Last Ditch Meeting To Save Hockey Season

millbank

The NHL and NHL Players' Association secretly met with U.S. Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service in Washington on Sunday.

Sources indicated the meeting was still going on as of 6 pm et.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow were not in the meeting. Bill Daly, the NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, and league outside counsel Bob Batterman were there with NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin and union outside counsel John McCambridge.

Meeting

The NHL and NHL Players' Association secretly met with U.S. Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service in Washington on Sunday.

Sources indicated the meeting was still going on as of 6 pm et.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow were not in the meeting. Bill Daly, the NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, and league outside counsel Bob Batterman were there with NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin and union outside counsel John McCambridge.

Meeting

237834[/snapback]

It'd be a helluva 'season' if they salvaged it tonight.

Bleh. No one cares and the season is already ruined. Nice job, guys.

The session was bugged--here is what I picked up...

Arbitor: So do you think we can come to agreement on this?

Union Rep: No way

Owner Rep: Not a chance

Arbitor: Okay, hey Phil tell Harvey he has to stop at the Chinese place and the Pizza Place to bring in Dinner...each side wants different things...

one question...if by some freak occurance they actually do come to an agreement, what are we looking at...the way i see it, we are gonna end up with a 15-20 game regular season, then the playoffs if thats the road they decide to take...woohoo, 15 games :rolleyes:

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: nhlpa

one question...if by some freak occurance they actually do come to an agreement, what are we looking at...the way i see it, we are gonna end up with a 15-20 game regular season, then the playoffs if thats the road they decide to take...woohoo, 15 games  :rolleyes:

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: nhlpa

237979[/snapback]

Well, most people only care about the last 15-20 games plus the playoffs anyway, and I can think of at least a couple of years when the Sabres only decided to show up for the last 15-20 games, so maybe this is a good thing.

Yawn...I'm going to hibernate...wake me up for any exciting FA moves, Draft weekend, the minicamps and I'll stay up once the preseason starts.

Hopefully a year from now we'll be talking about a much improved NHL!

Fuggin strikes!

At this point, the way bozo Bettman and jerkoff Goodenow have run this sport into the ground, screw this league until BOTH of them are canned...they have failed MISERABLY....what disgrases....

You know what Buffalo natives and Sabres fans: Maybe this is best, let them get what they want, lets be honest already, most punks in the media dont like going to Buffalo in the winter already, they are all a bunch of babies. Let the Sabres get contracted, and let then enjoy watching teams in desert type conditions in non-hockey markets serving $u$hi at the games. Nice job NHL, keep it up you morons.

Get an Amerks type team in Buffalo, THEN youll see good hockey, at a MUCH lower cost, and watch players play with HEART AND PASSION and not for $$$$$$$$$$$$$ instead of watching trap-filled hockey with a bunch of greedy owners and babies for players who complain about feeding ther dog like pretty boy Modano did!!!

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: NHL and the Players!!!!!!!!!

I believe both sides are at fault. Yet, before people base judgement they should watch what hockey was all about in the early days... When the players truly loved the game and would do anything to play it at the NHL level. Maybe this explains why the NHLPA is so hell bent on this fight? Why the trust isn't there?

History shows the struggle between the two sides:

NetWorth

The bloodiest fight in NHL history wasn't on the ice. Based on a true story, Net Worth blows the lid off the image of the golden era of the National Hockey League, to reveal the bloody battles and hard knocks dealt to the players off the ice. It's the story of ruthless men who would destroy careers in order to hide the millions they were making from the sweat and toil of others and more than anything else, taking advantage of the players' love of the game. In this larger than life David and Goliath conflict, Ted Lindsay, Detroit Red Wings captain, takes on the powerbrokers of the NHL.