Ground and pound? Maybe not...

YoloinOhio

Ground and pound went out the window when they acquired Harvin and secured Clay, which was going to make it impossible for defenses to cover these skill guys one on one if they loaded the box. It flew the entire coop when TT and the rest of the QBs looked capable of throwing the ball. We will still run a lot of course, but Roman is going to be a mad scientist with all these toys.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, if you mean Sammy will be smoking some poor Colts defender on a screen.

Smokescreen...haha, nice!

An offensive strategy minimizing Harvin, Watkins, Clay and woods touches, is likely not a good one.

I expect a heavy dose of 11 which puts your best guys on the field.

Yes, here's hoping Roman out-Gaileys Gailey.

All Roman showed in the preseason was his 49er offense. Nothing new for other teams to look at.

People have been wondering why we're keeping 7 WRs?

To be fair, we are keeping one, Easley for ST, and another, Thigpen, for KR/PR. There are five WR on this team. It's possible that because of game day injury or active list that Easley and/or Thigpen will play WR, but if they didn't do what they do on ST so very well, they would not be on the roster.

To be fair, we are keeping one, Easley for ST, and another, Thigpen, for KR/PR. There are five WR on this team. It's possible that because of game day injury or active list that Easley and/or Thigpen will play WR, but if they didn't do what they do on ST so very well, they would not be on the roster.

No doubt.

Roman developed the ground and pound conservative simple scheme when he first got to San Fran due to having a very good offensive line with 3 former first round picks and 2 other solid pieces on it, a good defense, a good running back in Gore, and a QB in Alex Smith who could manage a game efficiently but was limited as a playmaker and didn't have the best weapons. Roman also opened up the offense when Kap came in, they increased their down field throwing and threw in more read option plays.

Rex developed the ground and pound his first few seasons in New York due to having a very good offensive line (Two studs in Mangold and Fergueson and two very good veterans in Faneca and Woody), a rookie/young QB in Sanchez, a limited amount of skill positions, and a very good running back in Thomas Jones, and a very good defense that could keep the Jets in almost any game esp if the offense wasn't turning the ball over.

Good coaches build to the strengths of the talent they have. The 49ers and Jets did just that. The Bills aren't built the same way. Yes the Bills have a very good defense and solid special teams, but offensively they have much better skill position players and a great playmaker out of the backfield who can work in a variety of ways. The Bills O-line while improved isn't the juggernaut the 49ers were and the Jets were at times.

So while I expect the Bills to work the running game and be conservative at times, I do think that there will be a more wide open approach to the offense at times.

Ground and pound went out the window when they acquired Harvin and secured Clay, which was going to make it impossible for defenses to cover these skill guys one on one if they loaded the box. It flew the entire coop when TT and the rest of the QBs looked capable of throwing the ball. We will still run a lot of course, but Roman is going to be a mad scientist with all these toys.

Haha; exactly what I was going to say. As soon as they discovered that the QBs are good, it's a new offense.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ran a spread offense with a ton of read option.

Haha; exactly what I was going to say. As soon as they discovered that the QBs are good, it's a new offense.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ran a spread offense with a ton of read option.

It's going to be difficult to decide what to run, and especially difficult to keep Watkins, Woods, Harvin, and Clay happy with their touches. But I still think that Roman is going to use the three TE a decent amount, and surely use Felton a decent amount, and use Harvin as a gadget guy in addition to an outside guy. The real keys are the amount of first downs we get which will be three more plays to keep these guys happy with plays going to them, and the many different kinds of looks that Roman is going to utilize in a single game that will likely make it a nightmare for defenses to game plan for us. That's why Clay is going to be one of our MVPs regardless of his stats.

I expect it's all going to be about creating space and getting the ball to guys where they can make something happen. I don't really think we have the personnel for a "ground and pound" as Shady isn't that type of back and you'd prefer to have a QB with a big arm to stretch the field vertically. Lots of quick stuff to mitigate Taylor's accuracy making pre-snap reads crucial.

nope, that was Chan

: )

these guys are going to use packaged plays , same players with multiple play calls from that formation to beat the defense's 11.

Roman is a genius. look for the 12 personnel groupings. it puts one more player on the field than the defense has.

dont be too surprised to see the field stretched with TT or EJM Chuck!

But they do have a team that's strength might be the yards after the catch. Or lateral or pitch or reverse or statue of liberty or the snap to the halfback or..... omigosh cant wait till sunday

Go Bills

conjuring as we speak.

I would love for them to grind between the tackles and move the line at will with a stacked box. That's my kinda football!! Boring? maybe.But miss olde school mentality of beat your man.

and its scheduled for thunderstorms Sunday.

Ralph still watches over us.

Let it pour

All Roman showed in the preseason was his 49er offense. Nothing new for other teams to look at.

People have been wondering why we're keeping 7 WRs?

very close to the vest. well done indeed.

You'll get at least one from Goodwin.

And then he'll be on IR the rest of the season.

so that's why 7.

Edited by 3rdand12

It's going to be difficult to decide what to run, and especially difficult to keep Watkins, Woods, Harvin, and Clay happy with their touches. But I still think that Roman is going to use the three TE a decent amount, and surely use Felton a decent amount, and use Harvin as a gadget guy in addition to an outside guy. The real keys are the amount of first downs we get which will be three more plays to keep these guys happy with plays going to them, and the many different kinds of looks that Roman is going to utilize in a single game that will likely make it a nightmare for defenses to game plan for us. That's why Clay is going to be one of our MVPs regardless of his stats.

There is going to be an odd man out for sure, unless there are injuries. I actually think Woods may end up being the disgruntled guy without a lot of touches, especially if he ends up playing mostly in the slot. How do you keep Clay off the field?

I do think it's worth mentioning that in Ault's original design of the Pistol it was a 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB formation.

Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Clay, Shady and Taylor all on the field at the same time? Yes please.

I get chills.

Any estimates of play total and breakdown?

I'll say 68 total plays with 36 rushes/ 32 passing attempts. I imagine it much more balanced than originally expected

I get chills.

Any estimates of play total and breakdown?

I'll say 68 total plays with 36 rushes/ 32 passing attempts. I imagine it much more balanced than originally expected

That still puts us as the highest percentage of runs for a season since Seattle in 2012, if extrapolated to 16 games.