them to speculate that they'll continue to push for Moss. 2/9: An article on the Ultimate Jaguars Page states that "Owner Wayne Weaver said Tuesday that the (Jaguars) would not be willing to meet the Minnesota Vikings' asking price for the mercurial wide receiver, which reports say is two first-round draft picks or a first-round pick and a current starter."

Derrick Mason - Mentioned in the Tennesseen as a possible cap casuality. Derrick Mason has led the Titans in receptions for four consecutive seasons and is very reliable, but he's also due $4.7 million ($3.2 million base salary, $1.5 million roster bonus) this year. Unless Mason and the Titans can rework his contract to reduce those numbers, he'll be released. That would shift pressure to Drew Bennett and Tyrone Calico.

Plaxico Burress - 1/24: Burress says he "probably" wouldn't be back following Sunday night's 41-27 loss to the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game

Muhsin Muhammad - Hadn't heard any destinations, but he was in the press box for the Eagles/Vikings game, prompting speculation that the Eagles are his choice. The last two players who had worked playoff games at Lincoln Financial Field for the NFL Network ended up signing with the Eagles. 1/26: A Charolette Observer states that " Panthers general manager Marty Hurney and the agent for wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad met Tuesday to discuss ways for the team to keep Muhammad. He is under contract for 2005, but he's scheduled to receive a $10 million bonus March 2 and to carry a $12.5 million salary-cap figure. Both sides admit Carolina can't keep him at a cap figure that high." 1/30: A New York Post Article states that "If the Panthers ax Muhammad, the Bears are certain to make a very strong run at him. Muhammad's availability would add a solid player to a relatively weak FA group of wideouts led by WR Plaxico Burress."

Koren Robinson - Still under contract, but the Seahawks are unhappy with him (suspension, generally underwhelming performance). Could be trade bait.

Rod Gardner - 1/24: From PFW Whispers, "Tampa Bay is a strong possibility for WR Rod Gardner, according to Redskins observers, and the price the team might ask in a trade would be a mid-round draft pick." 1/29: A Len Pasquerelli Article states "The agent for Rod Gardner confirmed to ESPN.com on Saturday that the Washington Redskins have granted him permission to seek a trade for the veteran wide receiver. Washington is believed to want a second-round choice in the 2005 draft in return for Gardner, who was the Redskins' first-round pick in 2001. One team that has already been whispered to have some interest in Gardner is Tampa Bay, which intends to upgrade its wide receiver corps."

T.J. Houshmandzadeh - New York papers mentioned Houshmandzadeh as a target in free agency. 2/1: In a Cincinatti Post states that the Bengals want Houshmanzadeh to return as a starter, making re-signing him second only to resigning Rudi Johnson.

David Patten - Unrestricted free agent. 2/7: A Len Pasquerrelli article states that "the Pats would like to retain (Patten) at a palatable price.".

Tight Ends

Bubba Franks - Franks is an unrestricted free agent. 1/29: A Milwaukee Journal Sentinel states that Franks' future with the Packers is "uncertain". Franks is quoted as saying ""There haven't been any talks really and I don't know what's going to happen. If this was it, though, at least I went on a good note." and "If I come back, I hope I get a few more chances. I hope that's the case wherever I end up." A Pro Football Weekly Article speculates that the Packers could place the franchise tag on Franks: "Green Bay could save money by paying Franks the average salary of the top five players at the position instead of locking him up long term with a deal that includes a substantial signing bonus."

Anthony Becht - Is an unrestricted free agent and likely won't be re-signed by the Jets. "There has been no talk," Becht said of contract negotiations with the Jets. "I'm going to play very hard. I'm very loyal. I'm a Jet now. Whatever happens in the future, happens. "I'm not worried about whether I'm here or not. If I am, great. I love it here. If I'm not, I'm not."

Jermainne Wiggins - Showed a lot of skills that nobody knew he had.

Kicker

Adam Viniateri - Unrestricted free agent. 2/7: Per a Len pasquerelli article on the Pats, "Don't believe for a second, though, that Vinatieri will be plying his trade elsewhere in 2005. Word is that, if the two sides can't agree on a long-term deal, the Patriots will use the "franchise" tag on their star kicker."

Nobody knows, do they?

Arizona could potentially be interested in Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner, Gus Ferotte, Jeff Garcia and Kelly Holcomb depending on who you believe. The only QB that they have said they don't want (according to the report) is DB. That could mean that DB is the guy they really want. It's all smoke. Fun to speculate though.

What a great pickup Muhsin Mohammed would be. He was outstanding this past year and I would love to have him on our team. He's not a priority position right now, but still...he's going to be something special the next few years.

238611[/snapback]

He could definately fit in here. I think he would probably be the number 3 WR here though.

He could definately fit in here.  I think he would probably be the number 3 WR here though.

238613[/snapback]

93 receptions, 1400+ yards, 16 TDs last year..

yeah, he'd go somewhere and be a #3...

Just in case you're wondering, Moulds had 88rec, 1043yards and 5 TDs.

Evans had 48 recs, 843yards, and 9 TDs.

But yeah, he's be a #3...

Man, sometimes I wonder.

Man, sometimes I wonder.

238619[/snapback]

I didn't say he would be a number 3 because he wouldn't come here to be a number 3, but I think Evans will continue to produce and Moulds is a better WR (over the course of a career, not one year) than Muhammad is. The only spot he could fill here is the number 3 WR spot.

By saying he would "fit in here" that doesn't mean I think he would come here, but he's certainly a better fit than Josh Reed has been yes?

Man, sometimes I wonder.

238619[/snapback]

These were his numbers in 2003 when he had a healthy Steve Smith playing across from him.

My guess is some team is going to overpay for him, and I would rather it not be the Bills.

15 Games

54 Catches

837 Yards

3 TD