Brees torn rotator cuff?

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brees cap # in 2016 is now 30 million (!)

and comes with even more dead money due to the restructure if they try to move him

Yeah, but a few months back he was talking about playing into his 40's. I feel like Brees is going to be one of those guys that hangs around way too long.

given his inability to separate from the job even for a day last week, its hard to see him being ready to walk away unless his shoulder is very serious.

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah, but a few months back he was talking about playing into his 40's. I feel like Brees is going to be one of those guys that hangs around way too long.

Not to beat a dead horse but it just did not make any sense to me why the Saints wouldn't try to move Brees this past offseason. They were going to stink with him or without him & for a cash poor franchise like NO to pay all that money to a player when the rest of the roster stinks is just plain foolishness. Yeah I know it would of been a bad PR move to try to move him but sometimes you need to make those tough decisions. They could of probably got 2 first round picks for him this offseason & would of saved all that cash.

Not to beat a dead horse but it just did not make any sense to me why the Saints wouldn't try to move Brees this past offseason. They were going to stink with him or without him & for a cash poor franchise like NO to pay all that money to a player when the rest of the roster stinks is just plain foolishness. Yeah I know it would of been a bad PR move to try to move him but sometimes you need to make those tough decisions. They could of probably got 2 first round picks for him this offseason & would of saved all that cash.

The cap hit was far too damaging. They really had no choice but to keep him.

I don't know, there is always a way to move money around.

Moving money around is really code for pushing it forward and spreading it out. If he is cut or traded this offseason I believe that it will only be a $10M cap hit in 2016 now. I think this year it was something like $26M.

EDIT: It looks like his dead cap money on 2015 would have been $33.8M. That is why he couldn't go anywhere.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Moving money around is really code for pushing it forward and spreading it out. If he is cut or traded this offseason I believe that it will only be a $10M cap hit in 2016 now. I think this year it was something like $26M.

EDIT: It looks like his dead cap money on 2015 would have been $33.8M. That is why he couldn't go anywhere.

Wow, I never heard of a cap hit that high. Well I guess that explains it.

Looks like his dead money in 2016 is only $10M.

So if he ends up wanting to play a few more years, he probably gets a new deal before the start of the 2016 league year, right?

Looks like his dead money in 2016 is only $10M.

So if he ends up wanting to play a few more years, he probably gets a new deal before the start of the 2016 league year, right?

Yeah, it is a tough situation for the Saints. They already have a bad cap situation next year (Galette & Graham & MAYBE Byrd). The team stinks and lack talent all over the field. Should they continue to invest in a 36 year-old QB (or whatever he is) or move on? He is a surefire first ballot HOFer and the franchise's greatest player. He is an icon. How will this story end?

One quick answer...McCown from the Verizon commercials...they definitely would have been forced to run this move by Verizon's marketing department before they could pull the trigger. Otherwise, ROGUE!

I don't know, there is always a way to move money around.

moving money around is a term that creates MORE dead money, not less. you dont get out of accounting for the money paid out.

Yeah, it is a tough situation for the Saints. They already have a bad cap situation next year (Galette & Graham & MAYBE Byrd). The team stinks and lack talent all over the field. Should they continue to invest in a 36 year-old QB (or whatever he is) or move on? He is a surefire first ballot HOFer and the franchise's greatest player. He is an icon. How will this story end?

graham will be out of the dead money next year, i believe.