Pats All 22 - warning: filled with excuses

dave mcbride

There basically isn't any way to effectively cover it without having a penalty called on you. The best we can do is hope our guys communicate and hand off receivers, but if they breath on a Pats player during that process, PI will be called.

Curious, I don't know x's and o's as good as most people here but is there anything like a zone/man combination.

What I mean by that is you start by playing zone say within the first 5-10 yards and then pick up a receiver in man coverage one they hit a certain space.

Curious, I don't know x's and o's as good as most people here but is there anything like a zone/man combination.

What I mean by that is you start by playing zone say within the first 5-10 yards and then pick up a receiver in man coverage one they hit a certain space.

I've seen it, but I don't know what it's called :D

I figure anything zone, Brady will pick apart, though. But I'm notoriously cynical.

I've seen it, but I don't know what it's called :D

I figure anything zone, Brady will pick apart, though. But I'm notoriously cynical.

I know you can run man on the outside and zone in the middle of the field to counter things like picks but if both receivers run to the middle you need to hope the guy on the outside doesn't drop coverage and then there are two receivers with 1 cb in the middle.

From what I understand, zone/man combos are generally inside/outside combinations as opposed to front/back. That doesn't mean they don't exist; they simply aren't as common.

I think the best approach is to use Manny Lawson over Gronk. Lawson has the size to prevent Gronk from getting an easy release, and enough speed to keep up with him the initial portion of his route. You still need to bracket him with a safety over the top, since Gronk is a beast in contested ball scenarios, so I'd want Rambo (or Graham if he's healthy) to be the 2nd defender assigned to him.

That leaves man match-ups everywhere else: Darby on Edelman, Gilmore on the boundary, and Robey in the slot (in 3-WR sets). The difficult part becomes when NE**** goes to 2-TE sets, because then you're looking at either another LB in coverage (Brown or Bradham) against Chandler, or walking your only deep safety (Aaron Wiliams) down into coverage, so no help over the top.

This is where the chess match begins. Buffalo could opt to play only 3 down lineman when NE goes to twin-TE sets, getting an extra S on the field and hoping that the LBs can play downhill well enough to stop the run, or they could go the opposite direction and spread Mario and Hughes out to edge LB sets (replacing Lawson with Carrington or Bryant) and let them bang the TEs off the line.

IMO, the plan to contest the Patriots**** 2-TE set is the key to this game plan.