Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

Is that really enough to consider them a good team? Contend for a playoff spot if we make a few moves? By which I assume you mean signing Stamkos.....

In a league where so many teams make the playoffs? When I see them I see the potential there but why is everyone expecting it to take so long? They should expect to be in the playoffs next year and make it easily or they are not properly setting their goals.

I do expect them to be in the playoffs next season, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Stuff happens during a season and they have been cellar dwellers for the past few seasons. This was a total rebuild just two seasons ago, not simply filling some holes. I don't think it's unreasonable for it to take 3 years to be playoff contenders?

And I was not referring to Stamkos. I would rather trade some picks for good players on salary strapped teams such as Colorado...

Edited by ricojes

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Casey Nelson was signed as a free agent from the college ranks. It's still very early but on first sight the pro game isn't too big for him. Are there other college free agent prospects who could be signed this year? I saw this article on the SI site mentioning Jimey Vesey out of Harvard. The article indicated that he is a serious Hobey Baker award prospect.

He has a brother who was drafted by Toronto and his father works as a scout for the Maple Leafs. The Predators made a big push to sign him but were rebuffed by Vesey. The article mentioned that Buffalo, among many other teams, are good candidates to sign him.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/03/29/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey-snubs-nashville-predators

@BuffaloSabres

New-look lines with Kane out. #BUFvsPIT

Cev_sSrW4AEoH7j.jpg

Casey Nelson was signed as a free agent from the college ranks. It's still very early but on first sight the pro game isn't too big for him. Are there other college free agent prospects who could be signed this year? I saw this article on the SI site mentioning Jimey Vesey out of Harvard. The article indicated that he is a serious Hobey Baker award prospect.

He has a brother who was drafted by Toronto and his father works as a scout for the Maple Leafs. The Predators made a big push to sign him but were rebuffed by Vesey. The article mentioned that Buffalo, among many other teams, are good candidates to sign him.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/03/29/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey-snubs-nashville-predators

The expectation is that he'll sign with the Leafs or Bruins.

@BuffaloSabres

New-look lines with Kane out. #BUFvsPIT

Cev_sSrW4AEoH7j.jpg

The expectation is that he'll sign with the Leafs or Bruins.

I suspected that those teams would be enticing for him. However, the prospect for him of playing on the same line as Eichel and Reinhart would have to have some appeal to him.

Edited by JohnC

I suspected that those teams would be enticing for him. However, the prospect for him of playing on the same line as Eichel and Reinhart would have to have some appeal to him.

His dad works for the Leafs while his brother has been drafted by them. Tampering?

@BuffaloSabres

Tough period, we'll have to bounce back in the 3rd. #BUFvsPIT

CewcLr1WwAAhVIr.jpg

oh my...just finished the 2nd. Total domination again tonight. These two games are as bad as they have looked in a bit.

BTW, said as soon as Dunleavy said.."Sabres have weathered the storm,game has settled down" ...told my son jinx,jinx,jinx...he needs to to learn for next year when it matters

His dad works for the Leafs while his brother has been drafted by them. Tampering?

Not really. It is rare where a prospect in any sport is in a position to choose where he wants to go to. He is exercising that right. He is simply taking advantage of a quirk in the system.

Toronto is obviously in a rebuild mode as were the Sabres. We started the process a couple of years ago while they started it on a full blast mode this season. What they have done smartly is get rid of their big contracts such as Kessel to the Penguins last year and put them in a good cap situation so they can start bringing in the young players in their system.

I get the sense that Toronto, as is Buffalo, is committed to their rebuilding plan. One way of accelerating the process is by acquiring talented college free agents. Although it isn't wise to jump to a conclusion on a young player we took advantage of the system by signing Casey Nelson.

I think the Sabres will go deep into the playoffs next season. The Sabres are finishing strong. They have a great young core. Fashing and Nelson look promising. We have cap room and might end up in the lottery. And we have plenty of picks to either parlay into top 6 or a defenseman, or we could stockpile Rochester. I am interested in seeing what Murray does this offseason. He is a wheeler-dealer. The future is bright

Seriously? The Sabres are a young and "up and coming" team, but nothing I see right now leads me to believe that you can expect a long play-off run next year. Anything is possible, but I just don't see that as being a realistic view.

As Friedman said in 30 thoughts, tough to prove it here...but lets see what the 2nd contract looks like. He had some interesting takes this week on how some of these deals are shaping up relative to the expansion draft. I like seeing Fashing play as much as the next guy, but going to the AHL on an ATO would have prolly been best for the team...now he will most likely need to be protected in the draft.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-adam-oates-responds-critics/

BTW, i always think that may be the best weekly column in all of sports

This is ugly!

@CBSSportsNHL

WATCH: Blackhawks' Duncan Keith ejected for high-sticking, intent to injure. http://cbsprt.co/1okOajL

Cewe2o7WQAAMG65.jpg

That should be a lengthy suspension, just an idiotic and dangerous thing to do....If were my call, it would be the rest of the year including playoffs. But for the NHL, it may be 5 games...He is currently suspended until the league reviews the play.

Edited by ricojes

That should be a lengthy suspension, just an idiotic and dangerous thing to do....If were my call, it would be the rest of the year including playoffs. But for the NHL, it may be 5 games...He is currently suspended until the league reviews the play.

I think the Hawks have 5 games left in the reg season, so that's probably what it will be.

Absolutely. Nothing major wound up happening, but that's the exact type of play that cannot happen in hockey. He needs to be hit hard for it. He's already got a suspension history, so they may be able to hit him a little harder. I don't remember it specifically, but apparently he was already suspended in the past for a stick swing to Jeff Carter's face in the playoffs. He could be in serious trouble given that.