Job Search Tips

/dev/null

LinkedIn and Indeed are my two favorite.

Buzzwords depend on what you are looking to do. I hired a resume service. Cost me 90 bucks but they improved my resume big time. Got it 2 days later and they gave me tips about buzzwords and how to search ect.

The best advice I can offer is get your resume out to everyone. I had 70 applications out before I got 3 interviews. It takes time and a lot of effort.

you don't search for jobs...you wait for jobs to come to you. I just accepted a temp contract job two days ago...today I got invitations to apply for three full time positions, two in Chicago and the other in San Diego...LOL...WTF, 6 months with nothing, now a feast.

I started my new job mid june, I had a ton of calls for jobs, contract mostly, and not in my specified location, but I bet I still get 3-4 calls a week, at least one of them local and legit. I know it's a numbers game for these recruiters, but it's a nice ego stroke to be able to ignore so many prospects, especially at the ripe old age of 52

you don't search for jobs...you wait for jobs to come to you. I just accepted a temp contract job two days ago...today I got invitations to apply for three full time positions, two in Chicago and the other in San Diego...LOL...WTF, 6 months with nothing, now a feast.

LinkedIn and Indeed are my two favorite.

Buzzwords depend on what you are looking to do. I hired a resume service. Cost me 90 bucks but they improved my resume big time. Got it 2 days later and they gave me tips about buzzwords and how to search ect.

The best advice I can offer is get your resume out to everyone. I had 70 applications out before I got 3 interviews. It takes time and a lot of effort.

Yes, yes, yes. Exactly.

Another tip: Tailor your resume to the job for which you're applying if possible/necessary.

One more: Keep a spreadsheet to make it easy to know which companies you've applied to, and for what position. Like Hindsight, at one time, I had 70 applications out at one time (over 9 nine different states). I got caught with my pants down once because I took an unannounced call and I had no idea who the company was or the position I applied for was.

Once you apply, do research and put comments in the spreadsheet so you're armed with some company knowledge at the drop of a hat.

I started my new job mid june, I had a ton of calls for jobs, contract mostly, and not in my specified location, but I bet I still get 3-4 calls a week, at least one of them local and legit. I know it's a numbers game for these recruiters, but it's a nice ego stroke to be able to ignore so many prospects, especially at the ripe old age of 52

No ****...I got kicked to the curb at 55 after 24 years, the last 6 months were depressing, those positions in Chicago were ones that I was scheduled to interview for back in July. They disappeared due to a reorg, now they are back and the hiring manager hopes that I'll apply for them...what the hell? Why not...full time, relo, twice the pay I'll get in the contract position...who am I to say no? Here I thought I was "washed up"....

Good luck. Moving is a pretty stressful event, but 5+ years in Philly and I couldn't be happier I made the move. You can do worse than Chicago.

No ****...I got kicked to the curb at 55 after 24 years, the last 6 months were depressing, those positions in Chicago were ones that I was scheduled to interview for back in July. They disappeared due to a reorg, now they are back and the hiring manager hopes that I'll apply for them...what the hell? Why not...full time, relo, twice the pay I'll get in the contract position...who am I to say no? Here I thought I was "washed up"....

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Yes, yes, yes. Exactly.

Another tip: Tailor your resume to the job for which you're applying if possible/necessary.

One more: Keep a spreadsheet to make it easy to know which companies you've applied to, and for what position. Like Hindsight, at one time, I had 70 applications out at one time (over 9 nine different states). I got caught with my pants down once because I took an unannounced call and I had no idea who the company was or the position I applied for was.

Once you apply, do research and put comments in the spreadsheet so you're armed with some company knowledge at the drop of a hat.

Good points. Also, if you're working with a placement agency, make sure you do not send a resume to a company in which they may be applying on your behalf. A buddy of mine did it at the bank in which I work and it went over like a led balloon, actually make a bad impression of him as well as the placement agency.

I got a new boss at work and I'm thinking it's not going to be a productive or enjoyable environment.

Anyone got tips on the search for a new employer? Are any of the job sites worth it? Any buzzwords I should avoid or emphasize on the rezoomay?

just start looking. LinkedIn is a good place to start. You can search for jobs posted there. You can also get a lot of looks w/o paying for Premium service.

Monster.com, CareerBuilder et el are all the same - they suck. I can search daily and get different results by changing a search word.

Their daily job notifications are redundant and you often spend more time reviewing the same "new" job you applied for 3 months prior.

Look for companies you are interested in and get on their mailing list for jobs that match your profile. That way you reduce the "junk" notifications.

Good Luck

Another redundant place that gets all listings is Beyond.com | The Career Network

Yes, yes, yes. Exactly.

Also good tips. I had 5 different versions of my resume. My spreadsheet named the company, job title, brief description, contact name, date applied and if I had received a response or not.

Makes a big difference if you have the spreadsheet. When the jobs called, I knew the exact date I applied, who I had spoken to, and the job description in the initial conversation. Really impressed people when I asked after the fact. Including at my current job

Another thought. Although I am not a big fan of the phrase - think outside of your current box. For example, currently I am a supplier manager in a manufacturing business. Who else could use my skill set? Hospitals, school systems, public sector, charities, ...

** Hope I did not put the whammy on myself. **