Taylor Review

Thurmal34

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except when you compare the three, it's clear that Tyrod's game is much more complete and he is proving that he's not a running QB who also happens to throw passes.

OK.

This thread (and others) though remind me of at this point in the season in 2008 there was thread on who Trent Edwards reminds you of. The overwhelming favorite was Joe Montana. Tyrod has been doing very well these first 3 games. Sorry, I don't crown anyone after 3 games.

Hopefully he continues to play well, but it is far from a guarantee at this point.

Go BILLS!

So we have Taylor locked up through 2016, correct? So if he plays well through this season, this offseason would be the time to negotiate a long term contract. Does that sound right? I imagine locking him up sooner might provide better value if his stock keeps rising though.

OK.

This thread (and others) though remind me of at this point in the season in 2008 there was thread on who Trent Edwards reminds you of. The overwhelming favorite was Joe Montana. Tyrod has been doing very well these first 3 games. Sorry, I don't crown anyone after 3 games.

Hopefully he continues to play well, but it is far from a guarantee at this point.

Go BILLS!

There were also people in 2008 who were shouted down who said that Edwards reminded them of a younger Kelly Holcomb. As were the people who pointed out that Edwards couldn't score TDs.

Yes, three games is a small sample set. But it may not be a coincidence that this is the first QB in 24 years who's put up numbers like that.

There were also people in 2008 who were shouted down who said that Edwards reminded them of a younger Kelly Holcomb. As were the people who pointed out that Edwards couldn't score TDs.

Yes, three games is a small sample set. But it may not be a coincidence that this is the first QB in 24 years who's put up numbers like that.

Yep. I am nowhere near saying that TT is a full time good starter in the NFL. But the comparisons to Edwards IMO are not right. Edwards was given credit for a lot of stuff he flat never showed. TT has done a lot of little things already that are very impressive. It's still a tiny sample and not enough to go on. But Edwards was never good against a rush which Tyrod has already shown. He has a much stronger arm. He has complete command of the offense (Edwards was good at one thing--pre snap reads on short passes).

Yep. I am nowhere near saying that TT is a full time good starter in the NFL. But the comparisons to Edwards IMO are not right. Edwards was given credit for a lot of stuff he flat never showed. TT has done a lot of little things already that are very impressive. It's still a tiny sample and not enough to go on. But Edwards was never good against a rush which Tyrod has already shown. He has a much stronger arm. He has complete command of the offense (Edwards was good at one thing--pre snap reads on short passes).

You may be hesitant to declare TT a full time good starter but I'm not. I've seen enough of his skills that allow me to make a judgment now. As a passer he has all the skills. He is accurate, has a strong arm and has shown the right level of touch when required. When he is moving he keeps his eyes down field and is able to make the right read as the play is extended.

There are still some issues regarding his pocket presence but I attribute that more to his lack of experience rather than his lack of feel of the pocket. TT has already mastered the playbook. There have been countless times where he had to direct players to get in the right position. He knows what he is supposed to know and he knows where the other position players are supposed be and do.

There are aspects to the qb position that all the many prior starting candidates for the Bills not only didn't have but were evident to the casual fan. Losman had physical skills but it was apparent to all that he was never going to be able to consistently put it together. Rob Johnson had physical and throwing talents but he never mastered the basic notion of getting rid of the ball and wait for a better situation with the next play. Trent Edwards simply didn't have the pyschological makeup to trust his receivers and what he sees and let the ball go. He never got over his hesitation to take a risk and would always would resort to the safe inconsequential play.

I have been pleasantly surprised at TT's passing ability. But that isn't why I am so quickly making a judgment on him. HIs football intelligence and composure are traits that can't be taught. He has the same impressive traits that Russell Wilson has and that were evident very early when he first took the field. I'm not saying that he is better than Wilson but I am saying that there is a similarity to his game that are very apparent, even at this very early stage of his starting history.

Without a doubt there is going to be some uneven play. That is standard for inexperienced qbs. Defenses will be adjusting to him as he will be adjusting to them. But I'm confident that his trajectory is upward. The organization brought in a low cost player and they hit the jackpot.

I trust my eyes and they tell me what is obvious. He has the makings of not only being a starter in this league but he has the makings of being a very good qb. I don't have a tendency to inflate the talents of hometeam players. I understand why most people would be more comfortable being cautious in making an early judgment on TT. Not I!

You may be hesitant to declare TT a full time good starter but I'm not. I've seen enough of his skills that allow me to make a judgment now. As a passer he has all the skills. He is accurate, has a strong arm and has shown the right level of touch when required. When he is moving he keeps his eyes down field and is able to make the right read as the play is extended.

There are still some issues regarding his pocket presence but I attribute that more to his lack of experience rather than his lack of feel of the pocket. TT has already mastered the playbook. There have been countless times where he had to direct players to get in the right position. He knows what he is supposed to know and he knows where the other position players are supposed be and do.

There are aspects to the qb position that all the many prior starting candidates for the Bills not only didn't have but were evident to the casual fan. Losman had physical skills but it was apparent to all that he was never going to be able to consistently put it together. Rob Johnson had physical and throwing talents but he never mastered the basic notion of getting rid of the ball and wait for a better situation with the next play. Trent Edwards simply didn't have the pyschological makeup to trust his receivers and what he sees and let the ball go. He never got over his hesitation to take a risk and would always would resort to the safe inconsequential play.

I have been pleasantly surprised at TT's passing ability. But that isn't why I am so quickly making a judgment on him. HIs football intelligence and composure are traits that can't be taught. He has the same impressive traits that Russell Wilson has and that were evident very early when he first took the field. I'm not saying that he is better than Wilson but I am saying that there is a similarity to his game that are very apparent, even at this very early stage of his starting history.

Without a doubt there is going to be some uneven play. That is standard for inexperienced qbs. Defenses will be adjusting to him as he will be adjusting to them. But I'm confident that his trajectory is upward. The organization brought in a low cost player and they hit the jackpot.

I trust my eyes and they tell me what is obvious. He has the makings of not only being a starter in this league but he has the makings of being a very good qb. I don't have a tendency to inflate the talents of hometeam players. I understand why most people would be more comfortable being cautious in making an early judgment on TT. Not I!

I agree. Once he started trusting his line, the field opened up for him.

He's going to be a top 10-15 QB for a long time.

OK.

Go BILLS!

I do think that's fair. We haven't yet seen a full season body of work, and the 4-0 crash of 2008 and the 3-0 crash of 2011 are very much present in my mind.

But Tyrod, so far, has shown a few things that Trent and Fitz didn't. He has Trent's accuracy, except he isn't checking the ball down constantly. He'll put it up there like Fitz, but generally only when he has a mismatch like Sammy in a one on one, or Harvin when he has breakwaway speed on a go route, and he has the arm strength to lay it out where only the receiver has a chance on it. Toss in his running ability, and while his opening numbers might be overinflated, this is the best we've seen on a consistent basis in a long time.