Taylor Review

Thurmal34

Exactly. He sucked today. I'm not saying he's the reason we lost either, but I can't think of many things he did to contribute to the Bills winning.

He was tentative, indecisive, and slow.

I haven't read thru the entire thread so maybe this has been covered by someone with eyes: TT was lucky to make it to ONE read with the miserable job the O line was doing in pass protection.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The QB wasn't the biggest problem from what I saw. Yea he did play poorly quite a bit yesterday, and did some good things too.

I'm far more concerned about the defense that looked so good most of last year, and allowing a new franchise record for passing with 466 yards from Brady. The Bills defense is currently ranked 30th in the NFL right now.

Yep, This.

I've said this in a few places, but since this appears to be the Tyrod catch-all thread, here's my opinion:

Taylor fizzled after the scripted plays, and had two stretches of game (from mid-1st to mid-2nd, and the entire 3rd) where, to me, he looked lost out there. Tentative, checking down too often, skittish in the pocket, walking himself into sacks, fumbling the ball, not taking off soon enough, etc.

He did, however, rally quite effectively in the 4th quarter, using his legs to buy time and keeping his eyes downfield where he could make plays. That, by itself, was encouraging.

That he struggled is not a concern to me; lots of inexperienced starters struggle, especially against Belichick. How he responds and grows from his struggles are the key factor IMO.

8 in the box most of the time. Can't run against that. Called swing passes against 8 in the box. They were all over that. Un touched blitzers up the middle. He did as much as possible. We were out coached period and didn't adjust. Ask Rex. He was more mad at himself than normal. With our O line we must use our TE to catch the quick pass and get them out of 8 in the box.

I've said this in a few places, but since this appears to be the Tyrod catch-all thread, here's my opinion:

Taylor fizzled after the scripted plays, and had two stretches of game (from mid-1st to mid-2nd, and the entire 3rd) where, to me, he looked lost out there. Tentative, checking down too often, skittish in the pocket, walking himself into sacks, fumbling the ball, not taking off soon enough, etc.

He did, however, rally quite effectively in the 4th quarter, using his legs to buy time and keeping his eyes downfield where he could make plays. That, by itself, was encouraging.

That he struggled is not a concern to me; lots of inexperienced starters struggle, especially against Belichick. How he responds and grows from his struggles are the key factor IMO.

Even more important in my view: The Bills offense is averaging 4 TDs per game right now. Simply put, they're going to score more with him at the helm. He's a lot harder to defend than Orton, Edwards, Fitz, Manuel, Holcomb, Losman, Bledsoe, and Johnson.

8 in the box most of the time. Can't run against that. Called swing passes against 8 in the box. They were all over that. Un touched blitzers up the middle. He did as much as possible. We were out coached period and didn't adjust. Ask Rex. He was more mad at himself than normal. With our O line we must use our TE to catch the quick pass and get them out of 8 in the box.

There were indeed 8 in the box, and we were out-coached.

Those points, IMO, are mutually-exclusive from the fact that Taylor did not play well at times. He was not careful with the ball, did not see open targets down the field, and missed some throws.

Even more important in my view: The Bills offense is averaging 4 TDs per game right now. Simply put, they're going to score more with him at the helm. He's a lot harder to defend than Orton, Edwards, Fitz, Manuel, Holcomb, Losman, Bledsoe, and Johnson.

I agree with that...again, I don't think Taylor having room for improvement is a bad thing.

Exactly...They would have needed 40+ to beat the *Patsie's, sorry, but no QB on our bench gets us close to that...

Edited by ricojes

There were indeed 8 in the box, and we were out-coached.

Those points, IMO, are mutually-exclusive from the fact that Taylor did not play well at times. He was not careful with the ball, did not see open targets down the field, and missed some throws.

I agree with that...again, I don't think Taylor having room for improvement is a bad thing.

One other thing: when is the last time that a Bills qb was averaging 8.9 ypa, completing passes at a 76 percent rate, and running wild at least once a game? Some people are looking a gift horse in the mouth, methinks ...

Exactly...They would have needed 40+ to beat the *Patsie's, sorry, but no QB on our bench gets us close to that...

they would have had 35 if Carpenter didn't miss that XP.

One other thing: when is the last time that a Bills qb was averaging 8.9 ypa, completing passes at a 76 percent rate, and running wild at least once a game? Some people are looking a gift horse in the mouth, methinks ...

I don't know that I'd call Taylor a "gift horse" at this point, but I do agree that the "he sucked" sentiment is over-played.

He struggled mightily at times yesterday, but rallied to make plays that got the team close at the end.

He needs to improve, and has the ability to do so; I'm very intrigued by what he can do.

I don't know that I'd call Taylor a "gift horse" at this point, but I do agree that the "he sucked" sentiment is over-played.

He struggled mightily at times yesterday, but rallied to make plays that got the team close at the end.

He needs to improve, and has the ability to do so; I'm very intrigued by what he can do.

yeah, that's just an expression. he wasn't perfect yesterday by any means, but he did make some good plays.

Or if we ran a good 2 point conversion play!

Did Tyrod struggle at times yesterday? Absolutely. But, it is one thing to struggle against the best team in football in your second career start and another to struggle against non-playoff teams (e.g. EJ against Houston last year).

That Tyrod could "struggle" and still lead the Bills to 32 points against the Super Bowl champs should be cause for celebration. New QB, new tight end, new running back, new fullback, two new starters on the offensive line, new offensive coordinator... and still 32 points against perhaps the best team we'll play all year. Not terrible in the grand scheme of things.

This is his first season as a starting QB. Our offensive line didn't help him out. Our running game didn't help him out, and our defense didn't help him out. For the love of god, can we let a QB finish a full season before we say what he can or can't do? Maybe Tyrod isn't the answer. Maybe he is. I won't judge until I see him for a full season. And if he gets yanked for Cassel or for Manuel AGAIN, this will set our team back more years. Stick with the dam QB whether he's struggling or not.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

Tyrod is the best QB on the team. it's why he starts. he has potential and played behind a sub par O-line. They suck. The center and tackles in particular.

here's a stat he excelled in today: ZERO dirt balls.

How many dirt balls did brady throw? Sometimes a dirt ball... although i know what you meant... helps avoid sacks

Tyrod is the best QB on the team. it's why he starts. he has potential and played behind a sub par O-line. They suck. The center and tackles in particular.

here's a stat he excelled in today: ZERO dirt balls.

How many dirt balls did brady throw? Sometimes a dirt ball... although i know what you meant... helps avoid sacks

Taylor was confused by THE MASTER defensive genius and it was only his second NFL start. He did some good things and some bad things. I wouldn't give up on him this early based on that performance, but I think that he is being given too much credit for bringing them back when the were down 24 points in the second half. He got "hot" when NE started playing softer defense to preserve a comfortable lead. Kudos that he was able to take advantage of the soft defense, but an NFL QB should be able to do that.