Patriot Picks

billsfan_34

I didnt see anyone else talking about this so I thought this warranted a thread and it is something we have to look out for. On two seperate occasions last night I saw receivers run crossing routes, one being slightly deeper than the other. At the same exact time another receiver/tight end would get in the middle and set pick. On one particular play the guy setting the pick actually stopped and crossed his arms right in front of the officials while stopping the coverage guy. Did anyone else see this? If we want to stop these guys then we better be ready to combat this.

Edited by billsfan_34

As long as the offensive player doesn't initiate contact, it's perfectly legal to run picks. Sometimes it comes down to a judgement call by the referee, but New England and Denver ran pick plays more than any other team last year.

As long as the offensive player doesn't initiate contact, it's perfectly legal to run picks. Sometimes it comes down to a judgement call by the referee, but New England and Denver ran pick plays more than any other team last year.

I did not know that thanks. Probably why he crossed his arms as to not make contact.

Expect it from the Jets. Chan Gailey was the driving force behind the popularity of pick plays when he was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. The Wall Street Journal even ran a piece crediting him with it. When he has here pick plays were innovative. Now they are cheating.

Expect it from the Jets. Chan Gailey was the driving force behind the popularity of pick plays when he was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. The Wall Street Journal even ran a piece crediting him with it. When he has here pick plays were innovative. Now they are cheating.

There are strict rules about running the defender off.

Its a tough call for the Officials. I thinks they call it after an offense pushes the envelope enough times more than the details of the action.

Good reason for any team to abuse it till called out.

Thing about them is defensive players coming across, focused on their assignment can get blown up badly if the O guy wants to hurt him. I hate the stuff, Its not like basketball where picks are really needed to redirect. You can always say " head on a swivel" but pick plays can be nasty

Ps PP Chan used it as it should be. Some teams take advantage and use it to the point of Abusing. and creaming a nickle corner or safetey

Edited by 3rdand12

I say you have the defender run right into the player and draw a flag.

They can't do that though or else it is called either "illegal contact" or "pass interference". That is the problem with pick plays. There is nothing to stop an offensive player from just standing in the way of a defender trying to run to defend a pass route.

To stop it, they would have to make some kind of rule about receivers not being allowed to cross routes within five or ten yards of one another once past the line of scrimmage. Something like that might work because it would only allow receivers to cross paths if there was enough separation between them.

There is always a defense for it. If you suspect a pick have the DBs switch off on the fly.

How are you going to know the pick before it happens?

You don't know what route the receiver is going to run. And you certainly don't know what route the other receiver is going to run in order to create the pick. A DB might guess what route the guy is going to run, but until the receiver takes off running, the DB doesn't really know for sure.

If you try to anticipate picks, you will very likely end up leaving receivers wide open. You might get it right one time. The next time the offense will adjust and burn you by changing a route.

I suppose it also depends heavily on what defense you are playing and what type of coverage you are playing.

How are you going to know the pick before it happens?

You don't know what route the receiver is going to run. And you certainly don't know what route the other receiver is going to run in order to create the pick. A DB might guess what route the guy is going to run, but until the receiver takes off running, the DB doesn't really know for sure.

If you try to anticipate picks, you will very likely end up leaving receivers wide open. You might get it right one time. The next time the offense will adjust and burn you by changing a route.

I suppose it also depends heavily on what defense you are playing and what type of coverage you are playing.

Picks are nasty little f'rs.

absolutely gotta defend them. that five yard press coverage helps. but that call has to be made quickly and the safeties need to see it happening.

You just cant underrate the intelligence of the deep safety and his ability to see the field at that speed ! Corey Graham!! should excel at dissecting this stuff, and A Williams is improving. But i like him closer to the snap since Graham has been moved !!!

I didnt see anyone else talking about this so I thought this warranted a thread and it is something we have to look out for. On two seperate occasions last night I saw receivers run crossing routes, one being slightly deeper than the other. At the same exact time another receiver/tight end would get in the middle and set pick. On one particular play the guy setting the pick actually stopped and crossed his arms right in front of the officials while stopping the coverage guy. Did anyone else see this? If we want to stop these guys then we better be ready to combat this.

They have been doing this and getting away with it for years. If you watch their routes they will often get off their straight line route and deliberately run into the defender. When they do that, it is illegal and the never get called for it. It's infuriating and you can bet we'll see it next week.

The first one looked like an obvious pick I would expect to be called. The second looked like a very well disguised legit play, I wouldn't expect to get called.