Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

No ones bashing Cassel. We are defending EJ Manuel to those who say he's a BUST and can't improve.

Oh yes, there is plenty of MC bashing going on in here.

EJ hasn't proven yet that he isn't a bust.

His improvement is minimal at best, if any. A couple of good preseason throws doesn't prove squat as he had a couple of good throws in 2013 and 2014. He was starting back then, then became a backup last year and finally third string this year.

Sure does not seem like improvement to me. If he was any good, even just a bit he would have won this competition going away back in august. He didn't, time to move on. If TT is any good why bother keeping EJ, he won't ever play.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His improvement is minimal at best, if any. A couple of good preseason throws doesn't prove squat as he had a couple of good throws in 2013 and 2014. He was starting back then, then became a backup last year and finally third string this year.

Sure does not seem like improvement to me. If he was any good, even just a bit he would have won this competition going away back in august. He didn't, time to move on. If TT is any good why bother keeping EJ, he won't ever play.

He has proven he's not a BUST. He's still on the roster.

The QBS in competition with him have certainly improved... his competition year none was Lewis and Tuel. Will TT be better than Orton? Freaking hope so!

And you've jumped the shark.

First round pick, terrible second season where he showed little to no improvement and was promptly yanked from the field, had a cadet of die hard fans who defended him through thick and thin when he hadn't done anything substantial to earn their loyalty.

Maybin sucked more but there's a lot of parallels. JP is probably up there too.

First round pick, terrible second season where he showed little to no improvement and was promptly yanked from the field, had a cadet of die hard fans who defended him through thick and thin when he hadn't done anything substantial to earn their loyalty.

I honestly can't remember anyone defending Maybin.

Ignoring all the other baseless things you said, let me ask you - do you honestly believe what you just typed re:Maybin ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

What baseless things have I said?

Yes, I knew fans that defended Maybin after his first year. Didn't you?

There were a number of fans on this board who said that Maybin wasn't coached properly while he was with Bills and gave the example of his coverage sacks with the Jets as proof that he had been "coached up" .

There were a number of fans on this board who said that Maybin wasn't coached properly while he was with Bills and gave the example of his coverage sacks with the Jets as proof that he had been "coached up" .

Yep, I got tons of examples. How quickly we forget..

In these situations, it's often much more effective and efficient to come at it from the opposite side and start with the lesser number of "what base things have you ever said?" ;)

:lol: You'd have to dig back to 2011.

@jpq1999

Well done: Breaking down EJ Manuel's 2015 preseason performance http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/9/9/9286427/ej-manuel-scouting-report-2015-nfl-preseason

Conclusion

By scouting Manuel solely from his preseason tape, we're working with an incomplete picture. Manuel has thrown 30 passes in the preseason, which equates to about one football game. To suggest that Manuel should be starting (or at least playing ahead of Cassel) solely because of his 20-of-30 passing, 358 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions (or even because of four or five of his specific passing plays and the actions that took place on film), is misguided. Only the coaches know why they called the plays they did, and we don't have enough context to know whether Manuel or Cassel were playing up to the potential that their situations allowed for. The coaches also have the benefit of dozens of practices that can be used to evaluate whether each quarterback is playing the right way - practices that can be closed to the media.

Manuel has become a better player in his third NFL season. That's a good thing, because rookie-version Manuel had a long way to go, and sophomore Manuel was barely improved. That being said, he's still not where he should be, and he can still benefit by staying on the bench and honing his craft, like he did this past year. It may not be the sexiest conclusion, but Manuel still hasn't shed his "project" label. Keep working, watch the tape, work on those throwing mechanics, and Manuel may yet become the franchise quarterback everyone is hoping for. For now, the bench is the right place for Manuel to be. It sets the stage for the training montage leading into Manuel's triumphant return to the field at the end of this third act, should that come.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The 3rd season hasn't started yet, let alone ended. And the "3rd String" designation might not be what it seems in this case. EJM will get on the field this season, if only to try to raise his trade value. We will see how he does. Regardless, it's unlikely that he will be with the Bills next season, but I could see him developing enough that a team will give him a shot to start.

I still can't figure out any reason why so many seem to want EJM to fail? It can only be because they have ripped into him, and want to be proved "right".

"i believe Manuel earned a shot as the backup, but this doesn't bode well for his career. hoping i'm wrong, because the kid could have cashed 'em in and moped. even now, he's staying positive. just an easy guy to root for." - which part of this statement gives you the impression i want EJ to fail?

as far as this recitation by many that in Manuel's case, 3rd string isn't really the "3rd string", and he'll get chances to lead the offense in season - i have to wonder where this fantasy comes from..

barring injury to Tyrod - which no Bills fan should want - Cassel starts, EJ will spend this season preparing the varsity defense with the JV offense. that's it.. some weeks he may not dress..

the idea that this staff wants Cassel as a backup QB in name only, and he will defer the starting job to the 3rd stringer if the starter falls, is something i've never seen happen in football - at any level - it's why depth charts are developed.

Romo. He was 2nd string his 3rd year after being 3rd string his prior two.

and EJ is 3rd string in his 3rd year

Edited by BackInDaDay

"i believe Manuel earned a shot as the backup, but this doesn't bode well for his career. hoping i'm wrong, because the kid could have cashed 'em in and moped. even now, he's staying positive. just an easy guy to root for." - which part of this statement gives you the impression i want EJ to fail?

as far as this recitation by many that in Manuel's case, 3rd string isn't really the "3rd string", and he'll get chances to lead the offense in season - i have to wonder where this fantasy comes from..

barring injury to Tyrod - which no Bills fan should want - Cassel starts, EJ will spend this season preparing the varsity defense with the JV offense. that's it.. some weeks he may not dress..

the idea that this staff wants Cassel as a backup QB in name only, and he will defer the starting job to the 3rd stringer if the starter falls, is something i've never seen happen in football - at any level - it's why depth charts are developed.

and EJ is 3rd string in his 3rd year

We shall see, Biddy.