The Vikings Have Been Sold!

Viiiiilma51

Just saw on the ESPN ticker that an agreement in principal has been made to sell the Vikings. Didn't catch the guy's name but apparently he will be the first African-American owner.

Did anyone else hear about this?

Could affect the Jets chances of acquiring Randy Moss! ;)

When I saw it on the bottomline on ESPN, I thought for a second that Bidwell might've sold the Cardinals since the guy buying the team was from Arizona. Too bad I was wrong about that, he's by far the worst owner in professional football and maybe in all of professional sports. Though it is tough to be ol' Dollar Bill with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Good for the NFL!  Now move that team to LA and stop all the ridiculous "Buffalo could move to LA" crap!

238097[/snapback]

I rather they stay in Minneapolis. I don't want to throw another small market's fans under the bus. Besides, even with the Vikings in LA, there will be relocation options for the Bills. San Antonio, (Minneapolis if the team moves), Memphis, Portland, Toronto, Sacramento and who knows where else. The key for the Bills longevity is the continued support and solid ownership. Having a team in LA beforehand will only marginally help their chances to remain in upstate NY.

Seeing the Vikings move is as bad as the Bills moving. I feel for their fans. They shouldn't play anywhere else but in Minnesota!!

I think those Moss rumors will die down some. I don't think the new owner will do anything stupid that will cost him revenue.

I rather they stay in Minneapolis. I don't want to throw another small market's fans under the bus.

238148[/snapback]

The Twin Cities are one of a very few metropolitan areas with teams in all four major sports, and you call them a "small market"? ;)

At the end of the article there is this quote:

"Taylor has broadly suggested in recent days that Fowler and his partners might have a difficult time garnering league approval of the sale."

Who is Taylor? The article doesn't even give a first name that I could find. I hate it when these idiot writers assume readers know something they might have no reason to know.

At the end of the article there is this quote:

"Taylor has broadly suggested in recent days that Fowler and his partners might have a difficult time garnering league approval of the sale."

Who is Taylor?  The article doesn't even give a first name that I could find.  I hate it when these idiot writers assume readers know something they might have no reason to know.

238237[/snapback]

from the same article....;):blink:

McCombs has been attempting to sell the team for two seasons and, while he had some suitors in the past, steadfastly held out for a price of at least $600 million. One of those past suitors, Glen Taylor, owner of the NBA's Minnesota Timberwolves, acknowledged this week that he recently forwarded McCombs a formal offer in which the purchase price would have escalated if the Vikings succeeded in landing a new stadium.

The deal isn't going to go through. The guy's "only" worth $400 million. The news here is thinking that the NFL will reject the offer, but it will be difficult because he's the first minority who has a shot at owning an NFL team (ie: they don't want to ruffle feathers). The guy just doesn't have enough wealth to own a team though.

Glen Tayler (owns the T'Wolves) will probably be the eventual new owner IMHO.

Also, the Twin Cities is hardly a small market. Hennepin county alone consists of over 1.1 million people. Throw in Ramsey county and you're looking at around 2 million. Overall, the metro area has 2.7 million people in '02, according to this:

http://www.metrocouncil.org/about/facts/Tw...lationFacts.pdf

CW

The Twin Cities are one of a very few metropolitan areas with teams in all four major sports, and you call them a "small market"?  ;)

238183[/snapback]

I don't think that having four team proves that a city is not a small market, but you are right that the 13th to 14th ranked media market is not small market. I just assumed it was based on the contraction discussion. I stand corrected. Let me rephrase it as I don't like the idea of throwing another teams fans under the bus large or small.

I don't think that having four team proves that a city is not a small market, but you are right that the 13th to 14th ranked media market is not small market.  I just assumed it was based on the contraction discussion. I stand corrected. Let me rephrase it as I don't like the idea of throwing another teams fans under the bus large or small.

238493[/snapback]

Most of the fans here are so fair weathered that it would serve them right. While at the U of M, I saw more people wearing Bills stuff than I did Vikings. There's just no heart and passion here. Part of that probably has to do with the crappy stadium arrangement; no place to tailgate (unless you're willing to spend something like $30 to part by the Dome).

The only thing I'd miss is the ability to see the Bills when they come to town.

CW

The craptacular Metrodome is really the Vikings problem. If they do build a new stadium, they should make sure it's either an outdoor or a retractable roof stadium, the home field advantage that the weather up there would give them would be right up there with us, Green Bay and New England.