Colts' D Line is Achilles Heel

Bocephuz

- After reading the article below I feel pretty good about our chances if we play the ground and pound ball control game on Sunday and keep the ball out of Luck's hands ( hopefully that's what Roman has in mind). Their linebackers are actually pretty decent and I believe they will be keying on the read option and focus on edge containment .. so I think Roman should old school with the fullback and we ram it downhill right down their throats.

- The only concern I have about the running game is the health of the RBs.. but even with that the worst case scenario is that Bryce Brown gets the bulk of carries .. and I'm ok with that. Sure he's a fumble risk.. but he has demonstrated that he's very capable of moving the chains and making plays.

- What does everyone else think? What is the weak point of the Colts? What should the offensive game plan be?

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/9/7/9273995/colts-taking-a-gamble-with-very-inexperienced-defensive-line-group

giphy.gif

- After reading the article below I feel pretty good about our chances if we play the ground and pound ball control game on Sunday and keep the ball out of Luck's hands ( hopefully that's what Roman has in mind). Their linebackers are actually pretty decent and I believe they will be keying on the read option and focus on edge containment .. so I think Roman should old school with the fullback and we ram it downhill right down their throats.

- The only concern I have about the running game is the health of the RBs.. but even with that the worst case scenario is that Bryce Brown gets the bulk of carries .. and I'm ok with that. Sure he's a fumble risk.. but he has demonstrated that he's very capable of moving the chains and making plays.

- What does everyone else think? What is the weak point of the Colts? What should the offensive game plan be?

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/9/7/9273995/colts-taking-a-gamble-with-very-inexperienced-defensive-line-group

giphy.gif

I agree that their DL is lousy, and that we should be planning to bring the run right at them. I also think the zone read will be a big component, as their edge defenders are almost exclusively pass rushers (save for Bjoern Werner), and I see them getting overly aggressive to stop the inside counter, which will give Taylor a lot of room to keep the ball and hit the edges for big chunks.

I also think that their offensive weakness is the OL, specifically the interior trio of Herremens, Holmes, and Louis. Kyle and Bryant should be able to win their matchups inside, and I wouldn't feel really confident in either Costanzo or Mewhort holding up against Hughes and Mario, respectively.

The Colts are one team where winning along the lines needs to be a given, since those are truly the weak points on each side of the ball.

Pure guesswork at this point as to whether the inexperience in combination with improved athleticism helps or hurts them. FWIW I think Roman will be far more balanced in his play calling than you both suggest. I think he will be very creative about how to use TT's mobility as an edge. I don't think TT has to run a lot - they just need to establish the threat of it.

Pure guesswork at this point as to whether the inexperience in combination with improved athleticism helps or hurts them. FWIW I think Roman will be far more balanced in his play calling than you both suggest. I think he will be very creative about how to use TT's mobility as an edge. I don't think TT has to run a lot - they just need to establish the threat of it.

I didn't suggest that they'll run far more than they pass. I merely believe that--given the matchup--they'll be able to take advantage of the Colts' defensive interior and hit them for big chunks in the run game. Whether they use that to set up the pass, or whether they use the quick passing-game to set up the run, is immaterial to me.

lol Rex

@viccarucci: Ryan on #Colts: "The strength of their team is Andrew Luck. Let's not say that the strength of their team is their defense. It's not."

LOL burrrrrn.

For real though, It's Luck with Hilton and Vontae Davis as support and no one else on that team scares me. Gore is going to be way worse behind that line and Johnson is past his prime.

I do worry Vontae Davis will be able to man up and take Watkins out of the game, freeing up the rest of the D to load the box. Clay in the seam could be huge for us this game to help with the vertical element.

So Robert Woods and Percy Harvin will have big games! Who is going to cover them? Greg Toler and Darius Butler?

Go ahead Colts and contain the edges....watch Sammy destroy the middle of the field and Clay burn the seams for at least 1 TD.

If Tyrod can get those passes off I'd feel better yet I worry because of his lack of height and experience we might not see a lot of the over the middle throws.

lol Rex

@viccarucci: Ryan on #Colts: "The strength of their team is Andrew Luck. Let's not say that the strength of their team is their defense. It's not."

After reading this I started to cringe at Rex's pregame jab, then realized, I better get used to that. New sheriff in town! LOL Edited by BillnutinHouston