1 target for Watkins

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. To top it off I'll take Sammy having zero receptions all year if it means 16-0!

Vontae is one of the best corners in the league. Right up there with Sherman and Revis. I'm not too concerned that they game planned away from him and let other guys make plays. They could have kept trying to throw in his direction like Luck did vs. Gilmore only to get pass after pass batted down and two completions slipped in.

Or, of course, maybe the guy finishes the day with 6 catches 150 yards and 2 tds.

Not throwing to him doesn't mean that if they did it would be epic failure.

But as ktd said, the offense worked. And as I said, just about every week 1 of clay, Percy, McCoy, or sammy is likely to come up short on targets.

Wasn't even sure he was active for some time. Woods didn't see the ball much either.

I'd venture woods touches over the long haul, and his personality, might grow into a bigger concern. There are plays he might be the 5th most talented option (heck, maybe 6th if tyrod counts and keeps growing) on the field which is going to be new to him

But it's really early and next week could be a heavy dose of him too.

Was it? I couldn't tell from the flow of the game, I kind of got lost in it, but looking back I'm not sure how efficient they were? Didn't seem like we were rolling up first downs as much as I wanted but maybe I just missed it somehow.

We were getting killed by penalties. But we were in control of the game as far as I was concerned as soon as we scored the first TD. My feeling all along was we have five highly skilled players at the skill positions. The QBs job in this offense is to find the best mismatch. The Colts happen to have one great CB and chose to have him shadow Watkins the entire game. Sammy was joking about it after, saying he knows I beat him a few times. Then made a great point about how we had two RBs who scored TDs and neither of them were Shady.

Taylor always looked in control. I have no problem at all taking both Sammy and Davis out of the game and trying to beat them 10-10.

Yep. To top it off I'll take Sammy having zero receptions all year if it means 16-0!

Vontae is one of the best corners in the league. Right up there with Sherman and Revis. I'm not too concerned that they game planned away from him and let other guys make plays. They could have kept trying to throw in his direction like Luck did vs. Gilmore only to get pass after pass batted down and two completions slipped in.

Watkins was destroying Davis all game. Just didn't look his way

Well, Belichick likes to shut down his opponents #1 receiver so it might not be Samy's game next week either.

But whoever he chooses to shut down, there will be plenty of other playmakers to give it to

The difference is he doesn't have a corner who can do what Davis did today. Butler is solid, and did really well against AB for most of the game, but he's not at that level yet.

We have too many good players. Get used to one star on this team having a nonexistent week.

Yep.

The cool part is, unlike other teams, I think Rex has set the "team" tone from day 1. In the postgame: Rex said he talked to Sammy and asked him about his lack of targets, and Sammy said something to the effect of "I don't care coach, we won".

Great game by our team and happy with the win. With that said as an OC you should go into a game trying to get the ball into the hands of your best players, regardless of matchup. Watkins was used as a decoy and garded by Davis the whole game, but its simply unacceptable to not even look his way.

There is no "I" in Team but evidently there is an "I" in fan percept"I"ons?

McCoy, Harvin, Clay, Wood - aren't those some of our best players? Take what the opponent gives you. Sammy had a chance at a great bomb for a sure TD that was just slightly overthrown. Let him have a chance to tune up with Tyrod, they'll have their day.

Yep.

The cool part is, unlike other teams, I think Rex has set the "team" tone from day 1. In the postgame: Rex said he talked to Sammy and asked him about his lack of targets, and Sammy said something to the effect of "I don't care coach, we won".

Yep. Watkins said a great thing after the game. That two RBs scored TDs today and neither of them were Shady McCoy, we are a team. A perfect thing to say.

the opportunity has to present itself when your up with a good lead you don't force things thats how the other teams gets back in it. 16 games he'll be fine- this board is not used to winning don't know what to do.

One might argue the "not used to winning" manifests stronger in the "we won, you can't discuss any question marks" crowd. How the team addresses those questions are how you go from a nice start to a good (or in years past bad) season.

Go on a winning teams board- and you'll think they are ungrateful but the fans pick up on the weaknesses and soft spots and often discuss them without "lalalala we won lalala"

Nothing wrong with folks coming and asking about spots they think can improve. Getting Sammy more involved is a good example - and I expect the coaches to be looking at this very topic in the next day or two even if many here don't want to.