Job Search Tips

/dev/null

Linkedin is an excellent resource, find companies you think would have opportunities, find recruiters on Linkedin and connect with them. Monster and Career Builder are good, but you will have to wade through a lot of BS to get the real jobs. What are you looking for?

I got a new boss at work and I'm thinking it's not going to be a productive or enjoyable environment.

Anyone got tips on the search for a new employer? Are any of the job sites worth it? Any buzzwords I should avoid or emphasize on the rezoomay?

You should do what the most of America does: get fired and take your 99 weeks of unemployment...then claim poverty and get free food and a cellphone.

I think it's actually about 35% ... which is still too high.

I laughed during the eagles game the other night, they said that Sam Bradford hadn't played in 99 weeks and 1 day, and immediately in my head i thought, "Yikes, his unemployment must have run out"

You should do what the most of America does: get fired and take your 99 weeks of unemployment...then claim poverty and get free food and a cellphone.

Alright, soooo I have been thru this 6 times in 10 years due to jobs closing, selling out, etc.

Indeed.com is your best bet.

Also, google your job title. If you are a data analyst, admin assistant, etc, Google that term in "'s. Google that plus "keywords" and "resume."

Becky, an ex of mine, is in charge of head hunting and usually just sticks to finding resumes already sent in prior to looking outside of the applicants. The job process is simple and they upgraded their systems and as such, in her corporate HR position for a large bank she simply types in the position. Thru an algorithm

she is then presented proper applicants based on keywords and phrases.

For example, a loan administrator position would prefer certain keywords like "capital investments," "audit reporting" and "credit research." The actual # of resumes being looked at by employers is few and far between. Employers seldom look at resumes directly anymore. Keywords are HUGE!

It also helps if you can find the direct contact to the company. I have used this method several times. Lets say I want to work for "Celino and Barnes" as one of their commercial jingle singers. I would call the office up and say that the email provided on the website was not working and ask if there was a direct email to the person in charge of recruiting. That the website was not letting me click on the email. This could get you in a direct conversation with the employer, too. Either way, I usually end up with their email address which goes right to the employer without the special headers and such that come directed thru a 3rd party.

Try this....

I've never seen that movie, don't know much about it. I guess I'll put it on cue.

Edited by Boyst62

One suggestion is to data mine. Check with your local "Business First" newspapers. They publish many lists during the year of the Law firms, Tax firms, landscaping companies, etc.

Get involved in something - local food bank for example. Many companies have employees volunteer some time there and would be a possible network connection.

I've never seen that movie, don't know much about it. I guess I'll put it on cue.

It's a great movie but it's not so much about his job. More of a guy who goes through a mid life crisis and finds himself. It and Spacey won an Oscar as it was a great, great film.

Edited by The Jokeman