TE Depth, rotations and even the kitchen sink

Aside from Charles Clay, I find the TE situation blurry. G Ro is undoubtedly going to implement multiple TE sets, using 12 and 22 personnel. My question, is who will be that 2nd guy in? Is it situational? Depth chart related?

My take would be that Clay is the Y. G Ro will utilize Mully when he wants double tight. Marquis Gray will play the H role, with Gragg being the number two guy in given a Clay injury or event he can't go.

Do you think they'll have specific, defined roles?

Or are they strictly interchangeable and will be utilized much like in a traditionsl depth chart?

Aside from Charles Clay, I find the TE situation blurry. G Ro is undoubtedly going to implement multiple TE sets, using 12 and 22 personnel. My question, is who will be that 2nd guy in? Is it situational? Depth chart related?

My take would be that Clay is the Y. G Ro will utilize Mully when he wants double tight. Marquis Gray will play the H role, with Gragg being the number two guy in given a Clay injury or event he can't go.

Do you think they'll have specific, defined roles?

Or are they strictly interchangeable and will be utilized much like in a traditionsl depth chart?

I'm guessing interchangeable. parts, I think Clay is similar to what the 49ers had in Delanie Walker and here's what Roman intended to do with his replacement http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Roman-Sees-McDonald-in-Multiple-Roles/2ec6babb-5f40-47c4-9ebf-d1dc5aa7f04aYet I think we'll pass more to Clay than Walker got and if things go well I'm thinking he'll get 4-60 catches with about 550 yards receiving and maybe 6 TDs, whereas Mulligan I think is our #2 in that he that will be more of a blocker first,ie next to Henderson at the end of the line blocking ie a more traditional TE.

I think Gray/Gragg will be H-backs and or guys that could be shifted around as well. As Roman seems to be a guy who seems to like to create mismatches with movement and early on think it's going to be a short move the chains offense with an occasional bomb to Watkins down the sidelines.

Edited by The Jokeman

I think you're pretty close, given what they showed in PS. But Roman was never that easy in SF -that an opponent could see this. My guess, and its only a guess, whoever is the 1st second TE into the lineup will be what we see predominantly- especially to hide different plays under the same look.

When Clay goes into the slot and another TE comes in, whole new package. Again, just my thinking. Belicheck* & Co. will have 10 days to review tape.... Our tape, that is..

So the fact that Gragg and Gray played pretty darn well in pre season now is a concern?

Gray worked with Roman before with the 49ers but I felt he had a quiet preseason. I was shocked to learn he had 7 catches this preseason as remember his drop more than anything.

I think you're pretty close, given what they showed in PS. But Roman was never that easy in SF -that an opponent could see this. My guess, and its only a guess, whoever is the 1st second TE into the lineup will be what we see predominantly- especially to hide different plays under the same look.

When Clay goes into the slot and another TE comes in, whole new package. Again, just my thinking. Belicheck* & Co. will have 10 days to review tape.... Our tape, that is..

Belicheck has 7 days to review our first game, as we play Indy on the 13th and the Patriots on the 20th. The three extra days he gets will be reviewing preseason film only.

Edited by The Jokeman

Gray worked with Roman before with the 49ers but I felt he had a quiet preseason. I was shocked to learn he had 7 catches this preseason as remember his drop more than anything.

Belicheck has 7 days to review our first game, as we play Indy on the 13th and the Patriots on the 20th. The three extra days he gets will be reviewing preseason film only.

Yeah, they have 10 days to prepare for us while watching the game (Videptaping it?) then review those tapes.

It will be interesting to see the different packages and combinations they use.

Wonder if we'll see any of them out of the backfield. I wouldn't be surprised.