Question about Bledsoe dead money

OnTheRocks

From what I understand, if the Bills cut Bledsoe, they save 2.2 mil but he will still cost 4.3 mil.

My question is, would there still be any dead money attributed to him beyond 2005? Or will they be free and clear after this next upcoming season?

From what I understand, if the Bills cut Bledsoe, they save 2.2 mil but he will still cost 4.3 mil.

My question is, would there still be any dead money attributed to him beyond 2005?  Or will they be free and clear after this next upcoming season?

238276[/snapback]

I think there is dead cap money for both years left on his contract.

Clump will be around sooner or later today to verify.

My question is, would there still be any dead money attributed to him beyond 2005?  Or will they be free and clear after this next upcoming season?

238276[/snapback]

No, that's the beauty of cutting him now. ;)

Oops.. his signing bonus is split over 3 years on the cap.

1/3 to 2004,

1/3 to 2005, and

1/3 to 2006.

We'd still have that 1/3rd on the cap.

Edited by Rico

No, that's the beauty of cutting him now. ;)

Oops.. his signing bonus is split over 3 years on the cap.

1/3 to 2004,

1/3 to 2005, and

1/3 to 2006.

We'd still have that 1/3rd on the cap.

238280[/snapback]

Noy correct, if he is cut before June 1 the remaining portion of his bonus money money not already amortorized will be in 05. There will be no hit in 06.

;)

The "dead cap" will be 2/3 of his $6.5 million signing bonus he got just after the 2004 draft. That's $4,333,333, all of which falls on 2005 cap. Drew would not count on 2006 cap anymore and that's over $8 million off the 2006 cap.

His 2005 cap savings, when adjusted for "top 51" rule, is $1,953,334

Take his cap number of $6,516,666 - $4,333,333 = $2,183,333

His release requires the 52nd highest cap charge to be included in the "top 51" and that is $230,000

$2,183,333 -$230,000 = $1,953,334 cap savings

:blink:

$2,183,333 -$230,000 = $1,953,334

238335[/snapback]

i really hope drew sticks around to compete for his job because i think we'll be hard pressed to find a competent backup at that cap hit or lower........

i also don't like the fact any new QB brought in will have to start from scratch on the offense, were as drew has been exposed to the playbook for over a year.......there will be a learning curve for any QB signed, which will but hand the #1 job to JP.........i think he should have to earn it........

i really hope drew sticks around to compete for his job because i think we'll be hard pressed to find a competent backup at that cap hit or lower........

i also don't like the fact any new QB brought in will have to start from scratch on the offense, were as drew has been exposed to the playbook for over a year.......there will be a learning curve for any QB signed, which will but hand the #1 job to JP.........i think he should have to earn it........

238342[/snapback]

Yeah, exactly. The marginaL cost of keeping Drew as a back-up is 1.9 million a year. Any backup that we get has to have a value and cost mix that equals Drew at 1.9 million a year to make this an even move. I am not sure if we can get that, but I guess the Bills don't have a choice in this matter...

Yeah, exactly. The marginaL cost of keeping Drew as a back-up is 1.9 million a year. Any backup that we get has to have a value and cost mix that equals Drew at 1.9 million a year to make this an even move. I am not sure if we can get that, but I guess the Bills don't have a choice in this matter...

238571[/snapback]

So the question becomes,

Is Drew worth 1.9 M?

I'd have to say NO :devil: